Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Setanta Cup 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    How do some people not get this? IF you don't like the Setanta Cup don't go to games, It's simple. Why moaning about it and hoping it will be scratched??
    Here on a technicality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyriver View Post
    This competition is tragic at the moment. If sides up the North were better, fair enough, but it just ends up same LOI teams playing each other again.

Even when we won it last v Monaghan, I was sorely tempted not even to bother, because there was a key league game with Shams, if I recall, on a Tuesday.

Why not freshen up format -- eg a First Division team thrown into the mix?

Maybe a more attractive proposition is to get into a Cup situation with some of the Scottish clubs. This would also give LOI a real benchmark as to progress?
    ...so you think adding a first Division team will improve the standard ? Apart from Celtic/Rangers Scottish teams would notbe any great draw fan wise (although would improve the standard) think the idea of Scottish involvement was mooted before but withered on the vine. Judging by SFA/FAI spat it may be related to cost

Chance for those that want to visit new venues (mainly Irish League grounds) and for those not interested to stay away. Took Bohs a few years to get into it and personally like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Even Setanta don't show half the games anymore. The winner has to play at least 5, possibly 7 extra games against either rubbish British opposition, or another 2 games a year against a LOI side. The prize money is much less than it used to be. It's nice to win it but from a fans perspective, it's too expensive, too much extra midweek travel, and basically just a waste of time. Imo of course.
    Wouldn't have thought the travel would be an obstacle for you.

4. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    ...so you think adding a first Division team will improve the standard ?

No. I was thinking that those first division with a fan base might be interested in attending a game against Premiership. Actually, a wildcard for regional winners of FAI Junior Clubs, might produce a David/Goliath etc.

Apart from Celtic/Rangers Scottish teams would notbe any great draw fan wise (although would improve the standard) think the idea of Scottish involvement was mooted before but withered on the vine. Judging by SFA/FAI spat it may be related to cost

Chance for those that want to visit new venues (mainly Irish League grounds)...
    Aside to the Old Firm, I do think a game against Hibs, Hearts and maybe even St Johnstone would generate interest.

Just a suggestion, but to take this seriously, why not forego a League qualifying place and give a Europa place to winner which would mean teams would take it seriously?
    Last edited by A face; 21/12/2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts

Just a suggestion, but to take this seriously, why not forego a League qualifying place and give a Europa place to winner which would mean teams would take it seriously?

Stab in the dark here, but I'm assuming it's because they can't.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,352 Posts
    Aside to the Old Firm, I do think a game against Hibs, Hearts and maybe even St Johnstone would generate interest.
    Not among Hibs, Hearts or even St Johnstone, it wouldn't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not among Hibs, Hearts or even St Johnstone, it wouldn't.
    .....recent visits to LOI grounds by such teams has hardly seen the "Sold out" signs in use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    400 Posts
    Prize money is nothing to be sneezed at

http://www.fai.ie/domestic-a-grassro...draw-date.html

SETANTA SPORTS CUP COMMITTEE AGREES DRAW DATE FOR 2012
    The Setanta Sports Cup committee has confirmed that it will hold the first round draw for the Setanta Sports Cup at Aviva Stadium on January 25 at 2.30pm.
    The competition has been running since 2005 and round one in 2012 will kick off on February 13. Twelve clubs, six from the Airtricity League and six from the Carling Premiership will take part. The first round draw will involve the eight unseeded clubs which will be drawn into four home and away pairings that will see Carling Premiership sides take on Airtricity League sides on February 13 and February 20.
    The unseeded clubs in this year's competition are:
    Cliftonville, Derry City, Glentoran, St Patrick's Athletic, Lisburn Distillery, Bohemian FC, Portadown and Bray Wanderers
    The four winners to emerge from the first round will join the four seeded clubs, last year's winners, Shamrock Rovers as well as Linfield, Sligo Rovers and Crusaders in the quarter final draw.
    The prize fund will remain the same as last year with €50,000 for the winners, €30,000 for the runners up, €15,000 for each of the defeated semi-finalists, €10,000 for each of the defeated quarter finalists and €7,500 for clubs defeated in round one. A workshop for all participating clubs will take place in the Canal Court in Newry on February 1, 2012. Additional performance bonuses will be paid for winning (€2,000) or drawing (€1,000) a match during the competition with the exception of the final.
    Milo Corcoran, Chairman of the Setanta Sports Cup Organising Committee said,
    "I thank Setanta Sports for their ongoing commitment to the competition and everyone from the FAI and IFA who gives it support. With standards continuing to increase on both sides of the border, the 2012 Setanta Sports Cup is sure to be a big draw with numerous exciting potential ties."

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Surely it's getting to the stage where some clubs might be better off sacrificing early season league form to go all-out for this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    They're some serious prizes for an Irish competition.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 28/12/2011 at 4:26 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Surely it's getting to the stage where some clubs might be better off sacrificing early season league form to go all-out for this?
    Dundalk took a serious approach last season - the run to the final was a good return, but 7th in the league left a feeling of underachievement

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    They're some serious prizes for am Irish competition.
    It shows how times have changed that some regard it as serious money, when you compare the cash available to a few years back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    True Ezeikial but it is what it is. Look at the derisory cash for the League Cup. This is well worth winning.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    True Ezeikial but it is what it is. Look at the derisory cash for the League Cup. This is well worth winning.
    Absolutley. People who say "crap cup or not worth it" are dellusional. Money is money and every club needs it.

The Setanta was a fantastic experience. I will never forget Windsor Park.
    Last edited by Dunny; 28/12/2011 at 6:12 PM.
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    No one ever does. They never let you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    This competition is tragic at the moment. If sides up the North were better, fair enough, but it just ends up same LOI teams playing each other again.

Even when we won it last v Monaghan, I was sorely tempted not even to bother, because there was a key league game with Shams, if I recall, on a Tuesday.

Why not freshen up format -- eg a First Division team thrown into the mix?

Maybe a more attractive proposition is to get into a Cup situation with some of the Scottish clubs. This would also give LOI a real benchmark as to progress?
    Jesus H get your facts straight. We never won it. We won the League (EA Sports) Cup in 2010 beating Monaghan in the final. I think some fans showing a condescending attitude towards the competition is unfair. Decent prize money and an 'all Ireland' trophy. I realise that the standard shown by IL sides has been disappointing, but talk of having Scottich sides come in - get a grip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    We always took it seriously and were gutted to lose in the final in 2006, the semi in 2007 and winning it in 2008 was a fantastic night for our club - I was gutted we never got the opportunity to play Cliftonville in Belfast

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    For me the annoying thing was entering it 5 times in a row and never being in the same group as Linfield. Got a trip up there alright but never played them at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Dundalk defintely embraced it last season, without doubt it was the highlight of our season. The trip to Windsor, 15 coach loads of fans heading up and playing them off the park was just superb. Loved the home games also v Linfield and Glentoran, drew 1-1 with each, but great games. I suppose for us the travel wasn't that big of a deal, same distance to Dublin really (for the 'neutral' venue final in Tallaght, but still another enjoyable day out)

But........and there is always one, word of warning for any club banking on the money to paid up anytime soon. We still hadn't got a cent by Sept this year (owed 30k min) and it took a live league game v Rovers at home (on Setanta Sports TV) for Setanta PLC to finally cough up, or at least agree to cough up.

For 2012, I would hope they change the match nights around a little, Mon nights were poor overall, fine for us at home to Linfield/Glens, always going to be a big crowd, but overall I would say a Wed night would be more suitable.
    Last edited by oriel; 29/12/2011 at 7:31 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    For 2012, I would hope they change the match nights around a little, Mon nights were poor overall, fine for us at home to Linfield/Glens, always going to be a big crowd, but overall I would say a Wed night would be more suitable.
    I think the Champions League starts up again around that time of year so Wednesday nights wouldn't be great
    Here on a technicality.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    I think the Champions League starts up again around that time of year so Wednesday nights wouldn't be great
    Apart from that there would be an almighty negative reaction to clubs playing Wednesday in the Setanta and Friday in the League. Unless the brave decision was made to upgrade the Setanta competition in some way, Monday and Tuesday nights are the only options for fitting matches around the league fixtures north and south.

25. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast