Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro 2012 Build Up Thread.......

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

Euro 2012 Build Up Thread.......

Fixtures:

29th February:
    Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic
    Aviva Stadium 19:45

May 20/21
    Squad Meet Up
    Malahide.

May 26th
    Republic of Ireland V Bosnia-Herzegovina(unconfirmed)
    Aviva Stadium

End of May
    Florence Training Camp.

Jun 4th
    Republic of Ireland V TBC
    Venue: Hungary

Next Stop Gydnia.....

TAKING SHAPE: Summer schedule mapped out THE IRISH squad’s schedule ahead of Euro 2012 appears to be taking shape, with a preliminary timetable for the team’s preparations beginning to emerge. Although still subject to confirmation, it appears the bulk of Giovanni Trapattoni’s players will meet up at their traditional base in Malahide around May 20th or 21st.
    On the 26th, Bosnia Herzegovina are likely to provide the opposition for Ireland in their final game prior to their departure for the championship.
    Trapattoni and co are then expected to head for a training camp outside Florence in Italy where they will stay for about a week.
    On June 3rd they will move on, probably to Hungary, for a game on the 4th and the day after that they will head for their tournament base at Gdynia in Poland, their final stop-off before their opening game of the championship against Croatia on June 10th.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    is it unusual that there is no international dates in march?Seeing the schedule shows how hard it will be for anyone to break into the squad or into the team unless they do put in serious performances against the czechs

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    is it unusual that there is no international dates in march?Seeing the schedule shows how hard it will be for anyone to break into the squad or into the team unless they do put in serious performances against the czechs
    There could be an international date on the 27th of March but I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Thanks for schedule, except, oh great, another two home friendlies.

Away to Slovenia might have made more sense? Instead of the Czechs who are slightly pointless opposition at this stage.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There's no money in playing away qualifiers in eastern Europe. There's a reason we rarely play a friendly outside of Ireland, and even then London is the usual location.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Agreed. Dublin friendlies are seen as a very attractive prospect for opposition teams, beacuse despite the recent slump in attendances, we still get attendances way above the European average. In the Euro 2012 qualification campaign we had the 5th highest average attendance in Europe. Only England, France, Germany and Scotland had higher.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Will be interesting to see which borderline squad members are in form, and if we can stay healthy through these next 5 months.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    Instead of the Czechs who are slightly pointless opposition at this stage.
    From what I've seen, the Czechs are close enough to our level, though probably do better against weaker teams while we do better against stronger teams. Nothing wrong with playing them.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Its unusual that Trap decided to locate in Sopot, near Gydnia, considering that would be known as Polands answer to Bennidorm. Considering all that Trap has had to say about the drinking culture with the Irish players, I would have thought that location would not have been the wisest choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Toasht View Post
    Its unusual that Trap decided to locate in Sopot, near Gydnia, considering that would be known as Polands answer to Bennidorm. Considering all that Trap has had to say about the drinking culture with the Irish players, I would have thought that location would not have been the wisest choice.
    Well they aren't Children Toasty. Maybe he trusts that in a spot like this, first Tourney in 10 years, etc... that they can have one long session when they first meet up then get serious. Hard to see them going too crazy with Italy and ESP looming.
    The only chance I see for social disaster is if they lose the first 2 games. He tells them to stay in...they go out.... That could turn into a **** show.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Well they aren't Children Toasty. Maybe he trusts that in a spot like this, first Tourney in 10 years, etc... that they can have one long session when they first meet up then get serious. Hard to see them going too crazy with Italy and ESP looming.
    The only chance I see for social disaster is if they lose the first 2 games. He tells them to stay in...they go out.... That could turn into a **** show.
    I just find it unusual considering that the drink culture among Irish players has been a real issue that has irked Trap during his reign as manager. He even objected to the three day bender the players went on after the second leg against Estonia (I personally would have thought that was more an issue for their club managers to take issue with). Sure even just this week he has hung Marc Wilson out to dry as an example of unruliness with reference to his going out. I trust the squad he chooses won't do an England rugby team on it, but its just a strange decision nonetheless.

Also with regard to your suggestion "they can have one long session when they first meet up", I tend to disagree. The moment the players report for international duty, I think they should go cold turkey until the time we get eliminated from the tournament. Theres plenty of other outlets for team bonding like golf tournaments and poker nights that don't involve alcohol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I just find it unusual considering that the drink culture among Irish players has been a real issue that has irked Trap during his reign as manager. He even objected to the three day bender the players went on after the second leg against Estonia (I personally would have thought that was more an issue for their club managers to take issue with). Sure even just this week he has hung Marc Wilson out to dry as an example of unruliness with reference to his going out. I trust the squad he chooses won't do an England rugby team on it, but its just a strange decision nonetheless.
    If drink's an issue, I'd say they'd find it whether on the seaside or up a mountain. Quality facilities, however, were much harder to find at the short notice Ireland had.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Also with regard to your suggestion "they can have one long session when they first meet up", I tend to disagree. The moment the players report for international duty, I think they should go cold turkey until the time we get eliminated from the tournament. Theres plenty of other outlets for team bonding like golf tournaments and poker nights that don't involve alcohol.
    or win it...
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 18/01/2012 at 9:49 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Next you'll be telling us there's no pubs or hard drink available across the rest of Poland...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There's no money in playing away qualifiers in eastern Europe. There's a reason we rarely play a friendly outside of Ireland, and even then London is the usual location.
    Well yeah. And frankly it's sh*t that they only play one friendly away from home annually and 3 usually soporific homes ones.
    No problem with Bosnia this time or any decent E.European side, including...

Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    From what I've seen, the Czechs are close enough to our level, though probably do better against weaker teams while we do better against stronger teams. Nothing wrong with playing them.
    Well yes. But why not away, though Slovenia would have been better as we've never played, I believe?
    And their style more similar to the Croats and possibly even Italy.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...310725126.html

The Republic of Ireland have announced their friendly schedule ahead of Euro 2012 with Giovanni Trapattoni’s side set to play Bosnia and Herzogovina and Hungary in warm-up’s before flying out to Poland.

Ireland will play Bosnia and Herzogovina at the Aviva Stadium on 26 May before departing for a week of training at Florence. That period could feature a match against a local team.

The team will then travel to face Hungary for a match on 4 June.

Ireland’s first fixture in Euro 2012 is against Croatia in Poznan on 10 June.

The team is already scheduled to play the Czech Republic on 29 February and FAI Chief Executive John Delaney confirmed that tickets would be available at low prices for that fixture.

Adult stand tickets will be available from €20, while general admission tickets for children are €10.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 25/01/2012 at 9:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    I find it more strange that we are travelling to the country of one of our opponents for a week long training camp. Surely the media glare that will generate is unnecessary ?

Edit....

And a possible match against a local team? - thats just daft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I find it more strange that we are travelling to the country of one of our opponents for a week long training camp. Surely the media glare that will generate is unnecessary ?

Edit....

The media glare, if any, would be on Trapattoni rather than the team. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts

Edit....

The media glare will be the same no matter where the training camp is held.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Edit....

Remember Mick did that in 2002 as well, think it was the game McAteer picked up his injury in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast