Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Enda Stevens D Stoke City b.1990

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He is in the top 50 of whoscored at #44.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Bad timing to say this considering Keogh went and set up the winner in the play-offs a couple of days after.
    Big test for Richard and Shane tomorrow night. Let's hope they can stick their heads on a free kick or two and put the ball in the Swiss net.
    And here's hoping also they won't resort to hoofing the ball all night long to nobody in particular?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Thought he had a poor game overall. Made a few mistakes that could've been punished. Great heart though and never stopped going.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Thought he had a rough start but grew into the game. His yellow was a tough one because the ref got it right but Enda did have to go for that one. He tries to keep possession but got himself into trouble a few times.

I’d stick with him. Who does Mick play there for Georgia away with Enda suspended? Doherty?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Options conceivable options are:

1) Doherty
    2) Brady

Those would be my two preferences. A way to get Doherty into the side is a good thing. As for Brady, it might be his best position. He did well there both at club level before going to Burnley and for Ireland prior to the Germany game and the long term injury. It allows you get his left foot into the game, which admittedly is less important with Hourihane on the pitch but still is an advantage.

3) McClean
    4) Christie

Mick’s mentioned that McClean would have been his go-to guy to cover Stevens if he needed. He’s playing there sometimes in a back 5 for Stoke but I’m not really sure the defensive instincts are there to play left back.

Christie has done well there for Ireland on the few occasions he played there. Perhaps the game against Cyprus? hard to remember now but he can certainly play the position and against Georgia he wouldn’t let you down.

5) Clarke
    6) Long

Clark started his Ireland career at left back. Yep remember him being superb against Wales where Gary Speed was managing Wales. He was quick and composed. Played another few games in the home nations cup in that position and was very good and then got moved to centre half. Been a long time since that point.

Kevin Long played 2-3 games under MON there. Good defensively and useful both defending and attacking set pieces but hardly Roberto Carlos.

7) Hayes
    8) Cunningham
    9) D Williams
    10) Manning

Serious long shots...

Hayes won man of the match against Valencia playing that position under Rodgers. Celtic don’t really have a good left back with Tierney gone, so if he were to break into the side in that position, maybe...

Cunningham was supposed to be great for Preston for years but it didn’t work for him at Cardiff. But he’s probably the only natural left back on the list, so there’s an argument for that.

Williams, his only irish cap came at left back. Big versatile lad and useful championship player.

Manning - just started playing there for QPR. Centre midfielder by trade but another month of good performances in that position could draw the attention of the staff

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Lee O'Connor? Another serious long shot, granted, but if he gets games at Celtic in the next few weeks....
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I suppose we can throw Luca Connell in there in the long shot category as well.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Options conceivable options are:

1) Doherty
    2) Brady

Those would be my two preferences. A way to get Doherty into the side is a good thing. As for Brady, it might be his best position. He did well there both at club level before going to Burnley and for Ireland prior to the Germany game and the long term injury. It allows you get his left foot into the game, which admittedly is less important with Hourihane on the pitch but still is an advantage.

3) McClean
    4) Christie

Mick’s mentioned that McClean would have been his go-to guy to cover Stevens if he needed. He’s playing there sometimes in a back 5 for Stoke but I’m not really sure the defensive instincts are there to play left back.

Christie has done well there for Ireland on the few occasions he played there. Perhaps the game against Cyprus? hard to remember now but he can certainly play the position and against Georgia he wouldn’t let you down.

5) Clarke
    6) Long

Clark started his Ireland career at left back. Yep remember him being superb against Wales where Gary Speed was managing Wales. He was quick and composed. Played another few games in the home nations cup in that position and was very good and then got moved to centre half. Been a long time since that point.

Kevin Long played 2-3 games under MON there. Good defensively and useful both defending and attacking set pieces but hardly Roberto Carlos.

7) Hayes
    8) Cunningham
    9) D Williams
    10) Manning

Serious long shots...

Hayes won man of the match against Valencia playing that position under Rodgers. Celtic don’t really have a good left back with Tierney gone, so if he were to break into the side in that position, maybe...

Cunningham was supposed to be great for Preston for years but it didn’t work for him at Cardiff. But he’s probably the only natural left back on the list, so there’s an argument for that.

Williams, his only irish cap came at left back. Big versatile lad and useful championship player.

Manning - just started playing there for QPR. Centre midfielder by trade but another month of good performances in that position could draw the attention of the staff
    Great post as ever but I’m surprised Coleman doesn’t make your list es! In the game thread I just mentioned him at left back (with Doherty coming in at right back) being a decent contingency. Coleman done well there for Everton a couple of games back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Thought he had a rough start but grew into the game. His yellow was a tough one because the ref got it right but Enda did have to go for that one. He tries to keep possession but got himself into trouble a few times.
    Yeah, this was my take on Stevens too. First 20-25 mins he was very shaky. He’s coming along nicely at this level though.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Agree with this again. He was shaky at the start but it was one of his first appearances against a good international side and he has been more familiar with the wing back role. He did far better in the second half and was fine in the first half for the brief time he was left of a back three.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Needs a run of games . He is improving .

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yeah, this was my take on Stevens too. First 20-25 mins he was very shaky. He’s coming along nicely at this level though.
    Shaky Stevens.

Oh oh, Tets won't like this

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I agree - Stevens had a horrible start to the game but grew into it. I think he tried to do the right thing by being composed ion the ball when chipping it up the line would have been easier, but his optionbs and support were limited so he got caught. Coleman ahda great first half but suffered from the same problem in the second half. Some of Stevens' crosses were superb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Nothing on the Stevens thread for a while. Must be Irish player of the season in the premier league so far...

18. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Certainly doing well for my fantasy football team! Another bonus point performance away against Arsenal yesterday. My policy of always picking ex UCD players standing me well

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He has been absolutely superb. I suppose there is not that much else to say. Wouldn't look remotely out of place playing for one of the big boys.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He has been absolutely superb. I suppose there is not that much else to say. Wouldn't look remotely out of place playing for one of the big boys.
    I try and watch every Sheffield United game, mostly to swoon over Didsy (a magical, beautiful player) but also because about 10-20 times a game I'll shout to my viewing partner "Look at Stevens!" because he'll have done something great, either defensive or attacking. He has been absolutely amazing. His lofted ball in that landed on one of the striker's heads and went straight in the net but was ruled out by VAR over Xmas was a thing of beauty. His progression in the last 12 months is astonishing, to me anyway.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    That's what I think but I have some "Bohs-minded" pals who though I was just looking at him through hooped glasses earlier in the season. I think we all agree now. He's taken to the EPL like a duck to water.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Nominated for Premier League Goal of the Month.
    Vote here: https://www.premierleague.com/news/1634487
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Playing today hopefully fit in few weeks

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast