Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Crowley M Notts County b.1997

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    If only they would, but for all MO'N's 'noises' on the topic, Crowley, Bamford & Redmond show no sign of being available...

If he/they were serious, he'd fast-track all three in for the Gibraltar home game and job done. But it won't happen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I agree AB, although I'd add that MON has clearly been sending the feelers out, talking to players or their agents and I think he has a fair idea of who intends doing what.

McGoldrick looks the most likely and right at this point in time he also looks the most useful.

Bamford scored a few nice goals last season but, despite the concerns (or worse) over his longevity, I'd back Robbie Keane to be a 20 goal a season guy at that Derby team in that league. I'd say Long wouldn't be far off it either.

All this talk of desperately seeking a few granny rulers is really grating with me. Germany will win the group, no doubt. That's not to say there isn't a point or three to be got from them - that's what the players must be made to believe anyway - but realistically we are in a straight battle with Scotland and Poland.

I don't see any new granny rulers being necessary. Despite my loathing of his attitude I'd have Stephen Ireland back.

Andy Reid will be a new recruit in effect. So too will Gibson. So too will Brady. We will hopefully see McGeady deliver consistently, benefitting from full fitness and consistent first team football. Coleman and McCarthy can cut it with the best.

Hoolahan's demotion won't matter a jot. He was excellent for Ireland when not playing at all for Norwich. How can he be any worse if playing regularly?

And so on...

Cheer up all. This squad is good enough to get second place. If I was to bet on it, I'd say they won't but it's marginal.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/08/2014 at 9:45 AM.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Thanks for the positivity Stutts. Some would have you believe a Scotland side containing Alan Hutton, Russell Martin, Grant Hanley, Barry Bannan and Ikechi Anya are exponentially better than us. I'm getting tired of the negativity.

As regards the potential players you've mentioned, I suppose they're much more relevant in a long-term context. Bamford, Redmond, Kane and Crowley are all very young and boast as much potential as most Irish players their age (give me Brady over Redmond though).

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Appreciate the positivity too, but until proven otherwise still feel Scotland have more of a settled (& efficient) 'team', so a dose too of reality.

As for us, we need to look at the long-term, so cap who can v. the Gibbers...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Be patient lads. For God's sake the boy is only 17 years old; barely old enough to tie his shoe laces. He is a dual-identity. When he is 24 years old and playing for Scarborough, he may discover that he wanted to play for us all along.

@ Ole Ole

Ireland and Scotland are at the same level there or thereabouts but you have to admit that is slightly disconcerting that 8 or 9 Scottish players have moved up to the PL and another 2 or 3 have moved to Champions League caliber teams on the continent; this includes a couple of very young left backs. I don't even include James McArthur who has had a £4m bid for him by Burnley rejected by Wigan.

We do have Lenihan but he is ostensibly being signed for an U-21 team, like Sam Byrne.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    ...true, but I'd have thought we have note players already at a level at least as good as they do, if not better. We have 3 or 4 players at Everton for example. I'd be happier about the medium term future if our young players were. Owing up the ladder, sure.

Anyway, the World Cup us barely over and we're falling into the trap that we think good international teams must all contain top level players, or players all at top clubs. Chile had a left back released by Nottm Forest.

I'm not fussed where our players play, but my own eyes tell me that Ward is a weakness, but just as much as my own eyes tell me that Reod and Hoolahan are more than capable of causing Scotland and Poland trouble.

Right now I'd say a "best of" XI from both countries would be roughly half and half. I'd bite your hand off for Mulgrew although AB will probably know better.

They have a year's more momentum behind them but I think we have every chance of building our own momentum with the games against Oman, Georgia and Gib. If we can win those games having played well then all of a sudden we have form and momentum too. No matter what the paying punters say, the choice of Oman in the next friendly is a good one.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Mulgrew's probably playing better for Scotland than Celtic right now. Thought he was a bit of a totem club-wise, but he's been shocking recently.
    Let's hope he's like that in November.

Or biggest problem, besides the Crowleys of this world is MO'N even knowing his best XI. Which I doubt has ever played for him, but there is a good bit of dead wood that could be potentially jettisoned...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Be patient lads. For God's sake the boy is only 17 years old; barely old enough to tie his shoe laces. He is a dual-identity. When he is 24 years old and playing for Scarborough, he may discover that he wanted to play for us all along.

@ Ole Ole

Ireland and Scotland are at the same level there or thereabouts but you have to admit that is slightly disconcerting that 8 or 9 Scottish players have moved up to the PL and another 2 or 3 have moved to Champions League caliber teams on the continent; this includes a couple of very young left backs. I don't even include James McArthur who has had a £4m bid for him by Burnley rejected by Wigan.

We do have Lenihan but he is ostensibly being signed for an U-21 team, like Sam Byrne.
    I could be completely wrong in stating this, but isn't there a higher saturation of Scottish players in England? Hence, they're more likely to have more upwardly mobile players? Either way, I agree with your assertion that we haven't had many move up from Championship to PL. But, I don't think we had that many candidates playing Championship football to move up. And, anyway, try applying the logic to Stephen Ward getting a move into the PL whilst Hendrick is still in Championship.

As Stutts stated, there are some good Irish players at some good PL sides already. Furthermore, I haven't seen any Scottish player garner a fee of £12m!

These things go in swings and roundabouts. I wouldn't be concerned at players being settled at their clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Furthermore, I haven't seen any Scottish player garner a fee of £12m!
    Not since Ross McCormack signed for Fulham last month anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    My tongue was in my cheek with that one. Both inflated but McCormack's probably more so. Either way, £12m is a whole £1m more than £11m. Think about what you would do with £1m and you'll realise my point still stands

13. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I could be completely wrong in stating this, but isn't there a higher saturation of Scottish players in England? Hence, they're more likely to have more upwardly mobile players?
    Suprisingly there are more Irish players playing in the English leagues than any other nationality (excluding English).
    232 Irish players http://www.football-lineups.com/coun...aying_in/?q=E1
    155 Scottish players http://www.football-lineups.com/coun...aying_in/?q=E1

Despite a few Scottish players joining the Premier League this year, they lost the same amount to relegation and have the same amount as last season (23)
    There's consistently been more Irish players (ROI) in the top division in the last 15 years. However it has dipped in recent years. The actual amount of players doesn't bother me though, it's the quality of player which we should be worried about.

Breakdown of Irish V Scottish nationalities in the Premier League (98-15)
    Year Irish Scottish
    14/15 31 23
    13/14 29 23
    12/13 35 24
    11/12 46 26
    10/11 43 23
    09/10 42 27
    08/09 33 16
    07/08 37 22
    06/07 28 22
    05/06 34 22
    04/05 30 22
    03/04 39 31
    02/03 46 21
    01/02 32 26
    00/01 32 37
    99/00 37 34
    98/99 32 36
    Last edited by Closed Account; 16/08/2014 at 2:18 AM.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Crowley will choose Ireland, according to his former GAA coach: http://balls.ie/football/dan-crowley...y-for-ireland/
    But switching to England seems an odd route to take on the path to playing for Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    But switching to England seems an odd route to take on the path to playing for Ireland.
    Pressure from his club, managers, possibly friends as well as English background would have played a part in his decision to play for England. Teenagers will always give in to peer pressure! Hopefully, he will consider his decision more carefully over the next while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    He didn't technically switch as far as the rules are concerned as he never played competitively for the FAI, so wasn't officially registered with us. He is registered with England at present though, having played competitively for their under-17s, so his next decision would have to be a considered one as it'll be permanent if he decides to effect his right to make a single switch. TOWK may mock, but he's not yet an adult and has plenty of time to decide. Even if he does stick with England for a bit, I wouldn't feel that insulted if he eventually came calling our way. It's not because of "lower standards" or due to a willingness to accept any oul' chancer; it would be in recognition of his dual national status and the fact he seems very much in tune with his Irish heritage despite being born in England to England-born parents. That's not to say that he will do that either. I initially said I'd be surprised if he switched, but in light of information since, I think it's a realistic possibility. It sounds like a large chunk of his heart might be with us. His former GAA coach did allude to club politics having significant bearing, however. If Arsenal, who'll be paying his wages, would rather he stuck with England, it may be difficult for him to over-rule such pressure.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Maybe he is a mercenary and using England to further his career.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He didn't technically switch as far as the rules are concerned as he never played competitively for the FAI, so wasn't officially registered with us. He is registered with England at present though, having played competitively for their under-17s, so his next decision would have to be a considered one as it'll be permanent if he decides to effect his right to make a single switch. TOWK may mock, but he's not yet an adult and has plenty of time to decide. Even if he does stick with England for a bit, I wouldn't feel that insulted if he eventually came calling our way. It's not because of "lower standards" or due to a willingness to accept any oul' chancer; it would be in recognition of his dual national status and the fact he seems very much in tune with his Irish heritage despite being born in England to England-born parents. That's not to say that he will do that either. I initially said I'd be surprised if he switched, but in light of information since, I think it's a realistic possibility. It sounds like a large chunk of his heart might be with us. His former GAA coach did allude to club politics having significant bearing, however. If Arsenal, who'll be paying his wages, would rather he stuck with England, it may be difficult for him to over-rule such pressure.
    We haven't had much luck with players at some of the bigger clubs i.e. the Keane brothers, Crowley and Bamford. Also, Rhys Murphy played with us then England before reverting back to us. Conor Henderson did a little dithering too. Sean McGinty was also heavily linked with a switch to England before his career trajectory and conduct began to negate his prospects of England selection (not saying that was his only consideration or if he was destined to switch but he was linked with it).

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    And if Mr. Crowley turns out to be an Arsenal wonderkid and plays for Ireland then I will gladly accept I was wrong.

IF he and grealish end up in the first division or lower premiership without much prospect and turn out for Ireland, I will not be surprised either.

This lad probably does have a bit more about his Irish "credentials", but lets wait and see.
    There's been a (slight) predictive upgrade, from not only does he have to declare for Ireland, but now he also has to turn out to be one of the best players in the world, ranking with previous Arsenal stars,
    before you will accept you were wrong.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    We haven't had much luck with players at some of the bigger clubs i.e. the Keane brothers, Crowley and Bamford. Also, Rhys Murphy played with us then England before reverting back to us. Conor Henderson did a little dithering too. Sean McGinty was also heavily linked with a switch to England before his career trajectory and conduct began to negate his prospects of England selection (not saying that was his only consideration or if he was destined to switch but he was linked with it).
    really? when?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    We haven't had much luck with players at some of the bigger clubs i.e. the Keane brothers...
    Ironically, Michael cannot make the switch back to the FAI but his brother Will, who hasn't ever played for Ireland, could.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    really? when?
    Played under 17 for England anyway. I don't mean he was dithering back and forth, I mean he played for both and, by deduction, appeared uncertain for a period.

27. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast