Page 165 of 182 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 3,281 to 3,300 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Kimmage said: "Nobody, other than James' parents, that James McClean is the Sportstar of the Year."

That's evidently untrue, considering the general public voted for James, although I didn't hear Kimmage's tone so he may well have been exaggerating for effect.
    I think he means McClean got the votes because he's popular, rather than deserving. Kimmage is spot on in what he says I think, and is actually very complimentary towards McClean in a more general sense, he's just as mystified as many others that McClean actually won.

McClean's response is harmless, but predictably childish and actually counter productive if he really doesn't care what's being said about his achievement (as he claims). He has some great qualities but the guy is 28 going on 13.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 20/12/2017 at 8:26 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Err yeah...ju-jitsu, boxing, kung fu, karate, wrestling, judo, capoeira. The list goes on.

Did what you describe happen in either of those two championship fights btw? Nope.
    None of that does ever be on display, come on, stop telling porkies.

As for the latest tweet
    .Calling Kimmage "some journalist" wasn't classy, I guess James is still hurting.
    The general public voted for our current government, so I would mind that.

Anyway it could be worse, least we didnt give it to a doper like the British one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think he means McClean got the votes because he's popular, rather than deserving. Kimmage is spot on in what he says I think, and is actually very complimentary towards McClean in a more general sense, he's just as mystified as many others that McClean actually won.

McClean's response is harmless, but predictably childish and actually counter productive if he really doesn't care what's being said about his achievement (as he claims). He has some great qualities but the guy is 28 going on 13.
    If Kimmage is of the opinion that the awarding process should not be subject to a public vote and that a select panel of sporting experts should decide the most deserving candidate because a public vote effectively renders the whole thing a popularity contest, that's fair enough and I can see his point. However, he could easily have left his analysis at that - at the level of procedural critique - without getting needlessly personal by bringing James' family into it in order to downplay the admiration the wider public have for James' endeavours. Instead, Kimmage added a hyperbolic jibe about James' parents being the only people who believed James was worthy of the award when this was demonstrably false, given the highest number of the general public who voted evidently felt James was deserving. That may have riled James a bit.

Still, on the whole and to be fair, Kimmage was complimentary (and I only read his words, so didn't actually hear his tone, which could well have been light and jocular for all I know, particularly as it will have been obvious to anyone aware of the award that more than just James' parents felt James was deserving), so, yeah, no need for James to react by being so defensive and mocking of Kimmage, who is a highly-regarded and well-respected journalist. The best way for James to have shown his lack of concern for Kimmage's opinion would have been to ignore the criticism or to thank Kimmage for his opinion but say he respectfully disagreed.

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I'm not an MMA expert, nor am I an expert in any of the numerous core disciplines that make up MMA, but here's a random Bellator fight from YouTube:

It lasts four minutes, but I (someone with very basic knowledge and awareness in the field) can clearly spot the use of skills and tactics common to boxing, kickboxing, karate, judo and wrestling throughout the fight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    If Kimmage is of the opinion that the awarding process should not be subject to a public vote and that a select panel of sporting experts should decide the most deserving candidate because a public vote effectively renders the whole thing a popularity contest, that's fair enough and I can see his point. However, he could easily have left his analysis at that - at the level of procedural critique - without getting needlessly personal by bringing James' family into it in order to downplay the admiration the wider public have for James' endeavours. Instead, Kimmage added a hyperbolic jibe about James' parents being the only people who believed James was worthy of the award when this was demonstrably false, given the highest number of the general public who voted evidently felt James was deserving. That may have riled James a bit.

Still, on the whole and to be fair, Kimmage was complimentary (and I only read his words, so didn't actually hear his tone, which could well have been light and jocular for all I know, particularly as it will have been obvious to anyone aware of the award that more than just James' parents felt James was deserving), so, yeah, no need for James to react by being so defensive and mocking of Kimmage, who is a highly-regarded and well-respected journalist. The best way for James to have shown his lack of concern for Kimmage's opinion would have been to ignore the criticism or to thank Kimmage for his opinion but say he respectfully disagreed.
    The bit about James' parents was obviously tongue-in-cheek, I don't think we need to hear Kimmage's tone to assume that much. I think it's a serious overreaction to call it "needlessly personal", it was more a dig at the madness of the whole awards process than at McClean himself. There's obviously a big divide though between people who were literally shaking their head in disbelief that McClean was even in the running for this award (me included) and those who think he's a worthy winner, or at least contender. Kimmage is clearly in the former bracket.

I can't see how you think the comment was aimed to "downplay the admiration the wider public have for James' endeavours", he did anything but.

Everybody likes him. I love his commitment to the team. I love the way he plays for Ireland.

It is great that you acknowledge his contribution but by no means is he the Sportstar of the Year.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/12/2017 at 2:49 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

I'm not an MMA expert, nor am I an expert in any of the numerous core disciplines that make up MMA, but here's a random Bellator fight from YouTube:

It lasts four minutes, but I (someone with very basic knowledge and awareness in the field) can clearly spot the use of skills and tactics common to boxing, kickboxing, karate, judo and wrestling throughout the fight.
    Bit like this so
    https://youtu.be/R52ieopsvyk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Just without the choreography, and the predetermined victor, and the pseudonyms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Just without the choreography, and the predetermined victor, and the pseudonyms.

Ha you got to be kidding me. Lol, will ya stop
    Point to someone more of a clown in WWF than 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor in MMA? And some of those fights look well set up. Please.
    Not to mention that many WWF stars have crossed over into MMA.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    McGregor stole his act from Ric Flair.
    There's been two WWE guys who've moved to MMA. Lesnar already had a background in amateur wrestling, and CM Punk (AKA Phil Brooks) got hammered in his only fight to date.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It was sportsperson of the year, not sports personality.

According to Wikipedia...

And RTÉ's own website...
    Sport person is better, they have sports personality in the UK but most of them don't have one, James does of course.
    But there are a lot of sports folk do not have a lot in that respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    They don't have pantomime in the USA so wrestling fills the void.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Ha you got to be kidding me. Lol, will ya stop
    Point to someone more of a clown in WWF than 'The Notorious' Conor McGregor in MMA? And some of those fights look well set up. Please.
    Not to mention that many WWF stars have crossed over into MMA.....
    WWE's Kurt Angle was a gold-medal winner in amateur wrestling at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Just because he later joined the WWF/WWE (which he originally thought was "beneath" him) and became a professional wrestler doesn't take away from his genuine amateur or Olympic wrestling abilities. Plenty of WWE stars have genuine athletic abilities - they just combine them with theatrical performance in the WWE to make pre-determined and co-operative performance art that mimics sport - so it's no surprise some of them may be attracted to MMA, an actual competitive sport.

Boxing is another sport where shameless self-promotion and trash-talk is rampant; it doesn't take away from the genuine athletic abilities of those who participate in the sport or from the fact that it is a sport. Muhammad Ali was a perfect example of a great boxer - the greatest, perhaps - who also put on a performance outside the ring. That didn't lessen in any way boxing's status as a sport; it was irrelevant to that.

Which MMA fights look set up and why do you say that? What are the clues to look out for?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

As for the latest tweet
    .Calling Kimmage "some journalist" wasn't classy, I guess James is still hurting.
    The general public voted for our current government, so I would mind that.

Anyway it could be worse, least we didnt give it to a doper like the British one.
    Team award - Cian O'Connor
    Who could forget Waterford Crystal and the saga of the stolen drug test sample (perhaps not stolen but “illegally taken” )

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    James McClean opens the scoring for WBA away to West Ham. It's been a good night so far for two of our players that could surely do with a goal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Looked like a good Clean shot to me.

The Irish can't stop scoring atm.

It's like it's Christmas already.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Sadly McClean's house was burgled while he was on the the away trip at West Ham.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Sadly McClean's house was burgled while he was on the the away trip at West Ham.
    I'll just fire up the old twitter so and see all the doubtless contrite messages of support he's getting from the public.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'll just fire up the old twitter so and see all the doubtless contrite messages of support he's getting from the public.
    I don't use these modern internet acronyms much, but seriously, LOL, ROFL, LMAO

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    I think James has started all league games since Darren Moore took over doomed WBA. McClean took the opportunity to have a pop off Pardew also saying that it makes a difference that the players know what they're doing under Moore. Great to see him getting regular games and that Moore appreciated what he brings to the table.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/44380823

Cardiff back in for Cunningham (great) but McClean a bit dear for them (fine once he gets another PL side in for him). McClean was rumoured to have been subject to a rejected £4m bid from Stoke too.