Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP eirebhoy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Anyone see the interview on The Saturday Night show on RTÉ with his mother? Almost put a tear to the eye, never really knew him, wasn't the most regular poster at the time, but seemed to be a great chap all round by what people say. RIP
    I remember thinking at the time that his mom almost seemed like a woman who had been prepared for the tragedy, given her composure and compassion. She alluded to this in the interview, a mother's intuition really is a powerful thing.

We really don't know anything about this Australian guy's character, other than one drunken argument/fight outside a chip shop. We'll also never know for sure whether he actually felt threatened or just wanted to lash out. With this in mind I think it's better for everybody involved that he's just given the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to think that her need for an apology would be recognised and the lad would pick up the phone at some point. He may have felt uneasy about doing so after getting off.

I can't imagine what Gearoid's poor brother must be going through. It's bad enough losing a sibling but to actually witness it happening in those circumstances doesn't bear thinking about. I hope he's as strong as his mother and can find some sort of peace.

RIP

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I can't believe the Australian got off. Murder.
    The charge was manslaughter.
    Regardless of what transpired before the last encounter the Australian had walked away and Gearoid confronted him again.
    'The court found that the punch was savage and sudden, but that Mr Simmons had been provoked and could have ''reasonably feared'' that if he didn't strike, Mr Walsh was going to hit him instead'.
    Because that doubt is there, supported by witnesses and even cctv, the court was (in all probability) quite correct to find him not guilty.
    The tragedy was not that he was found not guilty, but that such a stupid encounter ended in this way with such consequences.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Very well said DeLorean!

RIP Eirebhoy
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't agree at all, he didn't raise a finger. He was left handed and carrying his chips in his left hand when he approached the murderer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    In fairness Colbert, this isn't the courtroom and certainly not the place for combing through evidence or recriminations.

This thread is a tribute to eirebhoy and should be treated with the reverence and dignity that it deserves.

RIP

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I don't agree at all, he didn't raise a finger. He was left handed and carrying his chips in his left hand when he approached the murderer.
    An absolutely outrageous post.

I'm sure the relative strengths of Gearóid's hands were what went through yer man's mind when he was approached.

We have all been in these situations over the years. Well I know I have, where we went one step too far after a couple of beers and it just didn't end this particular way. Luckily.
    I remember a particular incident in Dublin with a mate of mine just after I was back from Oz incidentally which could have been a lot worse only for I managed to get in the way of a boot and stop a head getting kicked on the ground. There's not telling exactly how things would have been if I wasn't in the right position at the right time.

As Frenchy said leave it out. This is not the forum for the discussion of the court case and decision. May I direct you to Current Affairs where this can be discussed in depth...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

You either work in the law sector or have just watched too many episodes of Law & Order or C.S.I to make such a wild statement

Eitherway this is the wrong thread for those type of statements

RIP Gearoid and may your family have a brighter future ahead
    Last edited by back of the net; 15/03/2012 at 4:32 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Is it horrible of me to wonder what started the argument? Was it Football?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Is it horrible of me to wonder what started the argument? Was it Football?
    The interview with his mum is worth a look. nigel-harps1954 posted a link about ten posts back. She said he was taking ages fumbling for change at the till, and the other fellow started complaining about it.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It would have been the other guy who started it effectively then, you would not normally complain someone
    was taking too long to pay, not unless you are a highly aggressive type IMO.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    It would have been the other guy who started it effectively then, you would not normally complain someone
    was taking too long to pay, not unless you are a highly aggressive type IMO.
    I wouldn't correlate complaining about someones behaviour with starting a fight. 2 totally different things in my experience.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I wouldn't correlate complaining about someones behaviour with starting a fight. 2 totally different things in my experience.
    Maybe not but if I was behind someone in a queue and someone was taking a while to sort their change I certainly would not have complained about it,
    that is very aggressive behaviour IMO. I have never had anyone complain about how long I was taking in such circumstance, and I don't recall
    anyone complaining about anyone else, it really is extremely rude and provocative.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    I guess the bottom line is no Aussie Jury is going to convict an Aussie of beating up an Irish man leading to his death under "murky" circumstances.
    It's just not going to happen. It's not an interesting culture IMO, but they do stick together. They were even true blue when that idiot Steve Irwin who harassed animals his whole life died after harrasing animals. (Sorry, fish.)
    The thing i don't understand is, was it a full on brawl or just one of those one punch freakish things.
    I guess it doesn't matter.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I guess the bottom line is no Aussie Jury is going to convict an Aussie of beating up an Irish man leading to his death under "murky" circumstances.
    It's just not going to happen. It's not an interesting culture IMO, but they do stick together. They were even true blue when that idiot Steve Irwin who harassed animals his whole life died after harrasing animals. (Sorry, fish.)
    The thing i don't understand is, was it a full on brawl or just one of those one punch freakish things.
    One shot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    You can see the punch -- they show it as part of the interview with his mother in the link provided by nigel-harps which I've quoted below.

Eirebhoy appears to be walking past the chip shop when the guy cracks him with a pretty vicious punch. It's a very brief video with a bad angle, but it doesn't make it appear like the guy did it in self defence.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Anyone see the interview on The Saturday Night show on RTÉ with his mother? Almost put a tear to the eye, never really knew him, wasn't the most regular poster at the time, but seemed to be a great chap all round by what people say. RIP.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1139824 Show there, interview starts at 52:30 on the video. No idea how to link it that way properly, any mods able feel free to edit it to work that way.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Its ironic, i often found keyboad warriors to be little nerds in real life subsituting the complete lack of power in real life with cyber life. Funny thing is Eb was quite on here and always the one to hold back, and always the one to intervene and aid in ceasing rows between members. It just seems so out of character from what we saw of him on here to be starting a fight or going back looking to remonstrate with someone. Drink can be a terrible thing.

Anyway I haven't seen the video and don't really want to comment on it but reading some valued members comments on here it looks like the guy(Aussie) knew what he was doing, but now that the trial is over hopefully his mother and family can move on. God be with them and his brother.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm glad i commented before i saw that video. That woman is phenomenal, all those stupid mothers out there thinking and fooling themselves that their children are angels when they are pure thugs and she is very graceful throughout that interview, no bitterness coming across or anything and yet that fella never even apologised directly to her.

On a sidenote I've had so much experience dealing with drunken aussies and trying to avoid getting into any altercations, even brushing up to them on the way to the jacks and they want to fight. Anybody who has lived out there will tell you how aggressive they are especially to irish, and the ones that live over in london are even worse. The Australian law is summed up in how they are as a people - you're people dictate your laws. The stupid aussie reaction to the setanta o'hailpin video springs to mind.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Without wanting to get into an argument due to the nature of this thread, but in some of the tourist hotspots, we have a bad name (Bondi being one) because of the number of fights which are alcohol related. I think nationalites overseas often play up, hence the image Paul mentioned above. Personally, I have found the Aussies to be like us, except sports wise as they are the worst losers in the world. On a sidenote, the emotion expressed over here after the death of Jimmy Stynes is incredible, and rightly so. He was an amazing man and universally liked and respected. His charisma and personality has generated goodwill and respect of the Irish over here.
    Last edited by gastric; 22/03/2012 at 7:37 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12