Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LoI/GAA discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Er, like between who? I don't see papers reporting on Salthill Devon or Monaghan.
    Like sunday league games, you telling me you've never seen them in the paper?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sunday league - like adults? I don't really keep an eye out for it to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Er, like between who? I don't see papers reporting on Salthill Devon or Monaghan.
    http://monaghanunited.tumblr.com/post/12379302819/star1

And possibly in honour of our ex-Lazio (then) goalkeeper:

http://monaghanunited.tumblr.com/pos...ta-dello-sport

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...a-2988190.html Wonder did someone up in the fortress of evil read this tread in between torturing pensioners and single parents.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Interesting you should mention that, because League Two/Conference clubs seem to have broadly the same attendance levels, financial difficulties, clubs winding up etc, even though they've substantially less competition from other sports. The provincial rugby teams would also be worth studying, 15 years ago they were only playing each other in front of tiny crowds, but they got much greater backing from the IRFU than the FAI gives League of Ireland clubs.
    Yeah but there's basically TWO provincial rugby teams in this country.
    It's easy to focus the resources on them.
    The AIL might as well not exist as far as the general public are concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...a-2988190.html Wonder did someone up in the fortress of evil read this tread in between torturing pensioners and single parents.
    Interesting. So, the GAA President himself admits that county managers are getting paid, against their own rules. Based on his admission (and not my speculation), these payments could not therefore be being declared for tax purposes, so both the county boards and managers would be in breach of criminal law.

And yet Revenue have met with the GAA in advance of audits. And now the GAA will be meeting each county board to tell them how to prepare their books for audit. What does that mean? Surely each board is legally bound to keep accurate records as it is? Is this another way of saying they will show them how to hide what has been going on?

In today's climate, how is any of that legally or ethically justifiable, by Revenue, the GAA, county boards, or those in receipt of payments?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I'm not sure much will come of it - the Revenue is completely understaffed as it is, as seen by the whole pensions debacle. If they are going to do it, it's because they have a very good chance of getting a lot of cash.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I can only assume payments to coaches in club rugby and soccer are all above board and fully tax compliant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    Interesting. So, the GAA President himself admits that county managers are getting paid, against their own rules. Based on his admission (and not my speculation), these payments could not therefore be being declared for tax purposes, so both the county boards and managers would be in breach of criminal law.

And yet Revenue have met with the GAA in advance of audits. And now the GAA will be meeting each county board to tell them how to prepare their books for audit. What does that mean? Surely each board is legally bound to keep accurate records as it is? Is this another way of saying they will show them how to hide what has been going on?

In today's climate, how is any of that legally or ethically justifiable, by Revenue, the GAA, county boards, or those in receipt of payments?
    Ways and means, there are ways managers can get paid (in effect) and not be liable for tax - expences,travel costs (milage) etc. There are however Revenue criteria around these and I suspect the GAA will be advising clubs/counties how to stay within the rules/guidelines in place.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Ways and means, there are ways managers can get paid (in effect) and not be liable for tax - expences,travel costs (milage) etc. There are however Revenue criteria around these and I suspect the GAA will be advising clubs/counties how to stay within the rules/guidelines in place.
    The rules are pretty strict though, and fairly low. If I recall correctly, all LoI clubs were audited and hammered on this issue following Rovers examinership and the hit revenue took. A lot of LoI clubs had to reduce expenses/ pay more tax on the payments to players after revenue deemed them to be tax deductable.

I'm sure I'm just a bitter LoI fan, but it does read very poorly that Revenue met the GAA ahead of audits to give them a chance to be compliant, rather than going after unpaid due taxes. Given the figures that are common knowledge, and the fact that most managers have "day" jobs as well, there'd be circa 50% due on anything above what the revenue lay out as non tax allowable expenses (for the last 6 years too).
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456