Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Enda Stevens D Stoke City b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Starting today
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Delighted for him. Hopefully Valencia goes easy on him.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Had a good first half,was more than up to the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Call him up Trap
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    At fault for 2 goals, despite this his general game was decent. A lot to learn yet.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    At fault for 2 goals, despite this his general game was decent. A lot to learn yet.
    Had a hand in all the goals for me. First one he kept them onside, second one he was in no position to defend the cross (granted gabby agbon was terrible for this and gave him no protection), third was the worst for me, didn't do enough to stop Hernandez.

His defensive play in the first half was decent, didnt dive in which was good. Second half he came undone a bit under severe pressure.

Not the worst debut Ive ever seen but has a long way to come.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Had a hand in all the goals for me. First one he kept them onside, second one he was in no position to defend the cross (granted gabby agbon was terrible for this and gave him no protection), third was the worst for me, didn't do enough to stop Hernandez.

His defensive play in the first half was decent, didnt dive in which was good. Second half he came undone a bit under severe pressure.

Not the worst debut Ive ever seen but has a long way to come.
    They weren't playing offside for the first goal - he was in a good position. The second he followed his man's run like he's supposed to for the second. The third he should have done better for but, again, great movement from Hernandez and the whole defence was a bit disorganised.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They weren't playing offside for the first goal - he was in a good position. The second he followed his man's run like he's supposed to for the second. The third he should have done better for but, again, great movement from Hernandez and the whole defence was a bit disorganised.
    If hernandez is in behind Clark and Stevens is keeping Hernandez onside, that for me is playing him on side. I said for the second agbon should of done better. But with ample men in the box a more experienced defender may of pushed across to give support to Gabby as the ball was very obviously going to end up in behind him before it was played but he didnt read it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well he was playing him onside, I'm just saying he wasn't supposed to be holding the line when there was essentially no danger and United were in their own half.

For the second, I think he's positioned close to his centre halves like he should be when the winger runs inside. It is never the full back's job to cover the opposing full back, and even if it was it wasn't physically possible for him to get anywhere near Rafael. He wouldn't have gotten within 10 yards even if he had tried to close him down.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Was at the game, yes Enda was at fault from time to time, but he's still young and as long as he learns from this it can only be good for him long term.

Rome wasn't built in a day, as a very good manager often says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    How did Ciaran Clark play, Sean?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well he was playing him onside, I'm just saying he wasn't supposed to be holding the line when there was essentially no danger and United were in their own half.

For the second, I think he's positioned close to his centre halves like he should be when the winger runs inside. It is never the full back's job to cover the opposing full back, and even if it was it wasn't physically possible for him to get anywhere near Rafael. He wouldn't have gotten within 10 yards even if he had tried to close him down.
    Wasn't supposed to be holding the line? He should always be aware, especially against a team with someone who can pick a pass like Scholes. He was covering too deep regardless. His position wasnt good enough to cover the run of Hernandez and stop him,he kept Hernandez onside, Hernandez got the ball and scored, hence he was in a poor position.
    Essentially no danger?? They scored and it wasn't a wonder goal.

For the second, did you watch it live?? It was a stick out what was going to happen. All I'm saying is a more experienced player may have moved across. Not that it was gross negligence.

Im not saying he had a stinker. I already praised his defensive qualities for the first half, just saying he was involved in all 3 goals in some way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manblue View Post
    Im not saying he had a stinker. I already praised his defensive qualities for the first half, just saying he was involved in all 3 goals in some way.
    Given that it was against Man Yoo and that even you seem to think there's something there, I think Endas gonna be alright!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It wouldn't have hurt had he been level with Clark but if there had been a line to hold I think Vlaar would have been screaming at him to hold it. It was a world class pass and a great run but I think he was in the correct position to guard against Valencia running from deep, which I think was the main danger.

I watched the second live and thought he did exactly what he was supposed to do. My only thought was "where the hell is the winger?" This same argument was brought up in Ireland-Russia when Ward kept following Arshavin's run infield. He chose to do his job and defend his man - it was his teammate who didn't do his, and Stevens couldn't possibly and shouldn't have anticipated that. If he had moved across he'd have been in no man's land.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i dont know if its experience,doziness,lapse of concentration or Wardism he was very poor positionally. hopefully he gets another chance.clark was ok.beaten too easily for the first

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I haven't seen any of it but Stevens has got some good notices from the usually ascerbic (not always particularly fair) Villa Talk forum. Consensus seems to be he largely did well if showed his inexperience in lead up to goals.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    none were clear cut in fairness like ward for example

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    In terms of irrational hatreds throughout history, Paul O'Shea vs. Stephen Ward has now moved ahead of Adolf Hitler vs. The Jews...

(Thank you Mr. Godwin!)

19. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why was he thrown in against united of all teams for his debut? Villa injury crisis?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    no he is just a good barometer to compare with.start at 0 and work your way up....

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast