Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    McClean has had a shared experience, not a unique one. Why should he release a letter explaining his situation to a bunch of fascists and their supporters in society, saying 'please leave me alone and respect my views'? It's not his job to educate the bigots of this world or even to try to get them to understand him. It's up to the rest in society to support his freedom to respectfully choose.
    That guy should be charged with a hate crime, so at least that he and those like him, should get the message to keep quiet.
    Permission for the outbreaks of hate abuse against any figure who choses not to wear the poppy, has been given by the almost instutionalised hijacking of the poppy celebration by the rule britannia brigade, dragging it a long distance away from a respectful memorial period to the fallen soldier.

I would not disagree with your point about the wearing of the poppy being hijacked by right wing elements. But McClean himself has stirred things a bit with some very silly political comments and has now left himself open to such disgusting, disgraceful attacks. This guy will not be charged as there are too many like him out there and that unfortunately is reality. McClean should know by now that twitter creates a lot of problems for him, so why continue to use it?
    When I mentioned McClean's position as being unique, I was referring to him being an English based Irish international from Derry who has refused to wear a poppy (I apologise for not being clearer).
    I mentioned McClean should clarify his position last year and again this year, not to appease idiots, but so the general public and media have a better understanding of his motives. This tweet is one of many issues surrounding McClean and his refusal to wear the poppy. Last year he was booed for quite a number of weeks after not wearing a poppy, this year we had the issue of was he sent home by Wigan or not and now this crap. If anyone wants a fall guy around this time of the year, James is your man. Explaining his situation may not end all of this, but might at least take the spotlight off him at this time of year.
    Last edited by gastric; 14/11/2013 at 8:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Anybody with half a brain would understand why McClean doesn't wear one. Those without even half a brain still wouldn't understand (or care to understand) after an explanation. There's no need for a statement, it would only put him in the firing line further due to the publicity it would attract. He should be forced off twitter though, for his own protection, seeing as he's too thick to do it himself.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 14/11/2013 at 3:08 PM.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    A few comments on the above. One, it is disgusting and uncalled for, however, why the hell is McClean back on twitter with his history of silly comments? His comments in the past have come back to haunt him, so it is hard to feel sorry for him. And while Danny vehemently disagrees with me on this, why doesn' McClean release a statement explaining his unique situation. Until then, he is many people's east target as they see him simply as anti-British.
    I believe he's been back on Twitter since the day he left Sunderland.

Anyway, James doesn't have to explain or justify his choice not to wear a poppy (most certainly not a unique situation; the poppy is a very contentious symbol in Derry and throughout the north of the country for obvious reasons) to anyone, nor does his opting not to do so mean that the abuse he receives is remotely warranted. Even if he was in some unique situation, the abuse would still be inexcusable. The above message is at the very least verging on legally criminal. Neither can James be responsible for simpletons equating any decision of his not to wear a poppy with anti-Britishness.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Don't most people join the army because they are thick?
    Modern-day heroes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    But McClean himself has stirred things a bit with some very silly political comments and has now left himself open to such disgusting, disgraceful attacks.
    Are you implying James is at fault? What comments are you referring to exactly and what has he said to warrant hate speech?

McClean should know by now that twitter creates a lot of problems for him, so why continue to use it?
    The lad probably gets a buzz out of it, to be honest, but that by no means excuses hate speech.

When I mentioned McClean's position as being unique, I was referring to him being an English based Irish international from Derry who has refused to wear a poppy (I apologise for not being clearer).
    I mentioned McClean should clarify his position last year and again this year, not to appease idiots, but so the general public and media have a better understanding of his motives. This tweet is one of many issues surrounding McClean and his refusal to wear the poppy. Last year he was booed for quite a number of weeks after not wearing a poppy, this year we had the issue of was he sent home by Wigan or not and now this crap. If anyone wants a fall guy around this time of the year, James is your man. Explaining his situation may not end all of this, but might at least take the spotlight off him at this time of year.
    His motives are to be respected in a supposedly-free society, whether they remain private or are made public. Will the general public write him a letter of apology after their collective eureka moment or what? If uncouth idiots want to crudely simplify his stance down to a case of anti-Britishness, is it likely a public explanation will force them to drop their prejudicial agenda and amend their outlook? Those abusing him aren't necessarily abusing him because they misunderstand or lack insight. In fact, that former soldier knows full well why James would take issue with sporting a poppy and is, despicably, publicly baiting him and his community over it.

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Remember it is by and large 'uncouth idiots' (I like that one Danny) who are creating the fuss about James not wearing a poppy. I came across the following piece in an English paper last year (can't remember which one) that shows most English people are very reasonable about his subject and couldn't give a toss about the poppy.

''Now, McClean has not yet articulated the reason he chose not to wear a poppy (although the very idea that he should be forced to do so is itself laughable) however let’s suppose that he did, in that case the reason might include the words “Bloody Sunday Massacre”. McClean grew up on the Creggan estate in Derry from which came six of the 14 unarmed peaceful protestors killed by our heroic boys on that fateful day. I’d say McClean, an Irish Republican has at least six very good reasons why not to wear a poppy.
    Is it really a “lack of respect” to refuse to honour an organisation which murdered innocent civilians on your doorstep before covering-up the exact circumstances of what happened, let alone acknowledging blame? “But,” the neo-Patriots say as the froth of indignation drips from their mouths “what about the 49,000 Irish soldiers who died fighting with the British in the First World War?” What about them? Those 49,000 soldiers died protecting freedom and personal choice. Should we trample across their graves simply so we can get the nod of approval from The Daily Mail and the meatheads on Twitter? Surely the best way of honouring the fallen is to preserve the freedom they fought and died to protect''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    A few comments on the above. One, it is disgusting and uncalled for, however, why the hell is McClean back on twitter with his history of silly comments? His comments in the past have come back to haunt him, so it is hard to feel sorry for him. And while Danny vehemently disagrees with me on this, why doesn' McClean release a statement explaining his unique situation. Until then, he is many people's east target as they see him simply as anti-British.
    Why should the fact that he's from Derry make it easier to understand why he wouldn't wear a poppy? Would it be even more of an outrage if a Dublin born English-based footballer refused to wear it?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Why should the fact that he's from Derry make it easier to understand why he wouldn't wear a poppy? Would it be even more of an outrage if a Dublin born English-based footballer refused to wear it?
    Because he's from the same area as 6 of those killed by the British Army on Bloody Sunday, and the sentiment presumably runs a lot deeper there than it does in Dublin, where there hasn't been significant British military action since 1922.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Because he's from the same area as 6 of those killed by the British Army on Bloody Sunday, and the sentiment presumably runs a lot deeper there than it does in Dublin, where there hasn't been significant British military action since 1922
    Allegedly there was one in 1974 (ie the UVF are generally accepted to have been responsible, but suggestions of collusion persist).

Without wishing to add to the McClean debate nor downplay any atrocity, those were two incidents of thousands during the troubles. The sentiment generally runs deeper all over the place, in both parts of Ireland and beyond.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes. We, er, know.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It would seem I am out of step with everyone else on here in relation to James, but hopefully the controversy in relation to him wearing thepoppy will die down ove rhte next few years. At least we can all heopefully agree on that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    What Jon Snow dubbed "poppy fascism" has been steadily worsening year on year.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    No longer take any notice of poppy-wearers. If they want to, fine.
    But no longer feel the slightest empathy with this cause as it's been hijacked by morons and who use it as propaganda to, partially at least, try to con 'the masses' into following their misguided and unnecessary militaristic agenda.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    The banner at Chelsea was very, shall we say, in your face. There was a great photo of it draped over the stand when Shane Long scored his goal. At a club like Chelsea you just know its a statement laden with nationalism rather than respect.
    Not quite as spectacular or in your face as these bad boys.............

Dignity brother......

I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hmm, a poppy tribute from a tribute club...

How quaint!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The poppy what patriotic, imperialistic nonsense. A leftover from a Victorian mentality. Why should any Irish person honour the people who died fighting in the British armed forces? To whitewash history to suggest they did it to preserve Irish people's, or even working class English people's freedom is a nonsense. For every Second World War there were a dozen wars that they specifically were used to prevent people from attaining their freedom. Offhand I can think of:

The first and second Boer Wars
    The Anglo-Irish War
    The 3 Anglo-Afghan wars
    The 3 Anglo-Burmese wars
    The Anglo-Zulu War
    The 2 Opium Wars
    The Anglo-Ashanti Wars
    The Anglo-Egyptian Wars

The notion that they fought preserving people's freedom in World War I is also a fairly inaccurate portrayal of historical fact. A more pointless war you couldn't imagine it was simply a result of an unrestricted arms build up and the inevitable tension that resulted from the imperial powers of Europe trying to jostle for their positions of power in the world order. The British and French were no more interested in preserving people's freedom than the Austrians or the Germans. In fact I think from our point of view here In Ireland the Germans provided us with weapons to help us to fight the British for our freedom.

Where's the remembrance day for all those people who have selflessly devoted their lives to helping to improve the lot of people born in more unfortunate circumstances than themselves instead of us celebrating what are essentially trained killers?

I have to add I live in England so it only annoys me because I have to put up with the hypocrisy of it all year in and year out.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/11/2013 at 7:37 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nothing new there. Only a matter of time before MO'N bars him from Twitter?

Though if people constantly have a dig, you can understand why he has a go back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Expect the IFA to issue a statement soon,
    a threat has been detected, a baseless attack on their vanguard, the BT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    For every Second World War there were a dozen wars that they specifically were used to prevent people from attaining their freedom.
    When did altruism ever govern the foreign policy of Western powers?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I can't remember through all the drivel they've spouted over the past couple of years, but did the Belfast Telegraph actually refer to McClean as a "turncoat" or were they quoting some other bitter idiot?

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Expect the IFA to issue a statement soon,
    a threat has been detected, a baseless attack on their vanguard, the BT.
    Over on OWC, numerous osteriches are under the impression that the Belfast Telegraph is very much an anti-IFA/NI paper.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

I can't remember through all the drivel they've spouted over the past couple of years, but did the Belfast Telegraph actually refer to McClean as a "turncoat" or were they quoting some other bitter idiot
    This article originally began with the phrase "Turncoat James McClean".

26. Thanks From: