Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four pro teams in a different league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Lightbulb Four pro teams in a different league.

I think its time we gave up on the League of Ireland,there are two Parish teams and a University team in this League,so the standard clearly isn't very high.I say we should copy the rugby lads,Four provinces in the premier league or the Scottish league!
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Ahh no i'd say
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    I'm struggling to get my head around this idea. Could you phrase it as a DVD?

4. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    I say we should copy the rugby lads,Four provinces in the premier league or the Scottish league!
    I hope that application process goes better for you than the last one.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Would you be saying this if GUFC/GUST were involved?

Yeah didnt think so...
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Mother of christ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Limerick, Cork, Dublin and Galway should all be capable of having good teams and support with the right structures in place. With the majority of Munster rugby games in Limerick, Cork has no rival for regular sports in their city. Dublin clubs need to get better support. Rovers have moved in a good direction with their new ground but what about their Dublin rivals? The city surely should have two strong clubs.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    I think its time we gave up on the League of Ireland,there are two Parish teams and a University team in this League,so the standard clearly isn't very high.I say we should copy the rugby lads,Four provinces in the premier league or the Scottish league!
    Your timming is impeccable. Unlike your plan
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Limerick, Cork, Dublin and Galway should all be capable of having good teams and support with the right structures in place. With the majority of Munster rugby games in Limerick, Cork has no rival for regular sports in their city. Dublin clubs need to get better support. Rovers have moved in a good direction with their new ground but what about their Dublin rivals? The city surely should have two strong clubs.
    there are more than two sports you know?

Football and Hurling both have huge following in Cork, many Munster fans travel to Limerick every week, theres also the cross channel competition, and basketball has a decent following in Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Ireland could try and operate a football sports franchise just like is done in rugby, and play in a foreign league (and it would have to be the EPL. Who'd wtach SPL football?).

LoI would go on pretty much unaffacted. Those who love it, love it. Those who don't, don't.

Rugby's a good example - there are two pro rugby franchises in Munster and Leinster (these aren't provincial teams any more, and haven't been for years), but the grassroots game goes on pretty much unaffacted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Christ no. That's one of the worst ideas I have ever heard for any subject in any area.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    there are more than two sports you know?

Football and Hurling both have huge following in Cork, many Munster fans travel to Limerick every week, theres also the cross channel competition, and basketball has a decent following in Cork
    yeah, I'm aware of that. I would classify either sport as regular fixtures in the city. The last time I was in Cork, it had the feel of a city that should have a decent sized stadium for regular support. Cork City would be the only sport to fit that bill unless the GAA go professional!!
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Lads I know this is a forum to discuss football related matters but we don't have to discuss the really hair brained proposals
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Doesn't say much about your own former club when there are two "Parish teams and a University team" more viable.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    With friends like these, who needs......etc
    Founder, President and Sole Member of the Tipperary Galway United Supporters Club

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    Rugby's a good example - there are two pro rugby franchises in Munster and Leinster (these aren't provincial teams any more, and haven't been for years), but the grassroots game goes on pretty much unaffacted.
    There are four pro rugby franchises as you call them Munster, Leinster, Ulster, Connacht, not two. All have fully professional players playing in fully professional leagues. It has had a huge affect on the grassroots too. In a positive way it has got way more kids wanting to play rugby and be professional at it and in a negative way it has destroyed in my opinion the Ulster Bank League. The standard of it is poor compared to even 5 or 6 years ago with most top players taken away to the 4 provincial teams as soon as they show any kind of promise with more academies, A teams, development teams etc.. now being formed within the provinces. The attendances have steadily dropped barr a few games a year.

On what the OP is saying, I presume its a joke.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 16/02/2012 at 5:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Even though the current model for the League of Ireland isn't exactly getting the crowds through the gates, I don't think a franchise model is the way to go. Firstly, from a financial point of view who is going to pay for the development of the four provinces. It would be a risky investment and the FAI would more than likely stay away.

Are Irish fans actually going to take to these new franchises. An argument could be made that if the rugby teams could do it, why can't the football teams do it. But the truth is Irish football fans are floating fans at best and are too caught up with the Premiership. These franchises would have to be at a good level for these fans to have any interest.

As a League of Ireland fan I am happy supporting my local team - Dundalk. If there was a Leinster franchise, more than likely it would be located somewhere in Dublin. It would be hard for me to have such an attachment for such a club. Also what would happen to all the clubs in he country, would they just be disbanded?

I think something needs to happen within the league to generate more interest. For me alot of the blame lies with the FAI and the media. Neither have enough interest in the league and the FAI don't invest in the league, as much as they should as they are largely concerned with the national team. Also the mindset of the majority Irish football fan (i.e. the barstooler) needs to be changed, but someone finds out how, please tell me. The barstooler complains about poor facilities, lack of media coverage and the quality of football, which are things that all need to be addressed. However, their minds are all warped with their skysports, big stadiums (that many never see), big names and constant media updates that it would be a blow to their system actually attending a match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'd say the connacht team would be better off in Sligo,for the same reason munster rugby is based in Limerick
    Last edited by GUFCghost; 16/02/2012 at 5:18 PM.
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guinney View Post
    I think something needs to happen within the league to generate more interest. For me alot of the blame lies with the FAI and the media. Neither have enough interest in the league and the FAI don't invest in the league, as much as they should as they are largely concerned with the national team. Also the mindset of the majority Irish football fan (i.e. the barstooler) needs to be changed, but someone finds out how, please tell me. The barstooler complains about poor facilities, lack of media coverage and the quality of football, which are things that all need to be addressed. However, their minds are all warped with their skysports, big stadiums (that many never see), big names and constant media updates that it would be a blow to their system actually attending a match.
    What amazes me is that the FAI haven't realized that to best serve the national team they need to protect our young players coming through and the local teams (LOI teams, Senior league teams, Junior teams) a hell of a lot more and not let english teams take our best talent and toss them aside if they feel they are of no use to them anymore, leading to a lot of young players losing interest in the sport. They seem to be relying a lot on the English teams taking our players and from what I can see hope that if even a few can come through the top teams then its a success.

I was only watching an interview with Ian Holloway (i think from a few years ago) the other day were he sent a warning to the FA to put a stop to top teams i.e Man U and Chelsea taking the best players from smaller English teams and stacking them up in the academies and reserves letting them rot on benches etc… He made the point that why can't a team like Blackpool develop a player as good as a team like Man U, they have coaches, footballs and supplies, what more could you want. Having a fancy training ground with roofs over it etc… isn't going to make a better player. He said the spanish don't allow this to happen and that he was over there for a look and they are developing players all over the country.

At the moment more and more LOI players seem to be coming through the right way and making a name for themselves here before moving over. The FAI need to be pushing this more I think. Most barstoolers hadn't even heard of James McClean a few months ago but now they are up in arms over how he should be in the national team. Not long ago they could have gone to the likes of the Brandywell, Jackman, Turners Cross etc… to see this same player. The FAI need to push that the future of Irish football, the future premier league stars, the future International stars are being developed right here in Ireland. If the top talent is kept here for as long as possible I have no doubt the standard in the league will keep rising and the teams may even start getting the right money for their talent that they deserve. If a club can get decent money for even one or two of its players that can set them up for a whole season or go towards ground development. It would be a snow ball affect. The FAI though seem to be happy enough to keep allowing players head over to the UK and be used and tossed aside when not needed.

Thats my little rant for the evening over

26. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Jof, this was proposed by one former Cork City boss, a centralised contract system (not unlike the MLS) where players would be loaned to clubs and so that the FAI would protect and monitor the development of players under it's jurisdiction. It makes perfect sense for sport, society and business, so it was shot down by a combo of LOI, Junior and Schoolboy clubs as they all want their own little fiefdoms.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast