Page 167 of 171 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169 ... LastLast
Results 3,321 to 3,340 of 3401

Thread: James McClean

  1. #3321
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    108
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    BBC didn't mention the Bobby Sands quote, but did mention the 'uneducated cavemen' bit.

    I don't see anything in that worth investigating, but don't think it's smart or necessary to be playing a 'discrimination against Irish Catholics' card either.
    His mentioning of his religion is total ignorance. Im an atheist and my wife is a prod. We are just as Irish as him.

  2. #3322
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,630
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,966
    Thanked in
    3,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    His mentioning of his religion is total ignorance. Im an atheist and my wife is a prod. We are just as Irish as him.
    He was hardly suggesting otherwise. It's pretty obvious the majority religion of his community is one of the reasons for the abuse he gets, and arguably why the FA turns a blind eye to it.

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #3323
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    432
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    11
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    108
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He was hardly suggesting otherwise. It's pretty obvious the majority religion of his community is one of the reasons for the abuse he gets, and arguably why the FA turns a blind eye to it.
    No fair enough. I regretted my post within a minute of posting it. But james needs to watch the content of his social media activity

  5. #3324
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    280
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    990
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    His mentioning of his religion is total ignorance. Im an atheist and my wife is a prod. We are just as Irish as him.
    It's not 'total ignorance', it's just relative to where he's from.

    edit - Just saw Charlie's post.
    Last edited by The Fly; 05/11/2018 at 9:39 PM.

  6. #3325
    Seasoned Pro joe_denilson's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,230
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    251
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,095
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    He's escaped with a warning. It seems the issue was the use of the c word which he subsequently obfuscated. There found no issue with the cavemen comment or quoting MP Bobby Sands obviously.

  7. #3326
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    1,760
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    662
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    410
    Thanked in
    279 Posts
    He is bang on. Fair play to him for standing strong. Why should he keep his head down among the abuse he gets constantly? The uneducated ‘no surrender to the IRA’ cavemen brigade should be called out for what they are.

  8. #3327
    International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    9,629
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,461
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,771
    Thanked in
    1,759 Posts
    Yeah, I'm not always fully on McClean's side but I'm really rooting for him here.

    So, the F.A. have dealt with his initial rant. Will they have anything to say about his comments relating to their investigation? That would be far more interesting but I suspect they won't want to go near it.

  9. #3328
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,097
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,352
    Thanked in
    1,776 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    No fair enough. I regretted my post within a minute of posting it. But james needs to watch the content of his social media activity
    Someone needs to tell him this!

  10. #3329
    International Prospect mypost's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2004
    Location
    foot.ie Night Shift
    Posts
    5,006
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    228
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82
    He is bang on. Fair play to him for standing strong. Why should he keep his head down among the abuse he gets constantly? The uneducated ‘no surrender to the IRA’ cavemen brigade should be called out for what they are.
    You would think that the Brits had a monopoly on fallen soldiers.

    No other country in the world does this. 3 long weeks every autumn when the UK goes all poppy, and insist that everyone complies. Foreign players should not be obliged to wear them, if they choose not to. It's not their culture, I'm sure many don't like it. Although McClean would be better off keeping his mouth shut about it every year. It's common knowledge by now why he refuses, he doesn't have to explain himself every year.

  11. #3330
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,441
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    765
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    We should all be wearing poppies out of respect for the fallen also, after our antics when we mercilessly murdered British soliders during our War of Independence. Lest we forget.

  12. #3331
    International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Limerick for now.
    Posts
    7,128
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,085
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,464
    Thanked in
    801 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    We should all be wearing poppies out of respect for the fallen also, after our antics when we mercilessly murdered British soliders during our War of Independence. Lest we forget.
    What? Should we? Or is that sarcasm?

    I don't feel any inclination to do so anyway. And if James doesn't, that should be up to him. The storm over wearing one or not is ridiculous.

    All that said, there's still nothing smart or principled about wading into an online argument calling people cavemen and c**ts. It can only ever end badly for him, and he must know this.

  13. #3332
    First Team
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,441
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    765
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    What? Should we? Or is that sarcasm?

    I don't feel any inclination to do so anyway. And if James doesn't, that should be up to him. The storm over wearing one or not is ridiculous.

    All that said, there's still nothing smart or principled about wading into an online argument calling people cavemen and c**ts. It can only ever end badly for him, and he must know this.
    I couldn't be more sarcastic.

  14. Thanks From:


  15. #3333
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    151
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He was hardly suggesting otherwise. It's pretty obvious the majority religion of his community is one of the reasons for the abuse he gets, and arguably why the FA turns a blind eye to it.
    "the majority religion of his community is one of the reasons for the abuse he gets."
    So let me get this straight. James McClean has played for a few English clubs at this stage of his career. They thought nothing about his religion when they signed him in each case. Neither did it matter one iota to the fans at any of those clubs where James goes to pray on a Sunday. But it obviously does matter to those fans that James disrespects their military veterans by not observing the poppy ceremony. I love James's commitment to Ireland, and wish more were like him, but in all honesty James should have walked away from English football (to the continent I would suggest) when this became an issue a couple of years ago. His behavior is disrespectful to the people who pay his wages, and that is never a good situation to be in.

  16. #3334
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    151
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You would think that the Brits had a monopoly on fallen soldiers.

    No other country in the world does this. 3 long weeks every autumn when the UK goes all poppy, and insist that everyone complies. Foreign players should not be obliged to wear them, if they choose not to. It's not their culture, I'm sure many don't like it. Although McClean would be better off keeping his mouth shut about it every year. It's common knowledge by now why he refuses, he doesn't have to explain himself every year.
    Foreign players should respect the wishes of the fans that pay their wages. Really if they had the courage of their convictions (assuming this is so distasteful to them) they should never be playing in Britain in the first place. There are plenty of other places to go to play your football.

  17. #3335
    First Team
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    56
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    216
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Yeah the Muslims shouldn't wear their clothes burqua etc in England. There are plenty of other countries where they could do that and fit in.
    Just like mcclean they shouldn't go to england

  18. #3336
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,091
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    280
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    990
    Thanked in
    526 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    You would think that the Brits had a monopoly on fallen soldiers.

    No other country in the world does this. 3 long weeks every autumn when the UK goes all poppy, and insist that everyone complies. Foreign players should not be obliged to wear them, if they choose not to. It's not their culture, I'm sure many don't like it. Although McClean would be better off keeping his mouth shut about it every year. It's common knowledge by now why he refuses, he doesn't have to explain himself every year.
    My own theory on it is that the growth in everything surrounding Remembrance Day is related to the incremental decline of the British polity and identity. It has become, to some degree, a kind of national British day.

  19. #3337
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,570
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,630
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,966
    Thanked in
    3,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    "the majority religion of his community is one of the reasons for the abuse he gets."
    So let me get this straight. James McClean has played for a few English clubs at this stage of his career. They thought nothing about his religion when they signed him in each case. Neither did it matter one iota to the fans at any of those clubs where James goes to pray on a Sunday. But it obviously does matter to those fans that James disrespects their military veterans by not observing the poppy ceremony. I love James's commitment to Ireland, and wish more were like him, but in all honesty James should have walked away from English football (to the continent I would suggest) when this became an issue a couple of years ago. His behavior is disrespectful to the people who pay his wages, and that is never a good situation to be in.
    That's a non sequitur. Just because people apparently didn't have a problem with McClean's religion before doesn't mean it doesn't inform their behaviour towards him now.

  20. #3338
    International Prospect mypost's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2004
    Location
    foot.ie Night Shift
    Posts
    5,006
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    228
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345
    Foreign players should respect the wishes of the fans that pay their wages. Really if they had the courage of their convictions (assuming this is so distasteful to them) they should never be playing in Britain in the first place. There are plenty of other places to go to play your football.
    Such as? We are talking about Irish footballers here. Where else do they go if they want to make it? They can't go abroad as they can't/won't fit in, so have to go back to England asap.

    This annual charade has nothing to do with religion. It's all about politics. Sport and politics should never mix, because eventually someone rebels when they're told what to do and how to behave.

  21. #3339
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    151
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Such as? We are talking about Irish footballers here. Where else do they go if they want to make it? They can't go abroad as they can't/won't fit in, so have to go back to England asap.

    This annual charade has nothing to do with religion. It's all about politics. Sport and politics should never mix, because eventually someone rebels when they're told what to do and how to behave.
    They can't go abroad as they can't / won't fit in? Why not? Where and why will they not fit in, wherever that may be?
    They could do exactly what the Swedes, Danes, Norwegians do when heading to Holland, Belgium, German football etc.
    So why is it that the Irish lads cannot fit in in any other country other than England?

    And you're right, this has nothing to do with religion, and wrong when you say it is all about politics? It's not that complicated. It's all about the reverence the English fan feels for his forefathers who fought to save their country in two world wars. It was born and bred into them as kids and they hate to see anyone acting in a disrespectful manner towards that 'reverence'. There were other occupations of countries along the way, which obviously James saw first hand in his childhood. Again I say, James should have walked away from English football (to a different country) when this became an issue a couple of years ago.

  22. #3340
    International Prospect mypost's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2004
    Location
    foot.ie Night Shift
    Posts
    5,006
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    228
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345
    They can't go abroad as they can't / won't fit in? Why not? Where and why will they not fit in, wherever that may be?
    They could do exactly what the Swedes, Danes, Norwegians do when heading to Holland, Belgium, German football etc.
    So why is it that the Irish lads cannot fit in in any other country other than England?

    And you're right, this has nothing to do with religion, and wrong when you say it is all about politics? It's all about the reverence the English fan feels for his forefathers who fought to save their country in two world wars. It was born and bred into them and they hate to see anyone acting in a disrespectful manner towards that 'reverence'. There were other occupations of countries along the way, which obviously James saw first hand. Again I say, James should have walked away from English football (to a different country) when this became an issue a couple of years ago.
    I think the reasons why they don't fit in to a foreign culture are obvious. The other nationalities you mention are far more open to other cultures, their international careers are largely unaffected, and in some cases enhanced. Here, you basically have to play in England or for Celtic, otherwise you're out of sight and out of mind, as far as the national team is concerned.

    The poppy is a political symbol. This is British culture, and if they believe that wearing that for 3 long weeks is commemorating something they had nothing to do with, honouring people they don't know and never met, that's their right. They should also respect that if you don't believe in someone else's political cause, you should not be forced to honour it.

    Wearing the poppy used to be one day a year. Then it was a weekend, a whole week, and now it's an annual propaganda marathon for the British Army. The wearing of the poppy is a political symbol. McClean, as with other foreign players, should not be forced to honour the British Army, regardless who pays them.

  23. Thanks From:


Similar Threads

  1. RTE: James McClean spurred on by taunts
    By Foot.ie in forum Football Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/02/2016, 6:00 PM
  2. James McClean
    By TheOneWhoKnocks in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23/06/2015, 11:02 AM
  3. James McClean
    By Not Brazil in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13/05/2012, 9:51 PM
  4. James McClean
    By SkStu in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13/05/2012, 9:01 PM
  5. James McClean
    By TrapAPony in forum Rubbish
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 09/08/2011, 7:26 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •