Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    http://www.adthe.us/streams/CreepyTV4.html

Lovely goal there, shades of Roberto Carlos against France.
    Just seen the goal in download quality, that was a real cracker, couldn't really see much on the crap stream I had.
    I expect that will clocking up some views on youtube!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Smashing finish, delighted for the lad. O'Neill's confidence in him is being repaid. What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos...-sunderland-4/

Sammon unfortunate not to be awarded Wigan's goal as it looked like he took a bit of a swing at it rather than Rodallega's shot simply having deflected off him unwittingly. Difficult to know for sure...

4. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    And Aiden "McGeedy" or "McGaydy" like Liam Brady says?
    Neither, it's McGeddy.

How is McGeady pronounced in Donegal?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Last 5 minutes of the Kazakh away game will be his test.
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 04/01/2012 at 9:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    The amount of pats on the back he got last night coming off the field. Hope he didn't pick up an injury.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Smashing finish, delighted for the lad. O'Neill's confidence in him is being repaid. What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.
    Justifiable because he's started 2 games? "lol"

It would be downright pointless given the number of wingers we have ahead of them. Coleman is the next in line to be given his chance anyways. He'll probably play Hunt/Coleman or Hunt/Fahey in the next friendly game. Those are the guys behind Duff/McGeady and those are the guys who need the gametime to stake their claim. Trap will justifiably ignore flavour of the month players.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    There's no need to go clamouring for a McClean callup, I'd let him know that the management have an eye on him, but that he won't be considered for Euro 2012, take some pressure off him.
    He has plenty of time in his career to become a full international.

Missed it at the time but Harry Redknapp picked him out as one to watch in 2012
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...w-in-2012.html
    James McClean, Sunderland

CAT TO THE FUTURE ... McClean can make the grade

THE first I knew of McClean was when he came on as a sub during Martin O'Neill's first game in charge of Sunderland.

He's a good, old-fashioned left winger who gets the crowd excited as soon as he gets the ball and whips in just the sort of crosses a striker like Nicklas Bendtner needs.
    Steve Bruce took a punt on McClean in the summer and paid £350,000 to sign him from Derry City when other Premier League clubs hesitated.
    At 22, he's not exactly a kid. But he will really benefit if John Robertson — one of the finest wingers of all time — follows his old pal O'Neill to Sunderland to become one of his coaches.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Wildcard pick for 2012 squad? If he keeps on impressing then you never know.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    It would be downright pointless given the number of wingers we have ahead of them. Coleman is the next in line to be given his chance anyways. He'll probably play Hunt/Coleman or Hunt/Fahey in the next friendly game. Those are the guys behind Duff/McGeady and those are the guys who need the gametime to stake their claim. Trap will justifiably ignore flavour of the month players.
    For once, I agree with you. We have two friendlies to get things fine-tuned for the tournament, it's not like Trap has a great number of opportunities to try out new players, formations or tactics. We're certainly not stuck for wingers, in any case.

McClean looks useful - decent control, enthusiasm and pace - but his crossing was poor against Man City, with balls often failing to beat the first man, so that's one thing he needs to work on. Reminds me slightly of Hunt when he first came on the scene, but perhaps with more potential for improvement. He's certainly not the finished product, but hopefully he'll continue to develop and push for a squad place in the autumn.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Crosses not clearing the first man is an endemic feature in the epl and experienced players are also plagued by this.
    Last night's Mnn City v Liverpool was one of many such examples where the ball, repeatedly, did not beat the first man.
    I don't think it should even be used to highlight a weakness in a young player.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    McClean looks useful - decent control, enthusiasm and pace - but his crossing was poor against Man City, with balls often failing to beat the first man, so that's one thing he needs to work on. Reminds me slightly of Hunt when he first came on the scene, but perhaps with more potential for improvement. He's certainly not the finished product, but hopefully he'll continue to develop and push for a squad place in the autumn.
    He's a very, very good crosser. That part of his game will come good. If he maintains fitness then he's a winner - and considering Sunderland sources consider him the fittest player on their books, despite playing regular football since February, then it hopefully won't be a problem.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't think it should even be used to highlight a weakness in a young player.
    McClean is only a year younger than Keith Treacy, who, in my opinion, is a more technically assured player. But as I said, the more games at a high level, the more McClean can improve and show his ability, and he definitely seems to have the right attitude.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The best part is that McClean has done enough to put himself into contention to be played and let's see what he makes of the opportunities that will come.

I would have preferred a slow burn improvement with Sunderland's performance and not MON's hyped up messiah like qualities, delivered with (duo expresso) panache, burning his inauguration trail with sudden victory after victory.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Goals here: http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos...-sunderland-4/

Sammon unfortunate not to be awarded Wigan's goal as it looked like he took a bit of a swing at it rather than Rodallega's shot simply having deflected off him unwittingly. Difficult to know for sure...
    Sammo's reaction indicates he thinks he scored I think. Though I haven't seen a good angle (behind the goal preferably) to see for sure how much he knew about it and how much of a deflection it took. For an own goal, the shot has to change from going wide/into the keeper's hands to going into the net. That's presumably the criterion here as well. So if Rodallega's shot was going in anyway, it's probably his goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    What are the chances of McClean and Pilkington on the flanks for the next friendly? Quite unlikely, given Trap's conservative approach to friendlies, but fairly justifiable on the basis of form.
    has pilkington actually declared for us? thought i heard recently he wasnt interested

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    What if Michael O'Neill persuades him to stay in the NI set-up/ It's possible, a new manager and all. Trap needs to strike while the irons hot with this lad. He looks that good!!

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    True. I suspect that all McClean needs to do is change association (rather than actually play), which will tie him to us as he has already played for NI. The FAI could take the initiative in this regard.

The quotes from McClean were almost Robbie-esque "it's always been my dream to play for the ROI". He acknowledged that he may have to wait for any opportunity, but it'd appear that he may take some persuasion by Michael O'Neill.

It's great to have another player staking a claim but realistically he ain't gonna threaten Duff or Hunt in the next year or so. He may overtake Treacy and Fahey (as a LM option). McGeady is always an option for the left too, in case Coleman makes a strong claim to RHM.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 04/01/2012 at 4:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    True. I suspect that all McClean needs to do is change association (rather than actually play), which will tie him to us as he has already played for NI. The FAI could take the initiative in this regard.

The quotes from McClean were almost Robbie-esque "it's always been my dream to play for the ROI".

It's great to have another player staking a claim but realistically he ain't gonna threaten Duff or Hunt in the next year or so. He may overtake Treacy and Fahey (as a LM option). McGeady is always an option for the left too, in case Coleman makes a strong claim to RHM.
    McClean would have to play for us to be tied. Merely registering with the FAI would not be enough to effect his change of association, as the case of Bobby Zamora registering with Trinidad & Tobago from the English FA after playing at under-21 level for England and then back to the FA again - going on to win two English caps - without having played a game for Trinidad & Tobago demonstrates.

I wouldn't be overly worried anyway. McClean has his heart set on representing his country.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/mc...r-2961781.html

It's only a few months since McClean, a former U21 cap with the North, made up his mind to end his Northern Ireland career and throw in his lot with the Republic -- and he's sure he made the right call.

"I made my decision before the Republic team qualified for the Euros so that wasn't a factor for me. Playing for the Republic was something I wanted to do," says McClean, who was named in the North's senior squad for a game against the Faroe Islands as he made his final call.

"It wasn't a hard decision to make and no one put pressure on me, I grew up supporting the Republic and always saw myself as Irish. It was easy enough in the end."
    I think the comparison to Robbie's habitual spiel during post-transfer press conferences is slightly unfair on a lad who is Irish and obviously has grown up supporting Ireland.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    ah feck off Danny, don't take everything so earnestly!

Point taken on the change of registration. Had Zamora represented England at any level? I presume yes.

26. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 180 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast