Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 49 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    I think Trap and O'neill will want his mind focussed on the whats ahead not distracted by these thugs on twitter.
    The incidents so far with twitter and McClean have been small but if allowed to continue it could escalate hence better to end it now.
    You're really blowing this way out of proportion. Without being too harsh, footballers have to fill their time with something. if its not twitter, it'll be raosting burds or playing FIFA on their xbox. If its not them, its McClean winding up idiots on twitter.

Some, like poor James McCarthy, have real problems to think about. Sectarian abuse on twitter is nothing to someone like McClean. Somethin he seems well able to handle (and I commend him for standing by his tweets/pictures)

Twitter is a ridiculous bloody thing and we have already seen footballers cancelling their accounts due to abuse.
    And you've seen others use it for better means. You don't like/get it, and thats fine. But plenty do. Celebs getting twitter abuse is on the same level as internet forums.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm sure they can spit roast birds and still tweet at the same time.

It takes a level of maturity, education and non-ignorance to rise above it though Dodge, and more importantly to remain dignified. Whatever way you look at it, its slightly childish and by responding saying "love it" or whatever terms he used, is goading and showing to be at their level.

Any application/tool or whatever has its benefits and disadvantages, but its generally down to the usage of said things, usage being the users.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That's some accent he has.
    I couldn't make head nor tail out of his Derry speak.
    We should put him, Robbie and McGeady in front of the media in Poland to answer questions.

Imagine what a conversation between him and Trap would be like!!

I think they would revert to sign language!!!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You're really blowing this way out of proportion. Without being too harsh, footballers have to fill their time with something. if its not twitter, it'll be raosting burds or playing FIFA on their xbox. If its not them, its McClean winding up idiots on twitter.

Some, like poor James McCarthy, have real problems to think about. Sectarian abuse on twitter is nothing to someone like McClean. Somethin he seems well able to handle (and I commend him for standing by his tweets/pictures)

And you've seen others use it for better means. You don't like/get it, and thats fine. But plenty do. Celebs getting twitter abuse is on the same level as internet forums.

I dont think Im blowing it out of proportion at all Dodge tbh.

Its a small thing now but why risk having it snowball in something bigger

As you said james Mccarthy has "real" problems to deal with , which i completely agree with but his problems are not something thats going to result in disgusting abuse for the player, so I wouldnt really agree with McCarthys dilemma been used in the McClean issue.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The IFA have released a statement in response to James' comments: http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/731...-fa-statement/

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    The IFA have released a statement in response to James' comments: http://www.irishfa.com/news/item/731...-fa-statement/
    It's all getting a bit ridiculous now...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    My own take on James' media comments; I think they're naive and a bit careless rather than consciously malicious. The IFA certainly aren't an anti-Catholic organisation. It has to be acknowledged that they and NI fans have more-or-less stamped out the type of sectarianism from their ranks that led to abuse being directed at Neil Lennon all those years ago. They run a 'Football for All' programme and players from Catholic backgrounds like Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt are welcomed in Windsor Park without problem. In McClean's simplified world, I think "Catholic", "nationalist" and "republican" all mean one and the same. Even academics carelessly use such words interchangeably in relation to NI. He's essentially saying that he didn't feel at home playing for the IFA as someone from an Irish republican background (although he uses the word "Catholic"), which is understandable given the IFA represent an Irish/British identity that is alien to him; not that he had anything against the Protestants who also made up the squads of which he was part. NI fans are accusing him of malicious lies and bigotry, but I think this is unfair; he's expressing his perception of NI football, albeit rather naively.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    The IFA are disappointed with James' comments, so they are. So they throw up the deflector shield of Football For All and say nothing about some of the things McClean actually mentioned: feeling uncomfortable with the anthem, flags and songs - the general image of Northern Irish football.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    You're right Predator - there's nothing in that press release that addresses what James McClean had to say although I agree with Danny that McClean's comments are both careless and naive. And while the IFA's Football For All program is admirable, the fact that there is need for such a program is noteworthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    The IFA are disappointed with James' comments, so they are. So they throw up the deflector shield of Football For All and say nothing about some of the things McClean actually mentioned: feeling uncomfortable with the anthem, flags and songs - the general image of Northern Irish football.
    Very true, usual spin

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The snippet there sounded very interesting as he spoke about his inability to attach himself to NI due to the sectarian flags etc in Windsor Park.
    The flag he specifically mentioned was the Union Flag.

The Union Flag is the National Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It is no more a "sectarian" flag than the National Flag of the Republic Of Ireland.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post

The Union Flag is the National Flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

It is no more a "sectarian" flag than the National Flag of the Republic Of Ireland.
    All true. Is he still not allowed be "offended" and be uncomfortable by it's presence?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    So here is one caveat in the issue of poaching; If approaching players such as McClean was within the realms of acceptable powers (from an IFA perspective) for the FAI, then McClean furthering his career with NI wouldn't have occurred. In fact, he would have forged a meaningful international career with Ireland.
    What absolute nonsense.

Why didn't McClean simply let the FAI know that he would love to play for them - before he wore a Northern Ireland shirt?

Hopefully Republican minded players born in Northern Ireland, with a similar Republican outlook to McClean, will wrap the door of the FAI before they deny a Northern Ireland shirt to someone whose dream it is to play for Northern Ireland at all levels, including Senior Internationals.

Chase your dream, but chase it at the earliest available opportunity.

Whilst McClean does come across as a bit of a sectarian bigot - given his recent comments to the press - the neanderthals threatening him, and dishing out sectarian abuse, are utter pond life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    All true. Is he still not allowed be "offended" and be uncomfortable by it's presence?
    You are aware that the Union Flag does not fly in any official capacity at Northern Ireland games?

Some fans bring them - I suspect will see more fans with them, going forward.

Should I be "offended" and "uncomfortable" if I attend an Ireland rugby match, or a Republic Of Ireland football match?

If a Union Flag "offends" young McClean, seems odd that he plys his trade in the United Kingdom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    You are aware that the Union Flag does not fly in any official capacity at Northern Ireland games?

Some fans bring them - I suspect will see more fans with them, going forward.

Should I be "offended" and "uncomfortable" if I attend an Ireland rugby match, or a Republic Of Ireland football match?

If a Union Flag "offends" young McClean, seems odd that he plys his trade in the United Kingdom.
    Official capacity? Who cares about the official capacity? I don't think James is worried about how the British State chooses to represent itself.
    Why are you being deliberately obtuse about this?

You can be offended at whatever the hell you want to be if you attend an Irish rugby match. If the fact that Denis Leamy or Donnchadh O'Callaghan is in the team I think the presence of them should offend more than a Tricolour.

McClean has always plied his trade in the United Kingdom. He now plies his trade in Britain. But I think McClean's political leanings may concede like many other Irish nationalists that the presence of Union Jack in Sunderland or Birmingham or Wigan has slightly different connotations and meanings.

I mean the Union Jacks up and down the length of the Mall from the Queens gaff to Trafalgar Square have a different "feel" to them than say, Union Jacks up and down the length of the Donegall Road in July. Wouldn't you agree?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    What absolute nonsense.

Why didn't McClean simply let the FAI know that he would love to play for them - before he wore a Northern Ireland shirt?

Hopefully Republican minded players born in Northern Ireland, with a similar Republican outlook to McClean, will wrap the door of the FAI before they deny a Northern Ireland shirt to someone whose dream it is to play for Northern Ireland at all levels, including Senior Internationals.

Chase your dream, but chase it at the earliest available opportunity.

Whilst McClean does come across as a bit of a sectarian bigot - given his recent comments to the press - the neanderthals threatening him, and dishing out sectarian abuse, are utter pond life.
    For right or wrong he's on record as saying he player for NI underage in order to further his career, as a stepping stone was how he put it. He does seem to realise that it can be considered the wrong thing to do. "It’s probably the wrong thing to say but it was just a stepping stone in my career.”

I think you're being OTT saying he's a sectarian bigot, he's an Irishman who wants to play for his country, he has said nothing negative about players who want to play for NI, just that he wasn't comfortable doing it.

Hope you're keeping well mate, unfortunately I'm not due back from Poland till the 23rd so going to have to miss the cricket in Belfast, had intended going up as well but staying on after the group stages for a few days with the missus, only way I could get the green card for the full 2 weeks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    For right or wrong he's on record as saying he player for NI underage in order to further his career, as a stepping stone was how he put it. He does seem to realise that it can be considered the wrong thing to do. "It’s probably the wrong thing to say but it was just a stepping stone in my career.”

I think you're being OTT saying he's a sectarian bigot, he's an Irishman who wants to play for his country, he has said nothing negative about players who want to play for NI, just that he wasn't comfortable doing it.

Hope you're keeping well mate, unfortunately I'm not due back from Poland till the 23rd so going to have to miss the cricket in Belfast, had intended going up as well but staying on after the group stages for a few days with the missus, only way I could get the green card for the full 2 weeks!

I'd hate for it to turn into 4 weeks for ya DC.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I'd hate for it to turn into 4 weeks for ya DC.
    Yeah, that'd be a nightmare!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    It's all getting a bit ridiculous now...
    I was thinking the very same thing when I found it on the front page of the BBC's football section!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

However I expect that may be the end of the matter now...........................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Oh I think it is, do Scotland for example use the Union flag?

Never in a million years would the Scots fans use a Union Flag, not it it was the last flag in the world!!!