Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roddy appointed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Roddy appointed

RODDY COLLINS has been appointed as manager of Dublin City FC following the departure of John Gill who resigned in the wake of last Friday's FAI Cup elimination at the hands of first division Monaghan United.

The Vikings acted quickly to replace Gill and club Chief Executive Ronan Seery engaged in a series of in-depth weekend interviews before confirming Collins as the new supremo of Dublin City FC this morning.

Collins takes up the reins immediately and will be assisted by former Bohemians legend Terry Eviston and will meet the players at the club's training headquarters at ALSAA this evening.

Collins' last position was as manager of Carlisle United but was dismissed from the position in August 2003.

He was in charge as the club narrowly avoided relegation in 2003 but he did steer them to a place in the LDV Vans Trophy final against Bristol City at the Millennium Stadium.

Said Collins about his return to managerial status: "This is a massive challenge but I've been there before in situations like this and it's not one that I'll shirk from.

"In the three clubs I've been at I've been involved in around 160 relegation battles, so this is nothing new to me and to tell you the truth if the club had of been mid-table it wouldn't have has the same type of appeal. I like a challenge and I'm delighted to say 'The Rod is back.'

Added the 43 year-old who has pencilled in a trip to master tailor Louis Copeland for a new suit for Thursday: "I'll sort it out. The bones of a good team are in place but players do need to come in and I may well have a big signing before Thursday's game with St Pats.

"Our season starts on Thursday. It's a big game but we won't get carried away and we'll have a few players to add in the coming weeks. There's only five points difference and sixteen games to go, so it's not quite panic stations. Everyone starts with a clean bill of health and I know what's required to ensure the safety of this club."

Collins has been waiting 11 months for the right offer to come along but was surprised because this has come out of the blue.

"I know Ronan Seery and how much he has put into making this club a success. My way of working is to give 100% commitment to the job and that's what I'll be asking the players - from the tea-lady to the youngest member of the playing staff to get behind this club and give total commitment to achieving our goal for this season and that is to finish one above bottom position."

Collins recently suggested that Dublin City was a club that was potentially relegation material but he's confident he can turn things around for the Vikings. "With the FAI cup out of the way, we can focus 100% on gathering league points. That's all that matters now and there'll be no cop out from me. It's up to me to sort it out and I'm relishing the prospect of getting back into action straight away."

"The players will need to display their desire to perform and to improve. I'll be looking to see if they can step up a level. There should be a new impetus and it's up to them to start delivering for the club."

Said Vikings Chief Executive Ronan Seery on Collins' appointment: "I'm delighted to have acquired the services of Roddy Collins. There were several excellent candidates who came forward, but in the end Roddy's enthusiasm and total belief in his ability to come in and ignite our season was pivotal in the decision to give him the position. He has plenty of experience and profile he's fired up for the challenge and I'm looking forward to working with him."

Collins, who formerly managed Bangor, Bohemians and Carlisle United will be assisted by Eviston who had a distinguished career as a player with Home Farm and Bohemians.

"Terry is a personal friend of mine but he's also a top class coach and he's been in this situation before. He has loads of experience and he's the right man to help me achieve our target of eircom League survival," said Collins.

Dublin City FC - The Rod is Back

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Breifne
    Added the 43 year-old who has pencilled in a trip to master tailor Louis Copeland for a new suit for Thursday]
    as i've said before he only heads in to louis when there is a sale on !!!

can he do it ????
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    So, how do D.C fans feel about it ? Thought Gill was a pretty good manager myself even though you are bottom of the league, Seemed to know know what he was doing and where he wanted to bring the club etc......
    Was there more to his resignation than just bad results ?

Roddy in, well, what can i say about that ? best of luck with him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    "In the three clubs I've been at I've been involved in around 160 relegation battles, so this is nothing new to me [/URL]
    Says it all really.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69
    So, how do D.C fans feel about it ? Thought Gill was a pretty good manager myself even though you are bottom of the league, Seemed to know know what he was doing and where he wanted to bring the club etc......
    Was there more to his resignation than just bad results ?
    John went of his own free will. it was a shock to everyone. but as in all things, the king is dead, long live the king!!! ( thank god it wasn't king)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap
    Says it all really.....
    Make it 161.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by onceahoop
    Make it 161.

More like 176 by the end of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Now that Roddy is in place i wonder will Courtney try and come on board as well ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I don't like Roddy much, but he has been there before and done the business in the EL.
    I liked Gill to be honest, DCFC haven't been lucky and I don't think the current gap to second last is a fair reflection.
    Roddy could well do it for you.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    I don't like Roddy much, but he has been there before and done the business in the EL.
    I liked Gill to be honest, DCFC haven't been lucky and I don't think the current gap to second last is a fair reflection.
    Roddy could well do it for you.
    I think it's time for personalities to get out of the picture, we needed a man in who wouldn't take any rubbish from anyone. We have that, we have the players, we now have the manager, (i'm a little disappointed for Noel White, but unfortunately thats football), and its about time to try and turn this thing around. We haven't had much luck all season, and hopefully we will be looking down at St. Pats / Derry / Longford (delete where appropriate) at the end of the season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    we have the players, .
    that i wouldn't agree with, you have gary o'neill. who is an amazing talent, but after that you are mainly a division 1 team, sorry if that sounds nasty, but i've seen yee 4 times this year and without o'neill your nothing.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by max power
    that i wouldn't agree with, you have gary o'neill. who is an amazing talent, but after that you are mainly a division 1 team, sorry if that sounds nasty, but i've seen yee 4 times this year and without o'neill your nothing.
    And you are where in the league, with your fantastic array of players?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    6 points ahead of yee and we haven't played well in two games in a row all season, but we have a deeper squad and more experience. i don't wish to run down dc in any way, i'm just saying it as i say it and i'm not the only one.

we were forced into changing managers mid season a few years ago and bearly stayed up, if history has taught us anything its that changing a manager mid season to aviod relegation normally doesn't work, personally i'm gonna be truthful and hope you respect my view. I want to see yee go down and not us anf hope rody falls flat on his face because i hate the man with a passion.

but can we have gary o'neill if you do go down

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    6 points ahead of yee personally i'm gonna be truthful and hope you respect my view. I want to see yee go down and not us anf hope rody falls flat on his face because i hate the man with a passion.

but can we have gary o'neill if you do go down
    thought it was 5 points, but i respect your honesty. Everyone would rather see us go down than them, fair point. Why do you hate Roddy as a matter of interest?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    we were forced into changing managers mid season a few years ago and bearly stayed up, if history has taught us anything its that changing a manager mid season to aviod relegation normally doesn't work,
    But we didn't go down! And niether did Derry last season.

IMO it's not the change of Manager that could cause us problems, it's the spending that Roddy and Rocky that will get up to. Short termism, but could keep them up....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    his attitude towards the el in the press, the way he goes on about buying the suits in louis coplands ( so do i so what its a suit) and more than anything the fact that he helped run carsile into the ground. i followed them and was disgusted by the way he acted while over there and then when sacked to come back to ireland and act as if he had manager man united or liverpool to the premiership title.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy

IMO it's not the change of Manager that could cause us problems, it's the spending that Roddy and Rocky that will get up to. Short termism, but could keep them up....
    he will only spend what he is given and if dc want a long term future thats not the way to go, but its the usual way of a relegation club. maybe they'll sign darragh and mcgovern ?????? oh and lavine to keep you happy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    We did though after our manager change! Not because of it though.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo69
    Now that Roddy is in place i wonder will Courtney try and come on board as well ?
    Courtenay and Roddy had a rather large spat at Carlisle, so I doubt it......

Sheridan
    Huzzah! The right man for the job. Anyone know what kind of contract he's signed?

Collins takes up the reins immediately and will be assisted by former Bohemians legend Terry Eviston and will meet the players at the club's training headquarters at ALSAA this evening.
    I would pay good money to be at that meeting.

"I know Ronan Seery and how much he has put into making this club a success. My way of working is to give 100% commitment to the job and that's what I'll be asking the players - from the tea-lady to the youngest member of the playing staff
    Do we have a tea lady??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast