Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Czech Republic - Wednesday, 29th February 2012 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I didn't think McClean did a huge amount when he came on. The only way his substitute impacted things was the crowd got massively behind the team for about 10 minutes. The real impact changes were Cox and Walters. Questionable decision at the time, but they totally changed the way things happened up front. Really great finish from Cox but the defending by the Czechs was awful.

Poor enough performance by both sides, disappointed that Coleman or Duffy didn't get a run out but it's to be expected of Trap at this stage. I would fear for both players place on the plane to the Euros at this rate.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    The subsititutions helped us as we lost our shape. Whether this was by design or not is unclear, but we became more open which gave us the chance to give it a go. Disappointing that Trapattoni didn't use the match to try something new or look at his options on the bench but his way got us to where we are. Without Dunne on the pitch our defensive leader was playing at RB. The problem with that is illustrated by the goal the Czechs scored. Difficult to find fault with individual player performances, everybody did that expected of them. Andrews had a good game, Cox took his goal well, and McClean got a run sums up the night's entertainment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Very strange that McCarthy was in the original panel yet, when a change was made it was the late inclusion, Green, who came on. It baffles me to be honest. It suggests the Trap didn't like what he saw from McCarthy in training.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Walters leaves thread dejected.
    You'll not hold that against me. It was 2am, and I'd just driven over a hundred miles (and been stuck outside the point for an hour in the traffic from Olly ****ing Murs getting out)

I'll give Walters a nice 7. It would be nice to see up front on his own in a 4-2-3-1
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    After looking at the RTE highlights, it was remiss of me to pick on O'Shea for being the main rogue in the build up to their goal. And he was trying to communicate with a tardy St Ledger to cover the threat from Baros, a back 4 communication defect that Bear had pointed out.
    Out of the 3, O'Shea actually had less culpability and Ward was doing what he should have been doing, covering the left.
    I'd imagine Trap will doing his head in over how easy it was in that move, for most of the team to lose their shape and be dragged all over the place

Considering how our CM was so dysfunctional in the 2nd half, Trap had to make a change, it was a choice between McCarthy or Green. I suppose he went for the experienced head, a player who he can trust better to plug the gaps, not necessarily the better player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    As soon as I was finished cursing the dearth of quality in centre midfield, levelling accusations of uselessness at Andrews in particular, he went and did some hard work. He's making a habit of making me eat my words is our Keith.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    O'Shea clearly communicates with the doc to track Baros. The doc was having one of his lapses in concentration again and chose not to do so. But the goal was coming one way or the other, the Czechs were well on top at that stage of the game.

Trapattoni has in his mind what his strongest eleven is. That eleven are well versed in how Trapattoni wants them to play. Last night's game was an opportunity to try something new that wasn't taken. Quite disheartening to see Green coming on (especially when we're a goal down), and promising youngsters like Coleman, Duffy and McCarthy lefted to watch from the sidelines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Typical friendly game for us.

Always good to avoid defeat but I think we needed to try something new instead of same old same old. Nothing too dramatic just a wee tweak here and there. I think it would have been nice to see McCarthy partner Andrews and I wanted to see a Keane/Walters partnership.

I really do think the team can cause a shock or two this summer. If we can keep each game tight, frustrate our opponents and raise our game like we tend to do at major tournaments then picking up points is not out of the question.

McClean is a real live wire and I really think he could make an impact at Euro 2012 if given a shot. If only we had a big powerful central midfielder....

Great goal by Cox. We are spolit for strikers at the moment. Keane, Doyle, Walters, Cox and Long are great options to have and when you look what Stuart Pearce has to work with it does make you realise how lucky we are.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Very strange that McCarthy was in the original panel yet, when a change was made it was the late inclusion, Green, who came on. It baffles me to be honest. It suggests the Trap didn't like what he saw from McCarthy in training.
    Greens handled the step up to international a lot better than James, Trap has been giving him chances but obviously feels he isn't ready.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Greens handled the step up to international a lot better than James, Trap has been giving him chances but obviously feels he isn't ready.
    Defending Green playing ahead of McCarthy. I've heard it all now. That 60 out of position minutes a year ago was some chance for James.

Seeing Green coming on ahead of McCarthy was the most disheartening thing I've seen from an Ireland manager. I felt like crying.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    McCarthy is so over-rated it's not true.
    That said, Green is a donkey.

Honourable group elimination beckons, surely

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Once upon a time AB, you would have predicted a dishonourable group elimination, I see signs of some optimism creeping in.

13. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Sorry cant agree with this McCarthy has not been given any opportunity to play in his natural role for us

McCarthy is so over-rated it's not true. - How do you come by this conclusion the lad has not had an opportunity to show what he can do for us

Last night McCarthy should have played from the start never mind be overlooked by Green (who is not rated as high as Hendrick by the Derby support)
    I know we can all be arm chair managers but its an absolute travesty that he is not giving young players a chance to prove themselves worthy of a place
    in the squad. It must be so frustrating for some of them, this is what friendly’s are for he should know his first eleven inside out . We should have used this
    game to give some of the youngsters a chance to show what they can do. What a shame we haven’t got Abramovich to tell him what team to pick.

Total waste of an opportunity once again from Trap

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    On the sports news on the radio there that Trap didn't bring on McCarthy because he was too young to bring on in a game we were losing.

Said that the game was still important for FIFA rankings, but I don't see how that's relevant with the Euro and World Cup draws already made?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunners View Post
    I know we can all be arm chair managers but its an absolute travesty that he is not giving young players a chance to prove themselves worthy of a place in the squad.
    Not this again. Off the top of my head Coleman, McCarthy, O'Dea, Randolph, Henderson, Clifford, Treacy, Sheridan, McClean all called into the squad by Trapattoni since he took over.
    It must be so frustrating for some of them, this is what friendly’s are for he should know his first eleven inside out.
    I'm pretty sure he does
    We should have used this game to give some of the youngsters a chance to show what they can do.
    You mean like trying a new partnership at centre half, or give two new strike partners a run in the same game, twice?
    What a shame we haven’t got Abramovich to tell him what team to pick.
    I don't even know where to start with that one
    Take the blinkers off and recognise the opportunities that were taken, instead of the ones you wish had been.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Trap has said before that he wants to see more of McCarthy, hear him talking more, demanding the ball more.
    He's been playing either in a 5 man midfield or in front of 3 central defenders this season. Neither formation we play.
    My guess is that he'll only throw him on for Robbie Keane if we are winning a game. A waste, sure, but until McCarthy starts dominating midfield for his club, or impressing more in training, that's how Trap will see it. We all know he's stubborn.

If McCarthy isn't getting a game, likewise Coleman or anyone else, they mustn't be impressing enough in training. Green obviously has something about him that Trap can't ignore, either he's ones one of those mouthy players in training (or has naked pics of Trap and Manuela).

I'm like most fans, I want to see us keep the ball more, want to see young lads get a chance, want more excitement during games etc, but to blame it all on Trap is missing part of the issue. The players have to take some of the responsibility. Trap can't stop us playing football like we famously did in Paris. That's my main hope for the summer, that somehow the players will drag themselves up by their bootlaces and produce some performances. Last night nobody wanted to be the one with the wrong 'mentality' and lose their squad/team place.

It's unfair that McCarthy, Coleman aren't getting gametime to show us fans what they're about, but we have to assume that Trap is learning far more on the training pitch. New players don't walk straight into the lineup at clublevel, international football is another stepup because of the limited time together. McCarthy could possibly have trouble learning/adapting to the system?

And I wouldn't take any heed of what Dunphy has to say on the matter, he has no idea about how much the game has developed since he was in a dressing room, he's a spoofer looking for a few column inches.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Tets - I was referring to McCarthy and McClean. I was not asking for a B team selection

Abramovich was tongue in cheek

When did I blink and miss the opportunities taken

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think the simple fact is that we were losing the midfield battle for an hour and we restored some manner of parity after Green came on. It would have been nice to see McCarthy but it wouldn't have been great to see him come on to run around chasing shadows. And Green offered more than Whelan did on the night.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Really disillusioned after last night. Either we were afraid of the ball or told not to look for it too keenly. The players showed no imagination or fluency and except for the first minute anything positive came more from force of will rather than anything fluent.

Last night the Swedes, the nation most devoted to 4-4-2 in history, went 4-3-3 and apparently comprehensively outplayed Croatia. Where's our imagination or flexibility?

Our full backs offer us nothing in attack, yet this position is one of the most critical in the modern game and, in my opinion, would be the key to converting this team from a laboured, static team of hoofers to a dynamic modern football team. Did O'Shea even once look to play a measured pass or did he always chip-pass a ball 30 yards up the touchline?

I don't think anyone played particuarly badly or well, it's just the lack of basic cohesion in possession that leaves me exasperated - and let's face it, it's been that way since we beat Finland 3-0 away in late 2002.

I'm all for being disciplined without the ball and for a while last night we pressed the ball harder than usual, but we just reverted to our customary "stand off" tactic before long. What we do with the ball is a huge disappointment.

Still, we're consistently better away from Dublin under Trap.

I had a dream last night: it was summer 2014 in Brazil, and Coleman and McClean were attacking full backs. Jim McLoughlin was Ireland manager! (OK, I made the dream bit up, that'd have been sad)
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 01/03/2012 at 2:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    O'Shea's distribution is infuriating Stutt's. Experienced pro taking the 50/50 option every time.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast