Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic - Wednesday, 29th February 2012 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    At least Green, Keogh and McShane aren't there
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Isn't McGeady injured?
    Looks like Lawrence has been phased out already
    Yet another squad with 7 backs and 5 forwards, could be ominous.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    At least Green, Keogh and McShane aren't there
    Imagine if we get 3 injuries in midfield, after Lawrence replaces someone, we'd have a straight choice between Green or Keogh (going on Traps squad policies....)

Players from qualifying who have missed out: (only the top 4 made appearances)
    Kevin Kilbane
    Paul Green
    Andrew Keogh
    Liam Lawrence

Paul McShane
    Joseph Murphy
    Greg Cunningham
    Damien Delaney
    Ciaran Clark
    Marc Wilson
    Cillian Sheridan
    Darren Randolph
    Keith Treacy
    Last edited by Closed Account; 10/02/2012 at 10:28 AM.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    No James McClean,

No harm, I really don't think there is less than 23 players who deserve to be in the squad ahead of him. No point unsettling the group. He'll get his chance, just not for these Championships.

24 man squad, Coleman to possibly not be fit in time.
    I do hope that if Coleman does not make it that they stick with the 24 man squad and that James McClean is called up as a replacement.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Surprised at Lawrence missing out seeing as how he's sticking with the players who got us there, and especially as Coleman and McGeady are doubtful for the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I think the picking of Foley as a third right-back shows that Traps not convinced about Coleman's ability to cover there in the tournament. Foley can cover CM too, which would be a plus point. No problems with his selection, though. Good to see him ahead of McShane in the pecking order. No natural cover for Ward at LB; Clark can count himself a bit unlucky. The way it looks, it's between Foley, Fahey and McCarthy for the last two places in the 23-man squad, if there are no injuries in May - everyone else seems nailed on.

McClean was never going to leapfrog Hunt or Coleman for a wing spot in a 24-man squad, but perhaps Trap could have named a larger squad, or at least included him on a stand-by list as some acknowledgement of his form. Just gives more ammo for the critics.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    You should pick your inform players as well as your first Eleven - McClean should be in ahead of Hunt or Coleman on current form alone never mind ability. Duff and McGeady you cant argue with they are first choice. After them then its McClean every day of the week for me. Hopefully he's on the reserve list and will be called up over the next couple of days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Happy with the squad myself.

Credit to Trap for limiting the squad to 24 men, because that way he's being honest with those who are not in his plans.

Definitely looks like one of Foley/Gibson/McCarthy/Fahey who will miss the cut.

If it was up to me, I'd probably not bring McCarthy. Hard to know what Trap will do. I think he'll pick both Foley and Fahey because they offer decent versatility. A lot depends on Gibson's performances between now and the end of the season, because before he moved to Everton, I was convinced he would not be in the squad. So it will probably come down to a toss up between Gibson and McCarthy, unless there are injuries.

Touch wood there won't be any injuries between now and the end of the season... we've been so lucky up until now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    As well as McClean theres no Marc Wilson either? I thought he would be an obvious choice as back up LB and he can play RB and CM also, Obviously his AWOL last year has not been forgotten by Trap!
    Last edited by SolitudeRed; 10/02/2012 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy102 View Post
    Definitely looks like one of Foley/Gibson/McCarthy/Fahey who will miss the cut.

If it was up to me, I'd probably not bring McCarthy. Hard to know what Trap will do. I think he'll pick both Foley and Fahey because they offer decent versatility. A lot depends on Gibson's performances between now and the end of the season, because before he moved to Everton, I was convinced he would not be in the squad. So it will probably come down to a toss up between Gibson and McCarthy, unless there are injuries.
    I reckon Gibsons on the plane. Id imagine it's one of Fahey/McCarthy/Coleman/Foley to miss out. One of Foley or Coleman most likely to be disappointed for me.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I reckon Gibsons on the plane. Id imagine it's one of Fahey/McCarthy/Coleman/Foley to miss out. One of Foley or Coleman most likely to be disappointed for me.
    I can't see Trap going to EURO 2012 without 4 wingers.

Coleman being the 4th along with McGeady, Duff and Hunt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I agree but I think he looks upon McCarthy and Fahey as wingers.

Possibly means Foley should be favourite to be disappointed though.

Unfortunately though, there is the strong possibility the decision will be made for Trap. Someone is probably likely to miss out through injury.

A better question might be who is likely to be the 25th man if 2 miss out. I would suspect Best comes in if we lose any of the forwards, McClean possibly in midfield, and probably McShane in defence (lets hope that doesn't happen)
    Last edited by backstothewall; 10/02/2012 at 6:30 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    No James McClean,

No harm, I really don't think there is less than 23 players who deserve to be in the squad ahead of him. No point unsettling the group. He'll get his chance, just not for these Championships.

Ireland Squad:
    Republic of Ireland Squad
    Name Club Date of birth Caps Goals
    Shay Given Aston Villa FC 20/04/1976 120
    Keiren Westwood Sunderland AFC 23/10/1984 8
    David Forde Millwall FC 20/10/1979 2
    John O’Shea Sunderland AFC 30/04/1981 74 1
    Stephen Kelly Fulham FC 06/09/1983 29
    Stephen Ward Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 20/08/1985 9 2
    Richard Dunne Aston Villa FC 21/09/1979 71 8
    Sean St. Ledger Leicester City FC 28/12/1984 24 2
    Darren O’Dea Leeds Utd 04/02/1987 12
    Kevin Foley Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 01/11/1984 8
    Glenn Whelan Stoke City FC 13/01/1984 36 2
    James McCarthy Wigan Athletic FC 12/11/1990 3
    Seamus Coleman Everton FC 08/10/1988 4
    Keith Andrews West Bromwich Albion 13/09/1980 26 3
    Keith Fahey Birmingham City FC 15/01/1983 15 3
    Darron Gibson Everton FC 25/10/1987 17 1
    Damien Duff Fulham FC 02/03/1979 94 8
    Aiden McGeady Spartak Moscow FC 04/04/1986 46 2
    Stephen Hunt Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 01/08/1981 37 1
    Robbie Keane Aston Villa FC 08/07/1980 114 53
    Kevin Doyle Wolverhampton Wanderers FC 18/09/1983 46 10
    Shane Long West Bromwich Albion 22/01/1987 23 6
    Simon Cox West Bromwich Albion 28/04/1987 10 2
    Jon Walters Stoke City FC 20/09/1983 4 1

24 Man squad, Coleman/McGeady to possibly not be fit in time.

Edit, I don't think it'd of hurt too much to include McClean, for contingency sake.
    Ironically, I think the media's clamour for his/anyone's callup seems to have a negative effect on Giovannis thought process.
    We can debate all about how McClean, Pilkington, Clark and Hoolohan should be in the squad but suppose we all knew the chances of an uncapped player making the breakthrough before the Euros was unlikely. Whatever about the merits of McClean, Im really disappointed that Clark isnt in, he is playing well this year and is versatile which would prove very useful. Think he probably should be in ahead of O'Dea.

So one from that squad wont make the finals, who is it likely to be? Gonna be harsh. O'Dea and Cox are the two obvious candidates to my mind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    We can debate all about how McClean, Pilkington, Clark and Hoolohan should be in the squad but suppose we all knew the chances of an uncapped player making the breakthrough before the Euros was unlikely. Whatever about the merits of McClean, Im really disappointed that Clark isnt in, he is playing well this year and is versatile which would prove very useful. Think he probably should be in ahead of O'Dea.

So one from that squad wont make the finals, who is it likely to be? Gonna be harsh. O'Dea and Cox are the two obvious candidates to my mind.
    To my mind that's incredibly harsh after their respective performances against Russia and Armenia. Surely what they have done in green in qualifying has to count for more than their current role with their employers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post

I think Foley is the most likely. Kelly provides cover at right full, and O'Shea can play left full if anything happens to Ward.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I think O'Dea is a certainty to travel, as is Gibson. Foley, Fahey and McCarthy are the 3 under most pressure imho, but I think there's every chance at least one player will be injured.

Now we have a squad where Maclean, Hoolahan, Kenny, Reid (retired), Pilkington, Tierney, Clark and Wilson - all Premiership regulars and solid performers aren't going to make it. Shane Duffy too (not a regular obviously). Not long ago players at Rotherham (Alan Lee - was he at Rotherham when capped) were getting caps under Kerr and some here were furious that Lee Trundle wasn't getting capped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think O'Dea is a certainty to travel, as is Gibson. Foley, Fahey and McCarthy are the 3 under most pressure imho, but I think there's every chance at least one player will be injured.

Now we have a squad where Maclean, Hoolahan, Kenny, Reid (retired), Pilkington, Tierney, Clark and Wilson - all Premiership regulars and solid performers aren't going to make it. Shane Duffy too (not a regular obviously). Not long ago players at Rotherham (Alan Lee - was he at Rotherham when capped) were getting caps under Kerr and some here were furious that Lee Trundle wasn't getting capped.
    To be fair, our choices up front at the time were Robbie and Clinton, with either David Connolly or Gary Doherty coming off the bench. Trundle was playing well and scoring regularly, albeit at a lower level, and had made it clear he wanted to play for Ireland. Kerr watched him a few times, but he never got the call up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There are only 7 backs in this squad if you count Foley. If he's culled, someone would have to take his place.

In order of seniority, McCarthy would be the first to get the chop, but he's been playing well since we qualified and he should be ahead of Foley for a midfield spot. As long as Fahey is fit I think McCarthy will find it hard to take his place.
    Last edited by geysir; 11/02/2012 at 5:33 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Good to see everyone involved at least. If only we had more goalscorers.....(JMcC)
    Code:
    Given    Starts
    Forde    Starts
    Westwood Bench    Unused

Kelly    Starts
    O'Shea   Starts
    St LedgerStarts
    O'Dea    Starts
    Foley    Starts
    Dunne    Starts
    Ward     Starts

Gibson   Starts
    Whelan   Starts
    Duff     Starts
    McCarthy Starts
    Andrews  Bench    Goal
    Hunt     Bench    Unused
    Fahey    Postponed
    Coleman  Injured
    McGeady  Injured

Walters  Starts
    Doyle    Starts
    Keane    Starts
    Cox      Bench
    Long     Bench    Unused

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Irish Times reporting that Shane Duffy has been called into the squad to replace Dunne
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...311721954.html
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

23. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast