Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North-South cup....NO CITY?!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Overall it seems like a good idea, decent prize money and more TV coverage than the EL has gotten over the last few years. I think they will fiddle around with the format over the years, maybe increase to 8 teams. People are talking about a fixture pile-up but from next year we will only have 33 league games so we wont be playing any more matches than we are now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Bit strange having 3 teams per group as will mean 1 eL team stuck with 2 IL
    Surely that's an unfair advantage to the eL team?
    In the other group you'd have to play another decent team.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well it's more important than ever to finish in the top 2 now. We can't win the cup, so every game has to be treated like a Euro game from now on. This competition would get the crowds out the Cross, more bobs for us, prizemoney and a chance to visit our neighbours!

I have to say though that if City don't get to play in this, (and obviously if we are not top two, we won't), then the best supported team on the island aren't in it, and Cogley used poor attendances as his/RTE's excuse for not going to certain grounds. We simply MUST get a place in this.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    agree with patsh. its very important that city get into this competition to show everyone what we are made of and the wonderful support we can generate. the drive for second place must begin on friday with a win over pats.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Entry for any competition like this has to be based on merit! If you don't finish high enough in the league then you have no right to partake.

Would it make sense that the 3 teams qualifying for this would not enter the eL league cup?
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

thecorner
    live on setanta sports

correct me if im wrong but isnt that station pay-per-view

cant see many bar-stoolers paying for that

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    I have to say though that if City don't get to play in this, (and obviously if we are not top two, we won't), then the best supported team on the island aren't in it, and Cogley used poor attendances as his/RTE's excuse for not going to certain grounds. We simply MUST get a place in this.
    Thats ridiculous arguement, sure put Rovers in it as they're the most famous name. If you lot are as good as you claim, you'll qualify.

Anyone notice that if the Cup winners have already qualified for Europe the Setanta Cup place goes to third in the league, however the runner up currently (and no mention of a change) goes into the UEFA as things currently stand... Why not use the same system as the European places?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    live on setanta sports

correct me if im wrong but isnt that station pay-per-view

cant see many bar-stoolers paying for that
    Free on NTL, €10 a month on Sky (with the SPL, Premiership (15 Saturday games) and Celtic league Rugby). Most bar stoolers probably already subscribed by then...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    Anyone notice that if the Cup winners have already qualified for Europe the Setanta Cup place goes to third in the league, however the runner up currently (and no mention of a change) goes into the UEFA as things currently stand... Why not use the same system as the European places?
    I certainly wouldn't disagree with changing to that as won't take any of the "glamour" of the FAI from small teams or non-leaguers. We need the best teams in Europe & league is most consistent gauge of that.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats ridiculous arguement, sure put Rovers in it as they're the most famous name.

I should have known there would be someone who would get the wrong end of the stick, and of course it had to be you....
    Cogley stated that the reason why RTE had poor coverage of the eL had a lot to do with poor attendances at some grounds. Based on that argument, City should be in the competition.
    As I said in my post, if we don'tfinish in the top two, we don't get into the competition. NOWHERE did I claim that City should get a place based on attendance.
    Now read posts properly, before you make "ridiculous" arguments or statements.....

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I certainly wouldn't disagree with changing to that as won't take any of the "glamour" of the FAI from small teams or non-leaguers. We need the best teams in Europe & league is most consistent gauge of that.
    Wasn't necessarily saying which way it should be, but it should be the same for both. However, the UEFA cup place for the FAI Cup came about when the Cup Winners Cup was scraped. In every league where a double was done, the losing finalist went into the Cup Winners Cup (didn't apply if it was a UEFA Cup qualifier who won the cup, as the Cup Winners Cup took precendent.)

In fairness Patsh, I wasn't particularly trying to have a dig, but I reckon you could've phrased that second paragraph a bit better "We MUST get a place in it"...

btw Another el General thread in the Cork forum

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness Patsh, I wasn't particularly trying to have a dig, but I reckon you could've phrased that second paragraph a bit better "We MUST get a place in it"...
    Fair enough, but the MUST referred to a must for City to gain entry to this cup.
    btw Another el General thread in the Cork forum
    Well don't you think we can have a discussion about a competition from a City point of view?..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    With Shels winning tonight and look set to make a mint from their Euro exploits, its vital that City qualify for this competition with all the money being thrown at it. We must get 2nd in the league.

League cup should be scrapped as well. It'll be treated like an U21 game for teams in Europe and Setanta Cup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12