Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Boxing 2012

No fecking about in 2012. January is usually a very quiet month as fighters dont like to have to starve themselves over the Christmas, however, Belfast's Jamie Conlan and Carl Frampton both have big fights in England this month and both on SKY.

I caught up with both of them this week.

Jamie Conland v Paul Edwards in Edwards home city Liverpool on January 21st

Carl Frampton v Kris Hughes in London on January 28th

Last edited by sligobhoy67; 03/01/2012 at 11:16 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Brian Magee's in shortly to defend the WBA Super Middleweight title against former European Champ Markussen. He's fighting away from home again, hopefully winning this will give him the recognition he deserves. Meanwhile I've stupidly backed Chisora to win. Madness.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Well, the befores and afters were more exciting than the Chisora fight, though credit to the man he got in close and made it tough. He has some chin!

For the record, Magee won in 5 rounds. It seemed close up until the ko. Tiny mention in the digest section of the IT.

Caught a fight on satellite last night from the US (Missouri I think) for the WBO Super Featherweight title. A Yank by the name of Adrien Broner defending against another undefeated lad (Hispanic) called Perez. He knocked him out in the 4th with a lunch to the back of the head, and before it was pretty much in front against a powder puff puncher. Broner seems to be moved in a protected way and god help him if he meets a hitter. He does have power, but no shock absorbers.
    Last edited by Spudulika; 26/02/2012 at 8:24 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Massive fight this weekend with a genuine upset on the cards - Matthew macklin takes on Sergio Martinez. Could be Bernard Dunne vs Cordoba all over again!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I wish I had your confidence for this one, Spudulika. Martinez is 1-10 with Paddy Power!

The adrenalin certainly flows when watching the Irish lads go for the big titles, but I can't see a victory here. I hope I'm wrong.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Paddy, I'm just sensing something in Martinez, he's acting more confident than normal (usually a sign of fear or weakness) and Macklin was robbed in Germany. I can see it going into the late rounds or on points, but it'd be great to see him win tonight. Of all the pro's on the circuit, Macklin is a genuinely nice lad, good technician and the lovely thing is, that since he lost to Sturm - he's Irish again :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    and the lovely thing is, that since he lost to Sturm - he's Irish again :-)
    Ha ha ha! Indeed, and if he loses tonight we'll still claim him for Ireland!

It's on at stupid o'clock in the morning so this is one I'll have to brace myself for before switching the radio on tomorrow morning to hear the result.

Not too much in the media about it in Ireland, in fact rte.ie haven't bothered to make it a news item today, as far as I can see, their latest news item for the bout was yesterday:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/boxing/2012/...martinezs.html

It'll be some news item if he pulls it off though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I was furious waiting for this, and crap fight after crap fight meant I'd to dash to the airport and missed it. Luckily my Dad taped it and I watched it when I got home. Good fight, but I cannot understand how Macklin ran out of steam so quickly. It seemed even up until about the 10th, then he just faded. Good fight, good effort, Martinez did well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Macklin was on OTB tonight. Really good interview and very honest about how he was pulled.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I know it's probably a bias on my side, but Irish fighters seem to be so much more realistic in their media dealings. David Haye's "toe", Amir Khan's "mojo" and so on, just seems to grate, same with hyped US fighters. I like Macklin, he's a good fighter at the European level and one of those fighters who could win a world title, defend it and pass it on. Hopefully he'll come back and have a proper world title tilt.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AIBABoxing

live on youttube - come on Katie......

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Gold for Katie, 11-7.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Great, she really is a credit to the nation and a great ambassador for her sport

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Carl Frampton won again last night, should be good for a European title fight. I wonder if he's being overlooked by the Irish media because of the Commonwealth thing? Very good fighter. On the same card as the big Froch win, very surprised seeing that result this morning as I expected a Bute-Ward showdown in the autumn.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Don't know if anyone's stayed up to watch Andy Lee take on JC Superstar II. US tv are absolutely ruining the fight, so many errors and it's as if they've never seen Lee before. One of the most glaring is that they're put up the caption (3 times) that it's Lee's 1st career title fight. I guess the NABF and Irish titles are nothing. And they explicitly stated - he's never held any sort of belt! Fingers crossed he'll take out Chavez.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Well, Andy was romping the first 3 rounds, then decided to trade - Chavez got inside his head before he got inside his guard. Lee landed more, boxed better, but there was too much interference from the ref - warning Andy for odd reasons yet he let Chavez away with head butts, kidney punches, low blows and slapping. But the loss comes down to the weaker mentality of Lee, he was told what to do, but went on ego and stupid bravado. He lost the fight in the 6th.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Spud, I taught it was the 7th round? Ref was very biased. But saying that, once Andy decided to fight Chavez's fight, he was never going to win.

Did you hear the Irish anthem before hand? It was an absolute disgrace. Guy couldn't pronounce the words, had to stop three times during it and to finish off just made up his own lines.

If anybody hasn't seen it, then it is worth trying to track down on Youtube

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman View Post
    Spud, I taught it was the 7th round? Ref was very biased. But saying that, once Andy decided to fight Chavez's fight, he was never going to win.

Did you hear the Irish anthem before hand? It was an absolute disgrace. Guy couldn't pronounce the words, had to stop three times during it and to finish off just made up his own lines.

If anybody hasn't seen it, then it is worth trying to track down on Youtube
    Magic man, what I meant was that (if you remember) he lost it in the 6th when he bought into Chavez's games - when the mexican started goading him etc. Andy had the fight in hand, he just had to follow orders. You could hear Steward getting frustrated and Lee was already out of there. He needs to retire now unless he completely overhauls himself and gets a psych coach.

I missed the anthem (at least I think I did - I might have been making tea - I remember Andy coming to the ring in total silence and then the big show for Chavez).

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Magic man, what I meant was that (if you remember) he lost it in the 6th when he bought into Chavez's games - when the mexican started goading him etc. Andy had the fight in hand, he just had to follow orders. You could hear Steward getting frustrated and Lee was already out of there. He needs to retire now unless he completely overhauls himself and gets a psych coach.

I missed the anthem (at least I think I did - I might have been making tea - I remember Andy coming to the ring in total silence and then the big show for Chavez).
    Ah, sorry.... Just misread your post. The anthems were played before the last undercard fight. Well worth a look/. I started out laughing but it was just plain disrespectful by the end!

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast