Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Neill 'to quit' Shamrock Rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by born2bwild View Post
    If differences in opinion boil down to MON: "Let me spend more money" Board:"No" etc then this is a good day for the league as a whole.
    If that is the case, I agree. From what I've seen MON has done a good job but if he doesn't want to continue within the finances available, he's right to leave and the club are right to say no. I'm sure MON has a vision for how he wants to bring the club forward. I suppose previous champions have had those visions as well and we all know what's happened them.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sligo could learn a lesson or two from this, like bohs and shels before them... they wont. Rovers baord the leading light for this league, Mon wanting stupid money, knowning what our finacial game is. on your bike son.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I thought he was the bestest manager just EVER?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewie101 View Post
    Sligo could learn a lesson or two from this, like bohs and shels before them... they wont. Rovers baord the leading light for this league, Mon wanting stupid money, knowning what our finacial game is. on your bike son.
    Christ, what would we all do without Shams to show us the way. We at Sligo Rovers simply havent got a clue - please may we take a leaf from your oh so knowledgeable book before we are doomed, doomed I say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover'n'out View Post
    Christ, what would we all do without Shams to show us the way. We at Sligo Rovers simply havent got a clue - please may we take a leaf from your oh so knowledgeable book before we are doomed, doomed I say.
    its not hidden knowledge Sligo have upped their budget for the new season, when your on a budget similar to a team with a much bigger turnover it wont end pretty if you do a "leeds" on it and chase the "dream"... very few clubs seem to be learning that you shouldnt spend on the hope you can win trophies in the near future, which seems to be the policy at Sligo, not a dig, just reality, Cooke is obviously a persuasive character. We're all trying to rid the league of this nonsense, hence the Rovers stance on O'Neil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Part of the reason that our budget has gone up is that we only received monies owed to us from last year's (2010) double cup win and 3rd place finish recently. It's plain and simple, a club receives money, some of it is going to go towards the playing budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Fair play to Shams once again showing everyone how it should be done... The league needs a strong Shamrock.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewie101 View Post
    its not hidden knowledge Sligo have upped their budget for the new season, when your on a budget similar to a team with a much bigger turnover it wont end pretty if you do a "leeds" on it and chase the "dream"... very few clubs seem to be learning that you shouldnt spend on the hope you can win trophies in the near future, which seems to be the policy at Sligo, not a dig, just reality, Cooke is obviously a persuasive character. We're all trying to rid the league of this nonsense, hence the Rovers stance on O'Neil.
    I have to laugh when some Shams supporter seems to think they know what our budget might or should be. The fact is we are not the type of club who bites off more than we can chew. We have had our debt problems in the past but have now paid this debt off. We have a very prudent treasurer and a commitee that knows only too well the perils of over spending. At the beginning of last season we let Boco off because he was looking for a better contract than we could afford and word is we had discussions with Killian Brennan and similarly would not pay the kind of money he was looking for. Apart from our gates, we are a club who are have terrific support from the community of Sligo town, county and beyond so you and other Shams supporters who worry that we are in over our heads should relax. Thanks for your concern but try and concentrate on your own affairs. For what it is worth I could not agree more with you on the policy of not letting a manager overspend beyond a clubs capabilities.

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    179 Posts
    Its quite unbelivable the way some Shams fans think that they are this leading light and every body should just row in behind their lead without question. It must be great for the new Shams fans not to be able to know the lean times but God forbid somthing might go wrong cause ye wont know what to do with yourselves.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    . Here in Russia you have really good coaches and players whose clubs can't pay them (Volga NN no wages for anyone for 6 months, Tom for 7 months - with the club unfunded from January, and on). So if you look at it, the coach will get national champions, playing in CL next year and with money. It might just work.
    TNB has moved to Russia? A bit drastic isn't it?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    O'Neill acting the maggot with contract demands, he kept his options open while the Hibs job was available, they wouldnt give him what he wanted and thankfully neither did our board. Sorry its ended(if it has) this way as MON has been fantastic for the club, but we will move onwards and upwards without him. I'd say himself and magilton may do a double act with the Nordies. Wonder if Paul 'anyone for cheap fags' Cook has sent in his CV yet. Hopefully we will look beyond the usual avenues for a manager, noone left over here capable of continuing on with our onfield success, but im sure we'll have plenty of interest in the job.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by askmehoop View Post
    Wonder if Paul 'anyone for cheap fags' Cook has sent in his CV yet.
    Comedy and/or common sense ain't your strong suit.

Board and O'Neill masters of reverse pyschology -- Tottenham most probably now quaking in their boots of a squad of hungry Shams players.

Seriously disappointed O'Neill has parted ways, Shams just might put out a footballing team in 2012.
    Last edited by A face; 12/12/2011 at 2:20 PM. Reason: Fixed quotes

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think Cook would apply for the job but I wonder if he could resist if he was offered it. He's certainly the best manager left in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I'm sure MON has a vision for how he wants to bring the club forward.
    a very blurry, gee-eyed vision!

Good riddance to him if he goes and Shams dead right to be calling his bluff.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    TNB has moved to Russia? A bit drastic isn't it?
    Well, it is in Siberia - christ, now I'm going to watch their next (if they're still in existence) media conference in case he turns up crying and telling everyone he's done his best. I missed most of TNB's antics last time around, maybe it'll be better on a bigger stage :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Its quite unbelivable the way some Shams fans think that they are this leading light and every body should just row in behind their lead without question. It must be great for the new Shams fans not to be able to know the lean times but God forbid somthing might go wrong cause ye wont know what to do with yourselves.
    Find another bandwagon ?

Much ado about little. shams board offered MON a new contract some time back. He (and/or his representative) felt he was worth more and called their bluff, nothing to do with "prudent" wage structure (except RE managers salary).

MON was very successfull - results wise, but never endeared himself to a section of the shams fanbase. Shams will be recruiting from a strong position and I would not be surprised to see Brian Kerr take over (possibly with Johnny mac in tow).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Personally O'Neill being in charge has diluted some of the pleasure of winning the league/taking part in Europa league this season. Here's one happy Hoop who'll enjoy Christmas a bit more this year.
    And yet Roddy Collins was carried from the pitch by some of our idiot fans after fluking a rare win when he was in charge of us.

Let's hope the new boss does a lot of badge kissing and fawning programme notes.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    Twitter rumours of Paul Doolin taking over. Can't see it personally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Yeah run away from your debt, start building a ground, leave it like a building site complaining you haven't the money to actually build anything and pray the council bails you out. However do they do. The model club.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiocfaidhArmani View Post
    Yeah run away from your debt, start building a ground, leave it like a building site complaining you haven't the money to actually build anything and pray the council bails you out. However do they do. The model club.
    From a shels fan. Seriously?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

24. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast