Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sponsored Holidays

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Sponsored Holidays

Just got the latest company magazine, and a big spread on someone who went on some trek for a charity. Now, fair fúcks for raising the money for the charity, but why dress it up as something it's not. It's a sponsored holiday for the person actually going, as much as raising funds for the charity.

Just kinda reminded me why I don't sponsor such things, and I thought I'd get it off my chest....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Just got the latest company magazine, and a big spread on someone who went on some trek for a charity. Now, fair fúcks for raising the money for the charity, but why dress it up as something it's not. It's a sponsored holiday for the person actually going, as much as raising funds for the charity.

Just kinda reminded me why I don't sponsor such things, and I thought I'd get it off my chest....
    You trying to give up smokes again or something?

In the end of the day the whole point of the excercise is to raise money for charity. If they didnt offer the sponsored holidays then sadly most people wouldnt do it.

Just like the Lotto really
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SÓC
    Someone will sponsor me to play the Lotto

Have Boot Disk, will travel

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    You trying to give up smokes again or something?

In the end of the day the whole point of the excercise is to raise money for charity. If they didnt offer the sponsored holidays then sadly most people wouldnt do it.

Maybe most people wouldn't do it, but what gets on my wick is the people that think they're great for doing it.

At least the lotto is honest - you're paying to win something, whilst at the same time supporting charities and groups that are underfunded by the Government....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Few years ago bunch of pople from work got sponsored for NY marathon but they also put up the £500-600 of their own money for the expenses which is correct.

If someone just takes the expenses out of the contribution then yes its just sponsored holiday.

btw Marathon is one thing but i wouldn't be queuing up to sponsor someone for a walk.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Someone will sponsor me to play the Lotto

Grrr....the idea of the lotto is that you give 50c to charity everytime. Now people wouldnt just walk into their local shop and hand over 50c out of the goodness of their heart, they need to be coaxed into doing it, by prize money.

Sadly Ireland is fairly full of Mé Féiners and this is the only way to get things done.

People thinking they are great for doing it, well that is a bit silly alright
    Oh no not them again

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Sadly Ireland is fairly full of Mé Féiners and this is the only way to get things done.
    Or maybe a fairer tax regime, and thus better support for the communities/ groups that a hell of a lot of these charities are trying to help?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    At least the lotto is honest - you're paying to win something, whilst at the same time supporting charities and groups that are underfunded by the Government....
    How is the lotto more honest?

Don't deny it, fock all of the people buying lotto tickets are buying them due to the charitable nature of them. There is only one thing on their mind.

In relation to putting up yer own funds, most of the people who do go on those trips put up what they can afford and get the rest by organising table quizzes, etc. i.e. there is a resultant social input. I have no problem with them at all. Ineveitably the money is 'earned' and the charity gets a chunk as well.

The most admirable ones are the people who spend time in the area the charity is working in. They are collecting charity money and then going out there and putting it to use. What more can you do?

Those guys on the street wreck my head with the clipboards. Have you ever seen the breakdown of how much of every euro actualy goes to admin, expenses, THE PERSON COLLECTING THE CASH, etc. before the 'kids on the tv' get anything.
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but what gets on my wick is the people that think they're great for doing it.

Agreed whole-heartedly re the walkers and strollers
    "I don’t want to tempt fate, but Thierry Henry is not having one of his best nights." - RTE co-commentator Jim Beglin, minutes before TH struck the stunning winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Ireland is full of people looking for a handout too and I make no apology for being sick of most of them.
    I made the mistake of buying a ticket from Focus once and they've plagued me ever since with junk mail looking for more money. That's the last time I give them anything.
    If I ever play Lotto it's purely so that I may win something.
    If a friend is in need then I hope I'm in a position to be charitable but other than that, I don't want to know.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Or maybe a fairer tax regime, and thus better support for the communities/ groups that a hell of a lot of these charities are trying to help?
    By fairer I assume you mean one tax band for everyone thus not punishing people for their success

I actually agree Macy, IMO there should be higher taxes on the likes Fags, Drink and petrol to helo pay for the same people you're talking about
    Oh no not them again

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Firstly I didn't specify which Government, it was actually all Governments I was talking about. However, would you not accept that the current Government has had far more money to play with (reaping the benefits sown by the Rainbow), and has chose to reduce taxes at the same time as reducing services?

If services were properly supported by a progressive tax regime, the lotto money could then go to the "extras". At present, too much lotto money (and actually charity money in general) is going to provide essential services that the state should be providing.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    IMacy, there's selective memory and there's selective memory but suggesting that the Rainbow Coalition was somehow solely responsible for the economic growth is remarkable.
    No more so than FF/PD's and especially McCreevy claiming sole responsibility.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

macy my bank account number is below
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    My experience of these 'sponsored holidays' is that they're a very good thing for the Charity. We seem to agree from this thread alone, Irish people in general don't like giving without receiving.

Companies often use the charity donation tax write-off to sponsor these cycle/trek/walking tours which means that the Charity itself has little to pay and practically all the money raised by individuals goes to the charity itself.

IMO, it's a good way of getting people who might not normally contrubute to put their hands in their pockets, even if they do benefit with a great trip and 'think they're great' at the end of it, the charity comes out the winner.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ok i'll give rant on this and then let you decide......

i leave dublin for new yorkon a thursday, i arrive thursday afternoon and have to go and register..then i go for a 5 mile run to keep loose.

friday, i do some shopping and another run, i also have a meeting.

sat, i have a pasta party, not really a party, just a way of getting carbos into my body for the next day, then home and bed by 8.

sun, up at 5/6 am to get a bus to start line, i do a 2 mile warm up for the race. then i run 26.2 miles at 11 am, i hope to be finish by 4 and then its off for a massage and prob bed cause i'll be in bits.

mon. i do a run to keep muscles active and try, depends on how i am . hopfully a few drinks if i can.

fly home tuesday...

there is what a "free holiday" is to some people.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    I'm even suspect of the number of people who watched the programme on the Irish construction workers in South Africa and said they wanted to go - tan in the winter, bit of craic and bonding, a chance to really purge your soul and feel that you're making a difference, sounds alright to me.
    In fairness Conor, they were actually making a difference, they weren't just over there for a bit of a jog around central park....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ha ha ha, Im in South Korea now on a "free holiday"

I was at a Youth Festival for Peace in Seoul 2 weeks ago and Ive extended my time here for 5 extra weeks To be honest, it was fairly tough going and everyday was packed (the schedule is here ). 3 of us arrived after 15 hours traveling to go (litterally) in the door on arrival and start it. No free time and up each morning at 7 for brekkie and had events organised until 11pm each night (and much later for those who were more heavely involved). Not a sniff of sight seeing although I supppose you could call the trip to the DeMiliterised Zone (DMZ) a day out, but it was linked to what we were up to.

From what Ive seen since the programme has finished, I wouldnt really recommend comming here (kinda boring tbh) but some stuff like the buddest monestries are out of this world!

To be fair, alot of people put in serious hours with little recognition or help to genuinely (sp?) try to make a difference to peoples lives. You might see the 2 weeks they do "strolling" around but you dont see the early weekend mornings/time off work for months before-hand and living on bread and water while they're away. Most 'trips' just pay for the flights (if that at all) and a good bit of money that normally wouldnt go to charity does.

STOP YOU'RE COMPLAINING AND DO SOMETHING YOU'RSELF IF YOU FEEL SO STRONGLY ABOUT CHARITY!!!

PS I also got an EU funded trip to Spain 2 years ago, now that was a junket! 1 week of the 2 was basically dedicated to learning about Spanish culture via the Fiesta that was going on at the time
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In fairness Conor, they were actually making a difference, they weren't just over there for a bit of a jog around central park....

i'll put that out if character comment down to pre wedding blues

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    i'll put that out if character comment down to pre wedding blues
    Too late to bite now, that was my Friday bait....