Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: substitutes

thecorner

substitutes

anybody else think that dolan could be using them better

from the last few games,if he is to take a striker,shouldnt it be flynny.

everything is going through fenn but yet gets taking off every game.

flynny just isnt doing it at the moment,time for a break

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aagree with that. dolan is very slow in making substitutions in games. in many games where we need a change, he makes a sub in the 90th minute!! UCD cup game for example! Whats the use in bringing a guy on for a minute or two?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    flynny just isnt doing it at the moment,time for a break
    Bizzare logic there.
    He's not back to his very best after his injury but all he needs is a bit of consistency and a few trademark goals to get him back motoring again.
    That wont happen if he's not playing.
    I'd prefer to see a bigger player up front with him.
    Too many times Fenn runs the same way as O'Flynn and reduces attacking options and makes defending easier.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar
    Too many times Fenn runs the same way as O'Flynn and reduces attacking options and makes defending easier.
    Sorry Peadar, but if it's a case of one getting in the other's way at the moment, flynny is the one doing the damage.
    Fenn has been excellent recently, I reckon John looks wrecked, maybe he's tried to do to much too quickly after injury, but he's not himself at the mo'.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Sorry Peadar, but if it's a case of one getting in the other's way at the moment, flynny is the one doing the damage.
    I've seen Fenn do it no matter who his strike partner is but it wasn't a problem in previous seasons with O'Flynn.
    By deduction, I assign fault to Fenn.
    That's by no means a stone cold fact or a personal attack on Neal Fenn.
    I'm glad to have him at the club but am unsure about the potential success of that partnership.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by namloc
    dolan is very slow in making substitutions in games. in many games where we need a change, he makes a sub in the 90th minute!! UCD cup game for example! Whats the use in bringing a guy on for a minute or two?
    Totally agree. 70th minute is when you should be thinking about subs, not the 90th. Look what Nantes did to us at the Cross when they brought on Pujol - he caused havoc and confused us completely at a time when our mental strength was vunerable... result: he scores! Last minute subs are great for wasting time, not what you want to do when you're 1-0 down (ie v's UCD).

Sorry, don't mean to be too critical. Dolan's doing a great job, but his sub's thing really winds me up!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    it does seem strange that we haven't seen more rotation...

we have some good players who could come in and do a job: billy for doyle, nwankwo for kearney, and gamble, who could replace georgie, or free him to play up front. with such a heavy schedule lately surely some players would benefit from a rest, and the guys coming in have the chance to impress and maybe win a place in the first 11.

having said that, when you believe that you know your best team it must be hard to change it.

it's related to the substitution thing, making very late changes or none at all. i agree that a sub needs time to influence a game...

only answer i can think of is that dolan must trust the players he sends out to do the job. i mean, you'd count on jof to score if a good chance fell to him in the 90th minute, so just leave him out there. unless a player is injured or totally bate i don't think dolan will take him off. it's just his style.
    UEFA Intertoto Cup 2004

P6 W3 D2 L1

Legends.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc105
    unless a player is injured or totally bate i don't think dolan will take him off. it's just his style.
    True enough of late, but last season he was subbing the subs...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSS
    True enough of late, but last season he was subbing the subs...
    in fairness i think that was down to injury, if i remember right...
    UEFA Intertoto Cup 2004

P6 W3 D2 L1

Legends.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think we could do with making changes a bit earlier, but I also think Dolan has earned the right to do things his way after the way he managed us in Europe. I'm sure he has his eye on what will bring us real success over time- lets face it, if flynny running into fenn or vice versa 4 or 5 times this season and us not winning a game or two because of it meant winning the league next year because they'd learned from it- which of us will be complaining?
    I would like to see Behan, Nwankwo and Swneeny given a run over the next few weeks though. Colin T looked wrecked against drogs and sweeney is a hell of player

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cant believe people are saying Fylnn needs a rest. He has been City's only consistant goal scorer over the last few seasons. All he needs are more games to get his sharpness or confidence back. Dolan could use his subs a bit earlier(and not a right back for another right back either) but in fairness he stuck with the same team away to Nantes and Fenn came up trumps with a late goal that kept the tie alive.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc105
    in fairness i think that was down to injury, if i remember right...
    Sometimes - but he took Casey and Behan off un-injured aswell.

thecorner
    georgie taking off for gamble tonight, dunno wether it was enforced on dolan or not

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thecorner
    georgie taking off for gamble tonight, dunno wether it was enforced on dolan or not
    even though we had a bit more time on the ball than against Drogs, Georgie didn't stand out tonight. It seems to be up to Fenn of late to set up Flynnie.
    Gamble did well when he came on.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Good to see Georgie and Flynny being taken off once the second goal went in to give them a break. I would've liked to have seen him taken Doyler off at that stage because he was having a very quiet game but then he scored that lovely little back flick so it worked out well!!