Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Lack of friendies/b game

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Lack of friendies/b game

Why is there so few friendly dates in this years calender?
    I really think we arrange at least two B games:

Here are some players i would like to see involved

Henderson
    Randolph
    Doyle

Duffy
    Wilsonn
    Chambers
    Sterman
    Mc Carthy
    Cunningham
    Pearce

Hoolihan
    Mc Cann
    Brady
    Mc lean
    Clifford
    Piklington

Heffernan
    Daly
    Scannell
    Mason

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Agreed, but remember that there are only certain dates allocated to international football when the clubs are obliged to release players. Those dates will also include competitive U21 internationals. On any other dates the clubs will say feck off, and in the latter stages of a season will be slow to release players even when they have to. C'est la vie.

My guess (hope) is that the FAI & Trap are fully aware of the usefulness of such games, but opportunities are limited.

I do also believe that there is a genuine chain of information from Doolin / King up to the senior squad. I've seen some quotes to that effect.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I taugh fifa , uefa would be milking a tournanment year and throwing in plenty of friendly dates.. I think we just have 1 game Feb and 2 in May

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Trap and the crew are well clued in, despite criticism. They receive regular updates on all players that have been involved, in the form of a portfolio, as well as possibilities for the future. As you say, Doolin and King make recommendations also.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    I taugh fifa , uefa would be milking a tournanment year and throwing in plenty of friendly dates.. I think we just have 1 game Feb and 2 in May
    Well the league season has to end early to accommodate the championship, plus there are usually more internationals in the latter part of the year than the start. We used up two of our friendly opportunities with the playoff.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Why is there so few friendly dates in this years calender?
    I really think we arrange at least two B games
    Does anyone even play 'B' games still?
    Not that am against them, just don't seem to be a popular concept generally these days?

And agree with most of those names being given a chance, but given the fuss on here over the potential inclusion of eg. McClean over Duff, an old hand like Trap is unlikely to embrace change rapidly either, so unless he retires or expires, don't expect it! Sadly.

Rather than a pointless Czech game, maybe play 'A' v. 'B' as an, er, 'final eliminator'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    And agree with most of those names being given a chance, but given the fuss on here over the potential inclusion of eg. McClean over Duff, an old hand like Trap is unlikely to embrace change rapidly either, so unless he retires or expires, don't expect it! Sadly.
    has introduced many more new players to his team than the likes of you give him credit for. no point in change for the sake of it
    Last edited by jbyrne; 12/01/2012 at 4:44 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Would rather:

Westwood
    Foley O'Dea Kelly Kilbane
    Coleman Gibson Fahey Hunt
    Long Walters

Y'know an actual B side of people pushing for starting places and not a D or E side of no hopers.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Would rather:

Westwood
    Foley O'Dea Kelly Kilbane
    Coleman Gibson Fahey Hunt
    Long Walters

Y'know an actual B side of people pushing for starting places and not a D or E side of no hopers.
    I would do something like

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Clark Stevens
    Walters Wilson McCarthy McClean
    Keane Stokes

With the wrong injuries almost any of them could end up in the squad and they all have less than 5 caps each (apart from Keane obviously). E.g. At the minute if we lose 2 keepers for the championship we don't really have a viable option who has made his international debut. Whether we play something like that in a B game, on in a full friendly doesn't really matter to my eyes as long as we get a look at them, but B games seem to be looked upon as being a bit 20th century.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Stevens ahead of Cunningham?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Could easily be the other way round. Went with Stevens as he has never made his debut and we could end up taking him if Ward & Kilbane were both injured. But the point is really about giving guys like Stevens and Cunningham another cap. There is nothing more to learn about Kilbane, Hunt of Fahey even if they don't usually start, but we really don't want someone making his debut against Spain.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    has introduced many more new players to his team than the likes of you give him credit for. no point in change for the sake of it
    Unsure what you mean by 'the likes of you', but I'm telling you know, unless we do embrace change pretty quickly we'll be struggling when the current crop retire.
    There's every reason for change, though accept that's not Trap's style.
    He should however make more efforts to pick players 'in form', rather than rely on the same old, same old...

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    There's every reason for change, though accept that's not Trap's style.
    He should however make more efforts to pick players 'in form', rather than rely on the same old, same old...
    This is the crux of the matter.

In my opinion, and I'm sure many others, including Trapattoni possibly, international football is a different animal to Club Football(obviously). Continuity is a far stronger aspect when working with players intermittently.
    Keeping a core group of players together for long periods is crucial to foster international success. A side effect of this of course is that is there isn't a lot of scope to try out new players. In my opinion, Trap has found a good balance, he has regularly introduced new players to the squad, granted not quick enough to everyones liking, but that's his prerogative, no one elses.

In his eyes, I'm sure he is picking players 'in form'. I'd hate if we went down the route of England, whose team seems to be picked by the tabloids calling for the flavour of the months inclusion because he's had a few good performances against Swansea and QPR.

All that being said, major tournaments don't come around that often for us, and if a bolter should come along, i.e McClean, I hope Trap has the pragmatism to explore the option, as no stone should be left unturned, but not to the detriment of the squad dynamic.

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I would do something like

Randolph
    Coleman Duffy Clark Stevens
    Walters Wilson McCarthy McClean
    Keane Stokes
    That team simply won't happen.

Firstly, it's Westwood and not Randolph that needs to get a game to get him comfortable playing in the team should Given get himself crocked. Duffy, Clark and Stephens are obviously players for the future and I think it would be suicidal to throw such young and experienced players up against the likes of Spain and Italy. McClean is a little different, given he has made a fairly big breakthrough, I would consider giving him game time.

If I was picking a team, it would be as follows.

Westwood (GK)
    Wilson (RB)
    St Ledger (CB)
    O'Dea (CB)
    O'Shea (LB)
    Coleman (RM)
    Gibson (CM)
    McCarthy (CM)
    Hunt (LM)
    Long (ST)
    Cox (ST)

I would also give Walters a half.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    It's a good point with our opposition in mind, we need wily old hands who won't be intimidated playing world champions rather than young upstarts who've never tasted the game at this level before. Particularly in defence where our back 4 will be under immense pressure all game, they need to have 100% concentration and focus, no room for even one error. Very rare you get those kind of games from young defenders as they'll have not walked that tightrope before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    I think it would be suicidal to throw such young and experienced players up against the likes of Spain and Italy.
    I agree, but in the real world if we suffer a spate of injuries in one position those are the players we are looking at falling back on. For example you are quite right to say that if Given picks up an injury Westwood is next in line, but what if we also lose him?

The same thing applies in a couple of positions. If we lose Duff and Hunt we will be looking at people like McClean or Hoolahan. If we lose Ward and Kilbane, the likes of Cunningham, Stevens and Tierney come into contention.

It's not that unlikely that something like this could happen, especially in the goalkeeping position. Taking an uncapped goalie, who has never played at a level higher than SPL/English 2nd Division, even as a 3rd choice, is madness.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 14/01/2012 at 1:10 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    This is the crux of the matter.

In my opinion, and I'm sure many others, including Trapattoni possibly, international football is a different animal to Club Football(obviously). Continuity is a far stronger aspect when working with players intermittently.
    Keeping a core group of players together for long periods is crucial to foster international success. A side effect of this of course is that is there isn't a lot of scope to try out new players. In my opinion, Trap has found a good balance, he has regularly introduced new players to the squad, granted not quick enough to everyones liking, but that's his prerogative, no one elses.

In his eyes, I'm sure he is picking players 'in form'. I'd hate if we went down the route of England, whose team seems to be picked by the tabloids calling for the flavour of the months inclusion because he's had a few good performances against Swansea and QPR.

All that being said, major tournaments don't come around that often for us, and if a bolter should come along, i.e McClean, I hope Trap has the pragmatism to explore the option, as no stone should be left unturned, but not to the detriment of the squad dynamic.
    Much of what you say makes sense and you say it well, but besides the 'new blood element, btw makes a good point re.the lack of experience we have in terms of cover.
    Which is precious little with many of the players we mention.

If we have to face the likes of Spain with people like Kilbane or Green we'll take the beatings everyone expects. We have to have some sort of relative 'surprise' element in reserve...
    It's not as if we're not already the most predictable team tactically in the whole tournament.
    I respect Trap's 'Plan A', but are we even half way towards any 'Plan B'?
    Would be interested to see this...If it exists.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    its a nice sentiment from Trappatoni and creates the right type of motivational headline but i hope beyond hope that he will not limit our options if there are viable alternatives out there. Charlton blooded the three amigos before USA94 and we were rewarded in spades at that tournament. I believe McCarthy did the same with Steven Reid before 2002 and he didnt disappoint. Its really short-sighted from Trap if true.

22. Thanks From: