Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 3585

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Surely Breen and Hunt are big enough and old enough and ugly enough to be able to take a bit of stick off James McClean. It annoys me, if pundits are able to dish to out but not take some back. We will see how it pans out.
    You missed my point (though I'm sure they are able to take it). McClean is a kick and rush player, all heart, instinct and passion. In that, he's sympomatic of the state of our squad since Trap. But it's his temperamental nature that makes him a liability. He's as likely to get sent off as score, and as likely to go OTT to half-read or misunderstood comments as he is to post something stupid (the balaclava history lesson photo!) on social media. As far as I can see: He. Just. Doesn't. Think. Much less see consequences.

I don't know McClean from Adam, and I'm sure there are Derry fans here who do who may correct me (I'm open to it), but it seems to me that ageing hasn't brought the maturity that gives a so-so player a late golden era to compensate for old shortcomings. He looks increasingly petulant and needling. For the sake of the team and McClean himself I hope Kenny gets better out of him than anyone else thought possible.

That said, it's all well and good to defend a manager he worked with and admires, but will it last if Kenny's apppointment brings McClean's international retirement? Kenny wants a controlled, passing game that needs (self)discipline, skill and tactical nous. I'm not sure McClean brings enough to make a Kenny squad. Had he a comparable player in the U21s or Dundalk, for instance?

BTW, I can't imagine Hunt - no shy and retiring gent at the best of times - taking McClean's reaction lying down. I'm looking forward to the fireworks - this one could run!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I am sure the Football big wigs and Players will be doing a

“ James McClean’s Life Matters “ taking a knee , the Badges etc etc etc.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Player of the year at Stoke.
    He hasn't gone away, you know.

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    An online poll? Russian interference surely?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Oh that's gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

9. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    He got 49% of the vote and that is borne out through posts on one of their fans forums: https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com.../player-season

One person posted this which I'm sure is tongue in cheek (it is funny): How can James McLean get player of the season when, even though he's shown the most commitment and effort, been very effective and adapted to different positions, when he doesn't wear a poppy?

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The Northern Irishman from Londonderry did good.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Well deserved. People like to sneer and make assumptions of people from underprivileged (post) industrial towns such Stoke.

But this says more of the judgemental sort who look down upon these people than those people themselves.

Anyway, well done, James.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He seems to take an awful lot of of stick on here for giving the ball away so much, but in my opinion, he's got the heart of a lion and always gives his all for Ireland. Glad to see a bit of good news for once.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    He seems to be a lot less wasteful for Stoke and Michael O’Neill seems to have him flying.

I know him and Stephen Kenny think very highly of each other and James was delighted when SK got the job so it will be interesting to see if there is any change under new management with a new style, after all giving the ball away lot applies to the entire team for the last 10 years.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Well deserved. People like to sneer and make assumptions of people from underprivileged (post) industrial towns such Stoke.

But this says more of the judgemental sort who look down upon these people than those people themselves.

Anyway, well done, James.
    I tend to sneer at abusive English nationalist bigots regardless of where they're from. If that's what you mean by judgmental, than hands up, mea culpa etc.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    He seems to be a lot less wasteful for Stoke and Michael O’Neill seems to have him flying.

I know him and Stephen Kenny think very highly of each other and James was delighted when SK got the job so it will be interesting to see if there is any change under new management with a new style, after all giving the ball away lot applies to the entire team for the last 10 years.
    This is a really interesting topic. Is James' particular style a feature of the managers he has played under. Especially for ireland but also at club level. O'Neill at Sunderland and ireland. Pulis...

In a different system do we see a more composed, efficient player.. also much as I love his energy, I find his headless running around odd ... is it a feature of the team he is In not being well set up for success by the manager. Basically have we yet to see the real james McLean?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    This is a really interesting topic. Is James' particular style a feature of the managers he has played under. Especially for ireland but also at club level. O'Neill at Sunderland and ireland. Pulis...

In a different system do we see a more composed, efficient player.. also much as I love his energy, I find his headless running around odd ... is it a feature of the team he is In not being well set up for success by the manager. Basically have we yet to see the real james McLean?
    Pondered that myself earlier I suppose the only real reference point would be to go the whole way back to his time at Derry which is a long time ago and at a much lower standard.

I honestly can’t remember if he was more composed or not.

If you look at the career paths of more composed players he played alongside you have Danny Lafferty (Burnley, Sheff Utd now Shamrock Rvs), Patrick McEleney (Dundalk) and Stephen McLaughlin (Nottingham Forest, Southend, now clueless)

He certainly out lasted and achieved those players so can he be said to have less technical ability? Is that fair comment that a guy who was a Premier League regular for a few years and a POTY in the most expensive Championship team ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Pondered that myself earlier I suppose the only real reference point would be to go the whole way back to his time at Derry which is a long time ago and at a much lower standard.

I honestly can’t remember if he was more composed or not.

If you look at the career paths of more composed players he played alongside you have Danny Lafferty (Burnley, Sheff Utd now Shamrock Rvs), Patrick McEleney (Dundalk) and Stephen McLaughlin (Nottingham Forest, Southend, now clueless)

He certainly out lasted and achieved those players so can he be said to have less technical ability? Is that fair comment that a guy who was a Premier League regular for a few years and a POTY in the most expensive Championship team ?
    My biggest issue with james is his supply to strikers in an irish shirt. I have a small concern with the balance of committed energy physically to committed thinking but that's ok. I just wonder what his upper level is with the right management. Not to say he hasnt been successful, he clearly has in a way that most footballers are not. Like you I was trying to think about derry city but I instead think his first few weeks at Sunderland were illustrative. He was very exciting and looked skillful. Perhaps reality struck home that to be competitive he needed to be pragmatic..
    I will say, when I was in lansdowne for his debut, it was the loudest cherr I've heard for a debut in years...

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I love James’ attitude on the pitch. From time to time his sheer hunger and the quality of his deliveries are crucial, Switzerland at home being a standout. But he’s too erratic and too one-dimensional for me, and I get so frustrated when he keeps his head down and fails to see easier options. His failure to play in Daryl Murphy for a tap in in Lyon was a classic example, but it’s a common thing with him.

Even that however can be forgiven if he brings balance to the team but in my opinion he does the exact opposite. Much was made of how Doherty and Coleman competed for the same space on the RHS in Gibraltar. On the other side I think Stevens and McClean compete for the same space too. Sometimes Stevens needs the left flank to be clear for him to run into. If you see how effective he is at Sheffield (albeit as a wing back) it’s when he interacts with others, one-twos, give-and-gos, to make space for his trademark low balls across the box. Stevens is a far more accurate crosser with a better range of passes and takes better decisions. McClean can’t interact with Stevens in this way and as a consequence I think he actively diminishes our left side. Stevens is always cautious of a cheap loss of possession ahead of him too.

I can see merit in McClean being the left forward in a 4-3-3, but for me that should be Connolly’s role. Connolly is at his most dangerous cutting in from the near left, which should be an ideal complement to what Stevens does best.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Excellent assessment Stutts and I agree completely. The only thing I will say about McClean is that whatever the critics will say about his technical ability/decision making (and I am one of them), at least he has always had the courage to try and make things happen in the final third.

I’m sure he will still have some sort of role to play, perhaps off the bench, but yes unless his game fundamentally changes under Kenny, I would be inclined to use him in a reduced capacity.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I love James’ attitude on the pitch. From time to time his sheer hunger and the quality of his deliveries are crucial, Switzerland at home being a standout. But he’s too erratic and too one-dimensional for me, and I get so frustrated when he keeps his head down and fails to see easier options. His failure to play in Daryl Murphy for a tap in in Lyon was a classic example, but it’s a common thing with him.

Even that however can be forgiven if he brings balance to the team but in my opinion he does the exact opposite. Much was made of how Doherty and Coleman competed for the same space on the RHS in Gibraltar. On the other side I think Stevens and McClean compete for the same space too. Sometimes Stevens needs the left flank to be clear for him to run into. If you see how effective he is at Sheffield (albeit as a wing back) it’s when he interacts with others, one-twos, give-and-gos, to make space for his trademark low balls across the box. Stevens is a far more accurate crosser with a better range of passes and takes better decisions. McClean can’t interact with Stevens in this way and as a consequence I think he actively diminishes our left side. Stevens is always cautious of a cheap loss of possession ahead of him too.

I can see merit in McClean being the left forward in a 4-3-3, but for me that should be Connolly’s role. Connolly is at his most dangerous cutting in from the near left, which should be an ideal complement to what Stevens does best.
    Stevens is very very effective in tight spaces. I was sitting above his wing against denmark and saw him move the ball quickly around players. His brain is moving as fast as his feet. You could see he struggled with james in front of him. I'd be surprised in some ways if the james we have seen for the last 5 years starts for Kenny.. like I say , I'm curious if a different role can be found for him.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Very interesting to see what happens with Kenny. I remember McLean for Derry as a direct runner who used to deliver a nice low cross on a regular basis. He’s a decent striker of a ball and when he’s disciplined I think he can deliver. His work rate can never be faulted. He could be effective again under Kenny, I’m just not sure if he’ll fit in. Left of a front 3 might well be his best position but as had been said there’s Connolly and others competing there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I haven't seen McClean as a legitimate starter in ages based on his overall technical ability but successive managers have had him as a constant. His top quality is that he never gives up, that was his central contribution to that late surge to salvage a draw v Swiss.

Our next game of note obviously is away to Slovakia in
    in both games against Slovakia, Giggs conservatively set up Wales, let Slovakia have the ball in their own half but cut out the options for progress through midfield and pounced on any mistake for the fast break, not that we have to ape Wales but I seriously doubt Kenny will set up with 3 forwards, in a huge pressure game where we have to win.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    McClean is in championship because of his mouth. The guy is a top player. Could play for Villa, Burnley, Newcastle etc but i think Fulham may purchase him