Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ward V Wilson

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'm not happy about Ward either and think he's a big risk against the type of opposition we're playing. I'd prefer Carrigaline's back 4 too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    It echoes my own opinion - he was the worst player on the pitch that night and goal.com got it right.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anyone's arguing that he's Ashley Cole in his prime, but he's a good player and his introduction to the team has coincided with a marked improvement in our defensive record. His is a case - not unlike St Ledger the past couple of years - where his poor form for his club has belied his thriving at international level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wouldn't argue that he's Ashley Cole in his post prime. I'd say Ward was definitely told not to get too far forward against the Czechs
    It's not a big deal for me whether it's Ward or Wilson. And the only form I'd seriously consider about Ward are his games for us. I don't know why Trap hasn't recalled Wilson to the squad. I presume one reason is that he's going for 7 back four players for the Finals squad but there's no outstanding football ability reason. Wilson strokes the ball forward with greater accuracy and has a good composure. When you think about it, that mistaken identity retraction was a bit too weird to make any sense, who else could Trap have been referring to, Best?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think Ward's failings also mean that McGeady has to do a lot of extra work, and as a result isn't as effective as he should be - like Duff on the right, who is helped by O'Shea - McGeady often has to track back to help out, leaving him playing deeper than he should be. I'd have O'Shea left and Kelly right too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Have you not observed Duff tracking back? Is McGeady any more preoccupied with defensive duties than Duff?

How many full backs do we have that can deal with a tricky winger on their own? How many times have Duff and McGeady been left with only one defender to deal with?
    Usually in that situation, once bitten by either McGeady or Duff, the opposition makes sure to close the threat with sufficient numbers.
    Our problem isn't so much having Ward at LB, it's with getting the ball cleanly to the feet of McGeady/Duff and supporting them. Usually Ward needs no encouragement to get forward, however in the Czech game he played a more restrained role.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Have you not observed Duff tracking back? Is McGeady any more preoccupied with defensive duties than Duff?
    I have, but just that he doesn't have to stay back as much as McGeady because O'Shea is more secure - and delivers the ball out of defence better. Kilbane was much better than Ward at feeding the left winger too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Ward has been terrible all season though.
    He's been terrible every season. But unlike Wilson he turns up when requested.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I have just turned on the Stoke v Spurs game. Inside 2 minutes, 1 atrocious cross by Wilson on 44 minutes allowing Spurs to break away and one non tackle on 45 mins.

I don't know if I have the nerves to watch the 2nd half. Maybe he had a good first 43 minutes?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    I have, but just that he doesn't have to stay back as much as McGeady because O'Shea is more secure - and delivers the ball out of defence better. Kilbane was much better than Ward at feeding the left winger too.
    One thing is for sure, neither O'Shea nor Ward did their full back duty of feeding the wingers with any remarkable distinction in the last game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    One thing is for sure, neither O'Shea nor Ward did their full back duty of feeding the wingers with any remarkable distinction in the last game.
    Very true unfortunately. I'd like to see Kelly get a run-out against Bosnia or Hungary to see if he can offer something better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    A mixed 2nd half for Wilson, he got skinned, waltzed around and bypassed, all inside the first 5 minutes, then later on he hit 3 lovely long balls planted right onto Crouch's head.

He made a crunching tackle on Walker, studs uppish, won the ball but the trailing leg floored Walker, not too dissimilar to what Hunt got a red card for against the Czechs. The ref here didn't blink an eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    quoting goal.com for anything is a banning offence on some forums
    Dunno what you're talking about tets, goal.com always talk perfect sense ;-)

I was at Craven Cottage last month for Fulham v Stoke and saw Wilson's performance as unremarkable. I agree Ward has looked somewhat shaky on occasions from watching him on Match of the Day.

An interesting debate but somewhat futile; does anybody really think Trap will call Wilson up now? I would be hugely surprised.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ward is awful anybody who has watched him over the last 2 seasons for wolves and cant see that knows nothing about football.

You can use that argument about each player individually at wolves, and try to make a claim for each one and defend each one, but collectively they are all making mistakes and conceding a huge amount of goals.

Id literally have anyone ahead of him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I just want a full back who can stop crosses, gets goal side when defending and doesn't just follow the ball like an 8 year old but will instead track runners if required.

Unfortunately Ward fails in every department and is a liability. He isn't a defender so I can understand why he struggles but I fear the Trap will persist.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I just want a full back who can stop crosses, gets goal side when defending and doesn't just follow the ball like an 8 year old but will instead track runners if required.
    That rules out Wilson then, based on last night's game. Of all our full back options he looks the easiest target for a winger to get past.
    Over 50 minutes of football, one on ones, he was left stranded 4 out of 4 times. Although Spurs are more a left sided team - worked the other flank most of the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    That rules out Wilson then, based on last night's game. Of all our full back options he looks the easiest target for a winger to get past.
    Over 50 minutes of football, one on ones, he was left stranded 4 out of 4 times. Although Spurs are more a left sided team - worked the other flank most of the time.
    I'd be in the put 'O'Shea' at LB club. Wilson looks like a CB to me but I admit I've seen very little of Stoke this season bar highlights (thank God) so couldn't say how well he has done at LB.

I don't want to be too greedy, I just want our defenders to do the basics well because. We can leave the bombing forward to Alves and Lahm.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    I'd take all of Clark, Kilbane, Harte, JOS, Kelly and O'Dea over Ward or Wilson at LB personally. I'd probably switch Stephen Hunt there sooner than I'd play Ward too. Wilson is a mercenary with no commitment to Ireland and little better then Stephen Ireland other than he has the cop on to fake injury rather than granny deaths when he gets a call up to an undesirable game or bench slot. He shouldn't even be a consideration amongst fans because he certainly won't with trap.

On what might actually happen Wards positioning is awful, his tackling is awful and his support play is ok to decent. He's the worst possible option and was the worst player I'd ever seen at LB against Russia away and whatever the previous qualifier was in that match week too. His club form is bizarre since he's appeared consistently poor for Wolves yet has stayed in favour there regardless. I'd imagine next season regardless of which league they're in the squad overhaul will begin with replacing him.
    Our options at LB are unfortunately limited and we've no actual proper left back. Kelly is awkward on that side and so is JOS these days too apparently, Clark/O'Dea are converted fullbacks which is never ideal. Harte can defend about as well as Ward and Kilbane while the most positionally and defensively adept will get done for pace.
    Its the weakest area of our team and to go to area for any team to target regardless of who we put there.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If Wilson was a mercenary he'd have gone back to the north, or just retired from international football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Our defensive record of fatal mistakes from the LB zone has really improved since Ward came along, not to mention the goal scoring ratio to games played, breaking the all time LB record.

I think we all know and stoically accept certain limitations in ability, eg. Josh getting his foot onto a loose ball in the box, a metre out from an empty goal, is not a sure thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast