Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wishful thinking of a Second Division

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    He is and i agree with him to a certain degree but we are just talking to a wall, the FAI wont listen and if the clubs want something like this they could contact the FAI them selves or organise something themselves.
    I accept that. It's a fair point that if the clubs want something, they should look to drive it on, alas the interest is not there.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I had to go away with wounds after the second division was shot down!

With the frustration of Dynamos not been involved, is there any solution for getting new clubs involved in the league in a regional set-up, run over a summer season?

One suggestion I'd like to put forward would be three regionalised leagues of 8 teams located: north-west, east and south-west. Phase one: all teams playing home and away in each section over 14 games. Phase two: top 2 in each section going forward to a national division of 6, playing home and away over 10 games, with the winner going forward to a promotion/relegation play-off. The 6 teams left behind in each section could play each other home and away over an additional 10 games in effectively shield divisions.
    If rumour is to be believed that there will be a single tier 18 division next year, there's huge scope for three way split regional league or whatever is appropriate. With 14 counties now without a club, it's a disgraceful situation for the league to be in. Still though, maybe there'll be strength in a single division but surely over the next few years, work will have to done to get some form of regional league linked to the top in place.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If rumour is to be believed that there will be a single tier 18 division next year
    Be careful with these rumours for as long as I've been a Pats fans there has been rumours of one division.

[qquote]there's huge scope for three way split regional league or whatever is appropriate. With 14 counties now without a club, it's a disgraceful situation for the league to be in. Still though, maybe there'll be strength in a single division but surely over the next few years, work will have to done to get some form of regional league linked to the top in place.[/QUOTE]
    No club that has facilities and/or finanial backing to look after themselves will be refused entry. Tralee and Cobh (and others) need to themselves sorted. FAI/League can't just magic up clubs who can play in the league
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If rumour is to be believed that there will be a single tier 18 division next year, there's huge scope for three way split regional league or whatever is appropriate.
    Thats what the munster and leinster senior leagues are there for!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrysock View Post
    Ulster not count?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrysock View Post

Those leagues are on a different season and not linked to the LoI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Be careful with these rumours for as long as I've been a Pats fans there has been rumours of one division.

There seems to be more of a possibility of a single division now but your point and experience is noted!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No club that has facilities and/or finanial backing to look after themselves will be refused entry. Tralee and Cobh (and others) need to themselves sorted. FAI/League can't just magic up clubs who can play in the league
    It’s a bit of a mountain to climb in terms of facilities/finances. Naturally clubs won’t magically appear but the environment can be set-up for clubs to compete at a certain level. The creation a regional league will take years. It shouldn’t deter the FAI from working to try and achieve that. It’s the only way I can see more clubs getting involved.

When clubs at a low level come and go, it doesn’t impact on the integrity of the league. Look at the A Championship when Castlebar and Tullamore pulled out. There wasn’t much coverage of it. If it happened to a LoI club it’d have more of a negative impact e,g. Monaghan Utd. There need to be an intermediary level. A level which also can help have clubs ready for LoI football.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did the FAI not just magic up a club 3 months ago? I'd never heard of no SD Galway before then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There need to be an intermediary level. A level which also can help have clubs ready for LoI football.
    There is absolutely no appetite from clubs for this. The top junior and intermediate sides in the country are pretty much happy to stay that way. Why would 10 teams leave the Leinster Senior League to join the FAI League 2 - Leinster Division? Thet don't want to became national clubs (and all that that entails)

Again, I'm not arguing with your pyramids idea, but it simply won't happen as people invilved in junior/intermediate clubs don't want anything to do with the league
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I'm not looking to argue against realism. Mainly just pointing out the environment has to be created for clubs to get involved.

It's a fair point/question, why would 10 teams leave the Leinster League? It'd be the job of the FAI or whoever to look to get some involved.

If word is to be believed in other threads, we're heading in the direction of a single tier top division of 16. If it's the only way for the league to survive, I've no problem with it. While they're resolving that, a solution should be looked into getting more clubs involved in a regional set-up linked to the top. Clearly wishful thinking and hoping against hope at present.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    It does look like there will be a 16 or 18 team league in a year of two but the likes of SD and Mervue to go back to Junior football in order for GUST to come in and if a 16 team league is the way to go then the likes of Finn Harps (too big of a club to drop to the Ulster Senior league in my opinion) and Wexford Youths drop to provincial leagues which would make regional leagues stronger, i would agree a 16 team premier division with relegation/promotion to Provincal leagues would be a good idea as there isnt enough support for 20 teams in two national leagues.
    A Leinster senior league with Kildare County, Kilkenny, Wexford Youths, Mullingar town, Carlow FC and Tullamore town, a Ulster Senior League with Finn Harps and Monaghan United and a Munster senior league with Cobh Ramblers, Tralee Dynamo's, Killearney Celtic, Pike Rovers, Clonmel Town plus all existing teams in each league would have three very strong Provencial leagues capable of a playoff system to promote one.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    If there was a second division it would have to be North/South if you ask me. Connacht/Ulster and Munster/Leinster is the way to do it. These leagues have to feed into the LSL, USL, MSL (and a new CSL if possible). But none of this is going to happen sadly.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If there was a second division it would have to be North/South if you ask me. Connacht/Ulster and Munster/Leinster is the way to do it. These leagues have to feed into the LSL, USL, MSL (and a new CSL if possible). But none of this is going to happen sadly.
    Sadly that is true. Nothing will happen.

On the topic anyways, the senior league are winter season and the LoI summer. Something would have to change there, would senior leagues change season? If they were on the same season, it would be fantastic to see senior leagues feed into the League of Ireland. The AIL has a play-off between the winners from 4 provinces. If moves were ever put in place, I'd be in favour or a Connaught/Ulster League, North Leinster League, South Leinster League and a Munster League. It should be an even enough split. Sadly as said, none of this will happen.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123