Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 162 of 180 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 3585

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    James must be planning on a Political career after football . I don’t know if I am serious or not .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It's great that James can now write his own signature and is an expert on Brexit. I am sure Leo will value the petition and will certainly discuss it with Theresa.
    Last edited by gastric; 12/12/2017 at 8:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    If Jack Lynch and Dick Spring can do it why not McClean?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    It's great that James can now write his own signature and is an expert on Brexit. I am sure Leo will value the petition and will certainly discuss it with Theresa.
    James has shown time and again he's a very articulate man, not least in his public letter explaining his poppy stance. Disagree with him all you like but I don't get this sneering.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    James has shown time and again he's a very articulate man, not least in his public letter explaining his poppy stance. Disagree with him all you like but I don't get this sneering.
    Seconded. Particularly cheap shot.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I'm sure there's a very substantial number of people in the north that would consider James' support to carry a lot of weight for their cause. And I think the tone of the letter itself (asking that the Irish government help protect the wishes of the Irish people in the north) is an interesting one. The likes of Conlan and McClean do Ireland proud whenever they carry the flag or put on the tri colour and many of us are very happy to support them when they do so.

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    If Jack Lynch and Dick Spring can do it why not McClean?
    He would be an Ideal Candidate to be A Sinn Fein First Minister and later a possible Taoiseach .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's entirely right, valid, appropriate and appreciated that James - a sort of informal or de facto community representative in a way - would use his platform to express his legitimate concerns about the potential effects of Brexit here by adding his name to what is a broadly-welcomed petition. After all, James grew up a mere two kilometres from the border in Creggan, an already marginalised area that has long experienced political and socio-economic neglect. Even if he himself earns a few grand a week (on account of his hard work, dedication and discipline over the years) and presently lives in England, where he might be a bit more insulated from the worst effects of the UK's misguided decision to leave the EU, Brexit will still have a direct impact - most likely detrimental - upon his home city, community, family and friends, all in spite of the fact that a majority of people in the north (including the overwhelming majority of nationalists) voted to remain in the EU.

This majority desire has been largely ignored with the DUP calling the shots and erroneously framed as "representing" the interests of the wider populace in the north simply on account of their cosy pact with the partial Tories in Westminster, so why wouldn't James, along with over 200 other prominent Irish nationals from the north, use their voices to correct this misframing of the DUP and raise issue with Brexit, a potential hardening of the partition of our country and the objectionable manner in which the DUP have been behaving towards the northern nationalist people (and indeed other minorities generally) of late?

The DUP have been reneging on agreements and pursuing a destructive path for all here, whilst their petty intransigence and bigotry in holding back full equality for all and minority rights (such as Irish language, legacy and LGBT+ rights) have been lamentably indulged by successive Irish governments/presidents and British government stooges like James Brokenshire. The petition keeps a public focus on this unacceptable obstinacy and makes it known that nationalists are here and that we're not going to roll over and accept it. There has been a distinct change in mood within nationalism over the past year due to developing events. The petition shows we're standing up and not going to take second-rate treatment by the DUP or the British government (who actually promised an Irish language act before the DUP signed the agreement at St. Andrew's and who are, as I say, dragging the north of Ireland out of the EU against its will). Consider us woke.

James is a hero for local people here and he channels a defiant voice for working-class nationalists especially, whose narrative may not often be articulated or heard across the water in particular. So many people in Britain would have remained completely unaware of the contentious nature of the poppy and 'GSTQ' for the nationalist community in the north if it wasn't for James. I'm sure he has helped and inspired many young nationalists and republicans in the north find the confidence to proudly assert and articulate their own Irish identity in the face of adversity, contempt and indifference.

Generally-speaking, it's heartening to see so many public and prominent figures from the nationalist community unashamed to make their voice heard at a pivotal moment in our history like this. It enhances the sense of unity, togetherness and solidarity within the community at a time when it's badly needed and represents a growing collective sense of confidence and determination.

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Ye great, I look forward to the Dublin City Council agreeing to revoke Suu Kyi's freedom of Dublin Award, based on U2's call for this to happen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Ye great, I look forward to the Dublin City Council agreeing to revoke Suu Kyi's freedom of Dublin Award, based on U2's call for this to happen.
    U2 might even pony up some Tax to actually help run the show rather than Only Advise .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm just surprised that Aung San Suu Kyi hasn't handed back her Freedom of Dublin award for fear of being associated with the likes of Bono and Geldof.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm just surprised that Aung San Suu Kyi hasn't handed back her Freedom of Dublin award for fear of being associated with the likes of Bono and Geldof.
    Bo-NoTax giving his opinion on this that and the other . He is a notorious Tax Avoider and a Singer . He should be giving free tax avoidance seminars and perhaps some Pontification at the end .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Bo-NoTax giving his opinion on this that and the other . He is a notorious Tax Avoider and a Singer . He should be giving free tax avoidance seminars and perhaps some Pontification at the end .
    Bono once tellingly said (whilst reciting in approval his father's supposed quoting of John Millington Synge at an earlier point in Bono's life) that Ireland was just a place that kept his feet from getting wet. In light of his tax-dodging, make of that what you will...

You'll enjoy this piece on how Bono and other philanthropic capitalists like Geldof who push charity to defend property (or "philanthropic poverty", in other words): https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/11/p...ropic-poverty/

Bono, a mascot for neoliberal capitalism, urges the impoverished to trust the economic system that directly causes their poverty - which he incongruously claims to oppose - and encourages the notion that charity rather than social reform is a credible fix.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic (somewhat ), here's a bit of Sinn Féin-related vintage Bono cringe:

It's Bono engaging in a sanctimonious rant (using a weird assortment of accents) against an unfortunate individual in the crowd during a 1987 U2 gig in San Francisco. Bono appears to assume in error that the fan's "SF U2" sign (obviously in reference to the city in which the gig is taking place) refers to Sinn Féin, who he quite clearly loathed with a passion.

Luckily, he didn't spot the advertisement down the back for Bank of America individual retirement accounts or he'd still be there to this day ranting away about the IRA!

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    RTÉ Sports person of the year for 2017: https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport...n-of-the-year/

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Video of his full acceptance speech/interview here: https://www.facebook.com/rtesoccer/v...1942936893359/

Well done to James. Good to see his dedication appreciated and rewarded by the Irish public.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Mind boggling selection.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Mind boggling selection.
    Generally-speaking, I don't think it has been a great year for Irish sport in terms of success, but if the award was purely for sporting achievement alone, I'd have said Ryan Burnett, or possibly Katie Taylor, would have been worthy of the accolade. Respect and appreciation for sportspeople doesn't always have to be dependent upon them winning*, however, and, in terms of personality, dedication and commitment to the national cause, I don't think you can question James McClean. The general Irish public obviously connected with that. He's the physical embodiment of the spirit of the team and he's how every Irish fan imagines themselves if they ever had the privilege of wearing the jersey. I think the fact he won this award without the team actually having qualified for the World Cup just shows how much of an impact James' heart and endeavour had upon people. The dramatic and crucial goals he scored during the campaign, especially those against Austria and Wales (to pick up two unprecedented away victories against higher-level opposition), also helped, no doubt.

In a broader sense, I think it's another definite indication that the football team has well and truly re-captured the general public's attention/imagination over the past few years (in spite of the what happened in the play-off). The football team is respected again. That is a good sign. I've been critical of O'Neill, more so in latter times, but after the nightmare of Staunton and the anaemic lethargy of Trap, he has undeniably managed to bring the spark back.

The last time someone connected with the international football team won this award was Mick McCarthy in 2001 after qualifying for the 2002 World Cup. The last time a player won the award was Roy Keane in 1999 (for his treble-success at Manchester United) and, before that, Packie Bonner (for his penalty-save against Romania) in 1990.

*In 1986, cyclist Seán Kelly won the award after having finished third in the Vuelta a España, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It wasn't a great year but Con O'Callaghan won around twenty medals and was a massive part of all of his teams success. Rena Buckley won her eighteenth Senior All Ireland medal, let that sink in! Katie Taylor became world champion like you said. McClean could barely get a start for his club while all of this was going on and scored one goal for us. It was farcical that he was even nominated in my opinion, let alone actually selected, no matter how much he loves his country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It wasn't a great year but Con O'Callaghan won around twenty medals and was a massive part of all of his teams success. Rena Buckley won her eighteenth Senior All Ireland medal, let that sink in! Katie Taylor became world champion like you said. McClean could barely get a start for his club while all of this was going on and scored one goal for us. It was farcical that he was even nominated in my opinion, let alone actually selected, no matter how much he loves his country.
    Not wishing to disparage the achievements of O'Callaghan and Buckley, which were superb and unparalleled within their respective fields, but they are smaller fields and international sport is undoubtedly a much larger and more competitive sphere. Also, doing something for Ireland on the international stage can truly be said to be nationally representative. I hear what you're saying, but I'd probably always have a personal preference or bias towards international achievement or endeavour over the domestic for those reasons.