Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Have you registered/paid the HC?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Registered/have paid or will do so today

11 29.73%
  • Registered although don't have to pay

1 2.70%
  • Not registered, not liable to pay yet anyway

10 27.03%
  • Boycotting this charge in the hope uptake is low that it has to be scrapped

15 40.54%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Household Charge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

The Household Charge

Now that the deadline is looming, who is risking the fines boycotting this charge in the hope it'll be done away with, or if your liable, have you already registered and pay/intend to do so before the deadline expires? Just a simple survey to see have opinions since changed.
    Last edited by horton; 30/03/2012 at 8:16 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Well I'm in the UK, but parents are not paying - never got anything from state, never voted for FG/FF, paid taxes all their life so don't think they should be responsible for the bailing out of the banks. Also what services do people in the countryside exactly get, as we have to pay a private company for our rubbish collection.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Registered and paid. imo, not wanting to "bail out the banks" is the lamest excuse ever, and could be used for every single tax we have. And we have our own well, waste water treatment system and pay a private company for waste. However, "what services do we get" is also a pretty lame excuse, as I do use the local and regional roads, library, leisure centre, parks, children use the playgrounds, the council owned theatre.

It's a tax. Evasion of this tax is no more justifiable than for any other form of tax. If you don't like it, vote the Government out the next time. It's a regressive tax, but we've loads of regressive taxes and charges. The fuss over this compared to the couple hours fuss over bank charges, when bank charges will cost most families far more, is ridiculous imo.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Also what services do people in the countryside exactly get, as we have to pay a private company for our rubbish collection.
    No one in the city gets their rubbish collected without paying a private company either...

Haven't paid. Probably will. Went to register for DD payments but couldn't for some reason. Haven't had a chance to yet

It's a tax though, not a charge. They've handled it's roll out pretty poorly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Registered and paid. imo, not wanting to "bail out the banks" is the lamest excuse ever, and could be used for every single tax we have.

It's a tax. Evasion of this tax is no more justifiable than for any other form of tax. If you don't like it, vote the Government out the next time. It's a regressive tax, but we've loads of regressive taxes and charges.
    If people don't pay their taxes, they go to prison. If people don't pay this, they get a what, a fine??

It's not a tax. It's a load of rubbish, that will collect a miniscule amount of money in the overall deficit. Just another way of getting the public to bail out failed gamblers from years ago.

I think most of those who have paid, and will pay, are the ones who can afford to. Most of the rest don't like it, but voting the Government out because of it is not possible, as the opposition want it too. So instead the public have for once stood up and said, no.
    Last edited by mypost; 30/03/2012 at 4:47 PM.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There's always options in elections. EVERY tax is going to pay bankers debts to some degree. there's no way there's that many can't pays. All the small amounts in taxes and cuts in the budget add up - it's another of those headwrecking arguments.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Registered and paid. imo, not wanting to "bail out the banks" is the lamest excuse ever, and could be used for every single tax we have. And we have our own well, waste water treatment system and pay a private company for waste. However, "what services do we get" is also a pretty lame excuse, as I do use the local and regional roads, library, leisure centre, parks, children use the playgrounds, the council owned theatre.

It's a tax. Evasion of this tax is no more justifiable than for any other form of tax. If you don't like it, vote the Government out the next time. It's a regressive tax, but we've loads of regressive taxes and charges. The fuss over this compared to the couple hours fuss over bank charges, when bank charges will cost most families far more, is ridiculous imo.

Good for you that you paid, good lad. But you are not so quick to tell me what people in the countryside will get from these taxes? Clean parks,lol. Leisure centres, lol. Playgrounds,lol.
    Bailing out aib and the likes have left less money for essential services, in case you havent noticed!!!
    Wonder what world you are living in

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    What has bailing out the banks got to do with this tax, that couldn't be similarly argued with the other tax increases we've had to endure? Is it ok to evade VAT as that was increased inline with the terms of the programme? I do live in the country. so your folks don't use any local services at all? Never travel a regional road? There's more services than drinking and waste water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    What has bailing out the banks got to do with this tax, that couldn't be similarly argued with the other tax increases we've had to endure? Is it ok to evade VAT as that was increased inline with the terms of the programme? I do live in the country. so your folks don't use any local services at all? Never travel a regional road? There's more services than drinking and waste water.
    Wow - so the banking collapse and the bailouts have nothing to do with this or all the ensuing taxes on the way - wow, blinkered!
    No they dont use any local services. A regional road,lol. Again have you see the state of the roads and hedgerows! So we have to pay this tax for the upkeep of the roads. Jesus why do people pay tax at all!!
    Will you be paying the septic tank charge, the water rates (which is a good idea, but in Ireland with leaky pipes!), the proposed tv/net thing Labour are on about, or any more new taxes they can think of. Yeah pay up and be the good citizen, governments love people like you. Of course paying back bondholders has nothing to do with it at all, tsk
    I suppose we are all in this together and should tighten our belts and other such guff.
    Father already lost a good bit on his pension - mother never got a benefit in her life - worked hard - raised a family - never got anything from state and dont expect anything - but yeah please the roads the roads....................
    Westmeath wasting 70 million on a new state of the art council building with library in 2007 wasn't exactly needed - when what they had before was fine, not when the army barracks, mental hospital are closed and the local hospital downgraded and maybe closed in the future - yeah pay your council tax!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    This isn't been used to fund local services, its collected to show the foreigners, that we're not rioting like the Greeks, and meeting their targets instead. As Hogan said last week, it wouldn't look good "internationally", if we didn't pay up.

Fine, you've done what the government/FF told you to do. Will you pay up in full your USC, VAT, bag tax, water tax, second home tax, credit card stamp duty tax this week too, etc, etc? And will you pass the treaty, because the government want you to do that too? At what point do you say "no"?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    what people in the countryside will get from these taxes?
    Offhand, road repairs, road markings, gulleys and culverts maintained, traffic calming, hedgetrimming, water supply, environmental services, litter control, fire service, civil defence, animal pounds, maintaining the electoral register, housing, social housing, planning permission, urban/village renewal schemes, heritage protection, education (VECs), libraries (any mobile ones left, these days?) parks... And of, course, for the few occasions when they leave their utopian, no-funding-necessary, self-sustaining idylls and are forced to visit towns and villages: footpaths, street lighting, gumbusting machines, swimming pools, arts centres... is that enough?

Look: it's a charge that nobody wants to pay. But every penny that is withheld in payment will contribute to keeping us in economic subjugation to the Troika for longer, during which time we'll see more wards closed, bigger class sizes, unemployment and emigration etc etc. Personally, I'd tar and feather all the bankers and their political buddies responsible for the mess we're in (and anybody in FF, which abolished domestic rates in the first case) but I wouldn't use a misplaced sense of righteous indignation to jeopardise the state's ability to fund other services. It's often forgotten these days, but the tax cheats who hid their money in off-shore accounts in the 1980s were, through their personal greed and disregard for the law, at least partly responsible for cutbacks in health and education funding post-1987 and the PNR.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    . Will you pay up in full your USC, VAT, bag tax, water tax, second home tax, credit card stamp duty tax this week too, etc, etc? And will you pass the treaty, because the government want you to do that too? At what point do you say "no"?
    Since most of those taxes and charges are collected at source: yes. Just as you will. Of course, you can minimise your liability by not having a second home (Jesus, it'd be great to own even one...), not having a credit card, reusing sturdy shopping bags, avoiding purchasing anything on which VAT is levied etc etc.

I won't be voting to pass the referendum, though. I think we can agree on that much
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Offhand, road repairs, road markings, gulleys and culverts maintained, traffic calming, hedgetrimming, water supply, environmental services, litter control, fire service, civil defence, animal pounds, maintaining the electoral register, housing, social housing, planning permission, urban/village renewal schemes, heritage protection, education (VECs), libraries (any mobile ones left, these days?) parks... And of, course, for the few occasions when they leave their utopian, no-funding-necessary, self-sustaining idylls and are forced to visit towns and villages: footpaths, street lighting, gumbusting machines, swimming pools, arts centres... is that enough?

Look: it's a charge that nobody wants to pay. But every penny that is withheld in payment will contribute to keeping us in economic subjugation to the Troika for longer, during which time we'll see more wards closed, bigger class sizes, unemployment and emigration etc etc. R.
    No thats not enough, nearly none of your examples apply to where I live. A road is basically it! LOL - seriosuly this is rural Ireland, not germany, and you would really want to have a look the land of the never never - you could easily get lost in the boglands of the midlands.

Dont believe that bull that this is for essential services - its getting suckers to pay for services that once were paid for, the money then can re reused to pay back the loans from Europe, which was of course to bail out the bankers. FG have said so as much

if you want to pay then that's fine, but then get used to tax's and don't complain.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    I'm from Roscommon - I'm well familiar with bog roads! When all is said and done, there is a huge debt to pay off; either we take money from frontline services to pay for it, or we collect money from other sources. Not a palatable choice either way, but given a choice between reducing funding for schools and hospitals or paying the charge I'd prefer the latter. The whole issue hasn't been helped by Hogan's utter incompetence and arrogance, on the one hand, and the no-side's (ULA,SF) using the issue as a vote getting exercise on the other.

Somebody said to me the other day that at most this year the charge can only raise €160,000,000... Maybe I missed something, but since when can we describe that amount of money as 'only'?

BTW, €70m for an Arts Centre? Ye must have gotten solid gold taps for that!! (Or maybe, just ridden rock solid!!)
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Yeah I understand that but I thought FG were going to burn the bondholders, eh? talking about throwing money away.

Again expect the ordinary decent skins to bail out the mistakes of the few, well about a million or so have said enough is enough. Giving money to the government in any shape or form is wastage. In my locality (well home!) people are buying fuel from Poland (instead of from Bord na Mona up the road), local food from markets, and butchers are selling meat directly door to door - screw the politicians wasting our money.
    Patriotism my hole, we are not all in this together, we never were in the good times and we will do our best not to be in the bad times either. (argh!)

I'm sorry but they are taking the money from frontline services anyway and its not because the irish are not paying enough in taxes.

(was for new council hq plus library not arts centre)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Fine, you've done what the government/FF told you to do. Will you pay up in full your USC, VAT, bag tax, water tax, second home tax, credit card stamp duty tax this week too, etc, etc? And will you pass the treaty, because the government want you to do that too? At what point do you say "no"?
    I don't evade any tax. So yes, I will be paying the taxes that the democratically elected government decided to introduce, in line with their policy before the election (just as I've done when it's been administrations without majority support, who I didn't vote for). FG and Labour were committed to the troika programme in the run up to the election, there was no promise or even hinted at promise to renegotiate the need for a property tax. There were options of parties and people who wanted to rip up the agreement - the vast majority voted to work with the programme. This Government have a mandate, and opinion polls suggest they would get another if there was an election tomorrow.

It's clear the intention is that the property tax will go to fund local services. What happens to the money that comes from central Government is a seperate matter, but all FG/ Labour said pre election was renegotiation of the programme (another change in the terms this week), so I think that is a bogus argument.

I haven't decided on the treaty yet - but that's the people's right to vote that down. Just as they had the options to vote in politicians who didn't support the troika programme just over a year ago, just as they will at the next election (assuming we're not out of the programme).

A week after Mahon, and I'm actually getting criticised for paying bloody tax!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

A week after Mahon, and I'm actually getting criticised for paying bloody tax!
    Big difference surely.
    Good that you are happy to pay for the bailout. And good that you do what your politicians tell you. You must be a good patriot.
    Democracy in Ireland means having to suffer under the likes of FF,FG and Labour. Some of us are not happy with these choices, and will not follow their orders either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Some of us are not happy with these choices, and will not follow their orders either!
    Not a fan of democracy?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Not a fan of democracy?
    Nah, not Irish style really - but isnt that understandable? Bertie, Cowen, Haughey, Lenihan Clan, Donie Cassidy, Inda Kenny, Labour - Follow what they say, are ya feckin crazy!!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Big difference surely.
    Good that you are happy to pay for the bailout. And good that you do what your politicians tell you. You must be a good patriot.
    Democracy in Ireland means having to suffer under the likes of FF,FG and Labour. Some of us are not happy with these choices, and will not follow their orders either!
    Ah look, you can go back and look at my views on the blanket guarantee that got us into the position of needing a bailout. However, the people spoke last year, and overwhelming returned parties and politicians that supported the continuation of the troika programme. Opinion polls suggest this Government would be returned if there was a snap election now. There were enough candidates that didn't support remaining in it that a majority against could've been voted in. Like it or not, and in my lifetime it's been mostly not, the people have already spoken.

A property tax is in the programme. Should I evade USC because that was introduced to pay for a situation caused by the banks and FF? Should I evade income tax, which has risen to pay for a situation caused by the banks and FF? Whatabout VAT? Increase health service charges? Increased fuel taxes? Should I embezzle from the job to make up for pay cuts to pay for a situation caused by the banks and FF?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast