Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Neill 'to quit' Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Find another bandwagon ?

Much ado about little. shams board offered MON a new contract some time back. He (and/or his representative) felt he was worth more and called their bluff, nothing to do with "prudent" wage structure (except RE managers salary).

MON was very successfull - results wise, but never endeared himself to a section of the shams fanbase. Shams will be recruiting from a strong position and I would not be surprised to see Brian Kerr take over (possibly with Johnny mac in tow).
    you'd swear its the first time people ' got on the bandwagon' when a Irish team are successful. Long may it continue, we've gained plenty of new genuine fans. Think your right about MON and sections of support, 3 trophys in 3 years and euro success is'nt enough for some people it would seem. We have got a set financial structure in place, i know thats difficult for a Bohs fan to comprehend , MON and his agent simply wanted too much and thats something he will regret.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    If his agent is the problem, then the Kerr rumours are going to way wide of the mark
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    From a shels fan. Seriously?
    He's obviously had a traumatic Rovers related event in his past. I reckon he was threatened by some 15 year olds on the LUAS, or someone stuck an Ultras sticker over one of his Na Fianna Eireann posters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Few things in this thread -

Sligo fans, I've thought about this a bit.

Whatever about putting up your budget being stupid, the fact that your chairman stated publicly that you've put up the budget is stupid, just stupid.

People (I forget who) touting Alan Matthews for the Rovers job?? Lol as they say on the internet.

Also, Dodge is spot on on the Kerr thing. I can't see where the Kerr rumour is coming from if there's any truth to the agent rumour.

Which can only mean theres an untrue rumour floating around.
    Last edited by Lim till i die; 12/12/2011 at 2:28 PM. Reason: Kerr, care

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Whether or not his agent is pricing him out of a contract, leaking the story to the papers looks to have seriously backfired. Assuming it was meant to elicit sympathy and force the board's hand, they've succeeded only in revealing that Rovers fans are (rightly or wrongly) fairly ambivalent about whether he stays on or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Platinum 1 represent MON, former Platinum 1 Board member now on the board at Hibs, knows how they work wouldnt give into wage demands, MON comes crawlying back, no dice.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post

Whatever about putting up your budget being stupid, the fact that your chairman stated publicly that you've put up the budget is stupid, just stupid.
    Did you ever consider that the Chairman of the club might know a few truths regarding the budget that you dont? Hence he can make the statment.

There are a 3 or 4 good solid reasons, imo, why and how the budget can/ will be increased. Im sure they will come out when everything is finalised. Until then you keep making your mind up based on tabloid and forum comments.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    And yet Roddy Collins was carried from the pitch by some of our idiot fans after fluking a rare win when he was in charge of us.

Let's hope the new boss does a lot of badge kissing and fawning programme notes.
    No Roddy fan but to compare the two scenarios is just idiotic. O'Neill's had the best squad by a mile in the league last two seasons and earned the most money EVER paid to a manager here last season. The league should've been won both times weeks before they were, and there was no excuse not to play a better brand of football with the players we had.
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    [QUOTE=askmehoop;1559632] , MON and his agent simply wanted too much and thats something he will regret.

According to one of the papers today (can't remember which one) MON has raked in a whooping €500,000 in his three years at Shams. Suprised he's not already satisfied on that money.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Obviously, didn't think too hard.

First of many aspects which reveal a thread-bare logic, just consider pretty much everything, that has been stated already by Sligo fans on this topic.

Second, what would you prefer, 'buckshee double - under the table contracts' -- now where have we seen those?

Anyways, back to thread, even though MON was one of the most miserable, dour and unimaginative managers before camera - he has achieved great success, particularly the EUROPA games.

Best of luck to him in the future. I'm sure there will be plenty of would be candidates -- however, Paul Cook won't be one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts

We made a healthy profit last year and by the looks of it made a healthy profit this year.
    Our financial statements are disclosed to the membership, its not cloak and dagger style finances.
    Increasing our playing budget if there is the financial clout to match is hardly stupid, especially considering we have invested heavily on infrastructure like new astro turf pitchs, tv gantry, new club shop, new offices etc. We have also increased investment in youth development with the progressive appointment of Dykes.
    We will never match Shams financial clout, last season was a perfect example where they could poach the likes of Kilduff, Shepard, Mc Cabe etc and we couldnt match the money being offered to them.
    But being cautious and questioning finances is wise, after all it has ment that we have ALWAYS paid our debts, unlike some.

Also gutted O'Neill has left. Bad news for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyriver View Post

First of many aspects which reveal a thread-bare logic, just consider pretty much everything, that has been stated already by Sligo fans on this topic.

Second, what would you prefer, 'buckshee double - under the table contracts' -- now where have we seen those?

Anyways, back to thread, even though MON was one of the most miserable, dour and unimaginative managers before camera - he has achieved great success, particularly the EUROPA games.

Best of luck to him in the future. I'm sure there will be plenty of would be candidates -- however, Paul Cook won't be one
    always found MON very honest in his assesment when in front of the camera. Paul Cook wont be a candidate for the job if it becomes available, aint good enough im afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by askmehoop View Post
    always found MON very honest in his assesment when in front of the camera. Paul Cook wont be a candidate for the job if it becomes available, aint good enough im afraid.
    Have to agree. Ye aint good enough for Paul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    No Roddy fan but to compare the two scenarios is just idiotic. O'Neill's had the best squad by a mile in the league last two seasons and earned the most money EVER paid to a manager here last season. The league should've been won both times weeks before they were, and there was no excuse not to play a better brand of football with the players we had.
    I'm not comparing the two sitautions, just pointing out how funny it is that a gob****e who plays up to so a certain type of person like Roddy is publicly lauded, whereas one of the most succesfull managers in our clubs history isn't given much respect from his own fans because we only won the league title with two games to spare this year, despite playing 20 odd games extra over some of our title rivals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    I'm not comparing the two sitautions, just pointing out how funny it is that a gob****e who plays up to so a certain type of person like Roddy is publicly lauded, whereas one of the most succesfull managers in our clubs history isn't given much respect from his own fans because we only won the league title with two games to spare this year, despite playing 20 odd games extra over some of our title rivals.
    I dont know what some of the mongs that go to Rovers want, play good football and win f**k all and they might be happy. we've played good football at times this year and we've grafted too, we've had to play conservative to compete in europe. Our style of play has been successful and at the end of the day thats all that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

:
    It all depends on how much the budget has been increased, and I haven't seen a figure anywhere. Doubling it would be crazy, a 10 or 15 percent increase could be justifiable given the UEFA revenue and prizemoney coming in....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Rovers have played better football in Europe this season than in the league but that's hardly surprising. Even for the games against Sligo and Derry, I thought Rovers were just as positive and attempted to retain the ball, with the exception of the awful 2-0 in Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked
    one of the most succesfull managers in our clubs history isn't given much respect from his own fans because we only won the league title with two games to spare this year, despite playing 20 odd games extra over some of our title rivals.
    Would you prefer if we didn't have those extra 20 games?
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Did you ever consider that the Chairman of the club might know a few truths regarding the budget that you dont? Hence he can make the statment.

There are a 3 or 4 good solid reasons, imo, why and how the budget can/ will be increased. Im sure they will come out when everything is finalised. Until then you keep making your mind up based on tabloid and forum comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by shellyriver View Post

Jaysus lads touchy much??

You didn't even read my point.

I didn't actually comment on the rights or wrongs of actually raising the budget.

By all means raise the budget. But to state publicly that you'll be spending more money at a time when you're looking to sign players strikes me as a bit stupid.

Also, whoever said Sligo made a healthy profit, can you explain how?!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyCakes View Post
    It all depends on how much the budget has been increased, and I haven't seen a figure anywhere. Doubling it would be crazy, a 10 or 15 percent increase could be justifiable given the UEFA revenue and prizemoney coming in....
    They had UEFA revenue and prize money (Cup win, decent league finish) this year too. Not to say they shouldn't be increasing it, but I don't see how they can based on those figures alone.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast