Page 182 of 182 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Don't matter if its a popular opinion or not. It's free speech, he is entitled to give an honest answer. There are plenty of people in the UK who hate the monarchy, this shouldn't surprise people just because someone openly admits it on a public forum.

Plus, I don't think I've met any Irish adult who doesn't slag off the institutions of this country and I know plenty of English in my time here in ireland who aren't shy about slagging off irish institutions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It probably depends what those institutions did to/in the home city of the individual in question.
    Try telling that eg to Martin O'Neill. You know, a Derry man who was actually alive during The Troubles. Or any of the Argentinians playing in England, post-Falklands. Or Serbs who saw Belgrade bombed by the RAF during the Yugoslav break-up. Or any of the countless footballers from any number of countries around the world which were colonised by Da Hated Brits.

Or indeed, the scores of other Irish footballers in GB. Or have none of them ever come from other Irish towns/cities which suffered eg Monaghan/Dublin?

Or maybe even Gentleman John Carey? He was born during the War of Independence, yet when WWII broke out 20 years later, rather than popping back to Dublin for the duration, he joined the British Army. Apparently this was on the basis that "A country that's prepared to give me a good living is worth fighting for".

But no, none of those people have ever suffered like our James, nor share his insight and understanding of the world, he's special.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar. View Post
    Don't matter if its a popular opinion or not. It's free speech, he is entitled to give an honest answer.
    Of course it's free speech. Which is why he hasn't been arrested for it, or suffered any other sort of consequence from the very state he hates. But just because his opinion is honest, it doesn't make him immune from other people giving their opinion about him, does it?

There are plenty of people in the UK who hate the monarchy
    Er, they're not a guest in someone elses country.

Plus, I don't think I've met any Irish adult who doesn't slag off the institutions of this country
    It's your country, so you must be perfectly entitled to do so. But try going to any number of other countries and behaving like that and see what reaction you'd get.

I know plenty of English in my time here in ireland who aren't shy about slagging off irish institutions.
    It's one thing saying the government is crap/the Gardai are useless/the Health Service is a shambles etc.

But when you attack the very embodiment of the country, as McClean does when he sings about "hating the phucking King", then he's making it very clear that when it comes to it, it's the country itself he hates and everything which goes with it.

And I say all that as someone who doesn't ever sing GSTK before an NI match for instance, or fawn over the Royals generally. Indeed I reckon that the only (reluctant) justification for maintaining the Monarchy is to look at some of the people who get elected to be President elsewhere eg Putin, Trump, Mugabe etc.

But that's by-the-by, for if ever I found myself making a very good living in another country, I wouldn't spend my time insulting it or its people. And if I couldn't forbear from doing so, then I wouldn't go there to work in the first place.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 19/04/2024 at 2:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Insane post, the British slaughtered us. you cant compare
    Ah right. But when the very same people McClean celebrated eg with his famous "balaclava History lesson" slaughtered my people, I'm entitled to go around abusing him and all his kind in return?

Cue the usual "Ah, but you started it" shyte next, I suppose?

Anyhow, I'm outta here, before the Mods close it down.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Try thinking of it this way.

Suppose some 20 y.o. English fella emigrated to the Republic ten years ago, having left school at 16 with no particular qualifications etc, to take up a job that he happened to be particularly good at. And that job paid him very handsomely, so that he could enjoy a lifestyle infinitely more privileged than he might have expected had he stayed at home.

But as well as doing a good job for his employer etc, he's also forever publicly slagging off the institutions of the State, including "hating the phucking President".

You'd be ok with that, I assume?
    Completely different history of the Irish President and the British Royal Family, and its connections to the British military and what that military has done in Ireland throughout history = = No way the same.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Sure the UK claims part of James McClean's Country = = Big trouble for a start.
    Last edited by seanfhear; 19/04/2024 at 4:05 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Of course it's free speech. Which is why he hasn't been arrested for it, or suffered any other sort of consequence from the very state he hates. But just because his opinion is honest, it doesn't make him immune from other people giving their opinion about him, does it?
    Nope, let them at it. No complaints about people not liking him or his opinion.

Er, they're not a guest in someone elses country.
    It's your country, so you must be perfectly entitled to do so. But try going to any number of other countries and behaving like that and see what reaction you'd get.
    He was born in the UK and therefore a British citizen, even though he and others may not be happy with that fact, he is not then a foreigner in Britain. So he is not a guest in the state/country/nation(however you want to define the UK).

But that's by-the-by, for if ever I found myself making a very good living in another country, I wouldn't spend my time insulting it or its people. And if I couldn't forbear from doing so, then I wouldn't go there to work in the first place.
    Well, a good job will heal all wounds. You can hate a place and still work there, the money he has been able to make would quite likely make it bearable.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Anyhow, I'm outta here, before the Mods close it down.
    Dons mod hat. Tally-ho!

Doffs mod hat.
    Try thinking of it this way.

Suppose some 20 y.o. English fella emigrated to the Republic ten years ago, having left school at 16 with no particular qualifications etc, to take up a job that he happened to be particularly good at. And that job paid him very handsomely, so that he could enjoy a lifestyle infinitely more privileged than he might have expected had he stayed at home.

But as well as doing a good job for his employer etc, he's also forever publicly slagging off the institutions of the State, including "hating the phucking President".

You'd be ok with that, I assume?
    When did McClean emigrate exactly? If the British don't like mouthy northies, they can leave. We could call it a British Exit, or Brexit for short. Until then, he's a subject of the unelected scroungers like the rest of ye.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    all pretty tasteless on a day that the families of the bloody sunday victims have announced that the 15 soldiers who knowingly put forward false accounts to justify their killing of peaceful protesters won't be charged with perjury...

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    all pretty tasteless on a day that the families of the bloody sunday victims have announced that the 15 soldiers who knowingly put forward false accounts to justify their killing of peaceful protesters won't be charged with perjury...
    British " " Law " " in Ireland has always been a farce.