Page 157 of 182 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,140 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    So many like the McCleans want to jump on back of Dundalk's success and use Dundalk (powerful ammo) in order to put one over on a rival.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm with Os on this one, he comes across like an idiot with this kind of stuff, a macho idiot at that, which is the worst kind. He's obviously a decent guy as well so I think it's disappointing that he can't grow up a bit, as he claims he has. But yeah, it is fairly harmless in the greater scheme of things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I just came across this article from December on 'These Football Times' about McClean (via a link from a very good piece on the same site about Paddy McCourt published a few days ago): http://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/12...l-conventions/

It's a decent read, so I thought it worth a post.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gallagher

But controversy will always follow McClean wherever he goes because of who he is and where he comes from, all the while looming a shadow over what has in the last 12 months been a blooming and rejuvenated playing career, at the very least in the green jersey of Martin O’Neill’s international side.

McClean has become an integral member of O’Neill’s starting line-up, scoring three times in Ireland’s six World Cup qualifiers this year, including what could prove to be a decisive 1-0 victory away to Austria, on top of stamina-fuelled performances of grit and determination at Euro 2016 against Italy and France having been benched for O’Neill’s opening two group games.

Indeed it was O’Neill, a Derry man, who gave McClean his Premier League debut at Sunderland, and O’Neill’s possible future successor in Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny who plotted his rise from vicarious and bony Derry City winger to Premier League regular, from 2008 to 2011 in the League of Ireland. “I’ve always said how much I hold Stephen in a high regard,” said McClean. “At the end of the day he’s the guy who gave me my break in football. I was a skinny, raw 18-year-old when he gave me my debut. He showed that he had that faith and that trust in me. I’ve always felt that I needed to repay that faith and I think I have. In football terms, he is like a father-figure. Some players need to be verbally abused to get fired-up but Stephen’s man-management is the one thing about him.”

McClean’s playing career began with an unnerving sense of expectation alongside promise when he was included in Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad for Euro 2012, the Italian bringing the young player on for his tournament debut when 3-0 down to champions Spain in the 76th minute in a desperate response to public pleas to utilise the winger’s evident talent, the 22-year-old having gone unused versus Croatia in their opening-day defeat in an aging squad in desperate need of fresh legs, new ideas and young tenacity.

Later making his disapproval of Trapattoni’s decision public, McClean has since been one of the foremost rising stars of O’Neill’s new-look Irish setup who have now risen to 23rd in the FIFA world rankings alongside an extremely strong chance of qualifying for a first World Cup since 2002, sitting atop Group D with 10 points from a possible 12 after four games.

It appears now, at last, heading towards the latter stages of his 20s, that the roughness of youth and political upheaval that moulded what we defined James McClean to be is now being replaced by a more measured, astute and capable football player who could, having represented Northern Ireland at underage level, be the first man from Derry to represent the Republic at a World Cup.

Once a promising 22-year-old starlet, his political viewpoints against English football’s established conventions means his legacy will not be forged on the field of play as he nears closer to reaching his 30s.

While the expectation pinned to his future promise following an explosive start at Derry and Sunderland may have petered low in recent seasons, a rejuvenation in the green jersey throughout 2016 means McClean’s legacy to Irish football could be representing a respected, football-playing Martin O’Neill side at two major tournaments as well as an unprecedented duty towards his community of Creggan and maintaining the beliefs and dignity of his people.

Forever bringing us back to a lingering memory of that skinny, brash 18-year-old piling down wings in the empty vastness of the Brandywell in Derry City, the engravement on McLean’s gravestone after he has passed won’t read his Premier League appearances or goal tally, but rather those words which he wrote to Dave Whelan two years ago: “In life, if you’re a man you should stand up for what you believe in.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's crazy that he hasn't started a league game in over three months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    West Brom's assistant manager Dave Kemp explained the other week why he hasn't started in so long: https://www.balls.ie/football/james-mcclean-6-358762

James was suspended for West Brom's game against Leicester in the first week of last November after having picked up his fifth booking of the season during West Brom's game against Manchester City the previous week. Unfortunately, he hasn't managed to regain his starting place since with Nacer Chadli and particularly Matt Phillips doing very well instead in similar attacking positions/roles for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kemp
    You miss a game and the team plays well, someone takes your position, that's football. It's a good thing.

If you were losing every week you'd be making changes, but the team is playing well week in week out at the moment.

He must bide his time like everyone does. We've got a good group of lads here, very professional, train well.
    James' absence has unfortunately coincided with an upsurge in West Brom's form and the philosophy of Pulis seems to be: "Don't fix it if it ain't broke."

That's unlucky for James on a personal level, and I hope he can win his starting place back, but it's fair enough reasoning. Not that crazy really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Came across this on Balls.ie. Darren Fletcher was interviewed about his team-mates and mentioned James at 1m53s and 3m55s:

In response to, "Who never stops running?":

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Fletcher
    James McClean. Probably the fittest guy I've ever come across in football, and that's, you know, I've played with a lot fit players. I used to think of myself back in the day as one of the most fittest box-to-boxes, but I think James would blow me out the water. Speed and unbelievable endurance; he really is a freak and another one who works incredibly hard at it.
    High praise.

In response to, "Who flies into tackles in training?":

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Fletcher
    Yeah, you've got two; James McClean and Callum McManaman. Red cards waiting to happen, especially in training. Both of them used to play in the same team at Wigan so we used to say I don't know how they stayed with 10 men on the pitch. I think Uwe Rossler could only trust to play one of them at a time because he didn't want to go down to nine men. But yeah, there's some wild challenges from the Scouser and the Irishman.
    Maybe not so high praise... Although it is indicative of James' drive and tenacity.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Hasn't started a league game in four months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    West Brom seemed to do some music themed match programme covers. Smiths fans will appreciate this one featuring our James.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He starts v Everton today. Head to head with Coleman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Good to see him back in the starting line-up - it's been a few months - although West Brom lost the game 3-0. James came off after 75 minutes with West Brom 2-0 down at that point. It'llll be interesting to see if he manages to keep his place once Matt Phillips returns from injury.

Marc Wilson was on the bench, but didn't feature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    James played the full 90 minutes for West Brom today as they beat Arsenal 3-1. He also got an assist for the third goal.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    He played really well, but it was only against Arsenal.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I can feel a red card coming on.
    He's always a risk but you would have to worry about his mental state a little bit this week. He posted a heartfelt tribute to Martin McGuinness on Instagram too and ended up responding to some girl by saying "beat it you fat ugly dump truck #whale".

Seems he was close enough to McGuinness too. Really can't understand why he doesn't just post his message and run for the hills, it's beyond idiotic that he gets involved with those who are inevitably going to throw sh!t at him. He obviously enjoys it though which is the sad thing.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's just the way some Derry 'wans' communicate, it's an ethnic thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I know Iceland is fond of whales but there's no need to be that sore about it.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In Derry, "fat ugly dump-truck" is a compliment.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He's always a risk but you would have to worry about his mental state a little bit this week.
    He'll be OK. If he plays, as expected, he'll give his absolute all for his friends, grieving community, city and country. Martin will be well aware that this will have been a difficult week for him and will be keeping an eye on a player he is already very close to anyway. Martin will know best and if James plays, we'll know it's because Martin senses he's in the right frame of mind to do so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, I'd have no question marks over his application, but it's been a heavy week for him mentally. I don't think it's been the best preparation for such a big game, lots of big distractions and mental fatigue. Even for O'Neill, it'll be difficult to judge that one fully but hopefully he'll be fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    There's no better time to play James if you ask me. He'll be all out for a hat-trick to dedicate to McBride and McGuinness against Wales.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    If I caught my teenage brothers or sisters calling people that on Facebook, they would get a clip around the ear.
    You should treat your older siblings with more respect

28. Thanks From: