Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: FAI seek Derry exemption

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Fair play to bohs, hope they enjoy it as it will be the last European trip they'll be on in a while!
    MD

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtndvn View Post
    Fair play to bohs, hope they enjoy it as it will be the last European trip they'll be on in a while!
    we thought that last year. Thanks for the charity Derry. Almost too generous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    My take on it

As people have stated, Derry were entitled to apply, Bohs were entitled to write the letter. Such is football.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Good piece Kev - a balanced approach to a thorny issue is refreshing. That Bohs are the team to benefit, while pleasing to me, is irrelevant.

this piece does remind me of something im a little bit concerned about... what sort of welcome (or farewell!) will Bohs supporters get from these folk in a few weeks?

To anyone who had done any reasonable research(or indeed had read any decent article about the future for Rnagers), today’s news comes as no shock. However social media filled up with outraged Derry people, most of whom would barely know where the Brandywell is. No-one does moral outrage quite like a Derry person.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    this piece does remind me of something im a little bit concerned about... what sort of welcome (or farewell!) will Bohs supporters get from these folk in a few weeks?
    Well, apart from putting their heads on spikes....

Naw, I'd say they will be grand.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I'm sure you'll get the standard red carpet treatment from P O'Neill Security Co.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    we thought that last year. Thanks for the charity Derry. Almost too generous.
    will it not be more costly for bohs to compete(stop laughing at the back) in europe? surely the costs will out weigh the UEFA money received.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by askmehoop View Post
    will it not be more costly for bohs to compete(stop laughing at the back) in europe? surely the costs will out weigh the UEFA money received.
    90k for qualifying, regionalised draw. Extra home gate, more shots at better sponsorship deals. No, I doubt the costs will outweigh all that.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I imagine the real costs will set in when the players threaten not to fulfill a fixture unless they get bonuses.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by de bowez View Post
    90k for qualifying, regionalised draw. Extra home gate, more shots at better sponsorship deals. No, I doubt the costs will outweigh all that.
    Bohs league gates are shocking as is, you reckon you'll get a larger gate for euro games? if that is the case you'll need more security. euro bonus for players may have to be agreed or you might have a Pats situation on your hands, travel costs. generally clubs dont make a huge profit after all expenses are taken out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's gone from "surely a loss" to "generally clubs don't make a huge profit"?

An extra gate is an extra gate. I would fully expect the Irish teams in Europe this season to be on top of any bonus issues well in advance after last seasons farce.

Very shortsighted to just look at the UEFA money v costs, HulaHoop says it best here - http://foot.ie/threads/162886-Televi...=1#post1576742

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    It's gone from "surely a loss" to "generally clubs don't make a huge profit"?

An extra gate is an extra gate. I would fully expect the Irish teams in Europe this season to be on top of any bonus issues well in advance after last seasons farce.

Very shortsighted to just look at the UEFA money v costs, HulaHoop says it best here - http://foot.ie/threads/162886-Televi...=1#post1576742

I meant clubs with ambitions to advance, Bohs cant be loooking to getting over the first hurdle

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I meant clubs with ambitions to advance, Bohs cant be loooking to getting over the first hurdle
    Same as we weren't looking to get past the first hurdle of the Setanta Cup, cant buy that experience for a young squad either. I'm sure your initial comment was tongue in cheek, absurd argument otherwise.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Same as we weren't looking to get past the first hurdle of the Setanta Cup, cant buy that experience for a young squad either. I'm sure your initial comment was tongue in cheek, absurd argument otherwise.

Thats true, the experience is worth the participation alone, but then you run the risk of losing these young players to a rival, which is the case this year for Bohs and having to start again. Was a genuine question btw, not a dig at bohs.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    We are going to lose players either way, may aswell be because they had a fantastic run in Europe and a team is willing to pay for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    We are going to lose players either way, may aswell be because they had a fantastic run in Europe and a team is willing to pay for them.
    genuinely wish irish clubs well in europe but cant see you doing anything. as for teams 'paying' for your players are bohs handing out more then 1year contracts?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    genuinely wish irish clubs well in europe but cant see you doing anything. as for teams 'paying' for your players are bohs handing out more then 1year contracts?
    No, the majority are amateur, a few are part time on miniscule what I would assume are 1 year deals. Due to the average age of our squad any fees would be more like the 100k or so we got for the out of contract Deegan a few years ago.

As for how the team will do overall, displays against Portadown were a pleasant surprise, there's some good experience in there along with a hell of a lot of raw talent, difficult not to be getting excited at the prospect of how far they could go at this stage.
    Last edited by de bowez; 23/02/2012 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    of course we have ambitions to advance. Why bother otherwise? If a team like last years Shamrock Rovers can get to the groups then we can hope to get past a round. We'll probably win the feckin thing.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Yeah I would be concerned that we would qualify for the Europa League and lose all six games on the bounce or lose 7-0 to the pride of Silesias coal industry!

Seriously though. the only time I`ve seen a Bohs Team fail to compete in Europe was under Stephen Kenny at home where we lost 3-1 ( 0-0 away) and the TNS debacle. Some of our most notable performances in the 22 years we have competed in the main EUFA competitions ( a League Of Ireland record) were with new /scratch teams of journeymen, a scattering of good pro`s and young players, beating Aberdeen and winning away v Kaiserslautern spring to mind, when Roddy had virtually a new team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    334 Posts
    If you end up not being seeded in the CL draw as seems likely, can't see you doing much either.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast