Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wes Hoolahan

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i hear what everyone is saying but isnt it more prudent for Trappatoni to see what he can do in a flat 4 (or as a wide man where he played a lot before Norwich) instead of assuming that he cant fit a system and therefore doesnt add to the pool of players we already have. If you try it and it doesnt work, good and well, youve learned something, you move on - but if you dont try it at all, well you'll just never know.
    What you're suggesting is trap should trial a fellow in an unfamiliar position he has zero credentials to play in (defensive midfielder) or to trial him as a winger when we're overflooded with wingers and already have the likes of Coleman desperately clamoring for a chance there?

Lets be serious now. Hoolahan cannot play in a 2-man trap midfield and he's probably our 7th choice wide player. In fact possibly 8th come the Euros given the rapid rise Brady is going through. There's no much incentive to trial him anywhere unless we get a string of serious injuries to wide players or he turns into a top tier player overnight. Given that he's almost 30 I don't see that happening.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 21/11/2011 at 3:49 PM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Don't worry about him being 30. That's possibly 2 more campaigns.

We had major injuries going in to the 3 campaigns in 1988, 1990 and 1994. Hopefully, the same won't happen for 2012 but let's not rule Hoolahan out yet.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think he'd be worth having in the squad as a backup to Robbie. Different type of player obviously but if Robbie were unavailable *knock wood*, he could be an option in a 4-4-1-1 just behind the lead striker.

And as mentioned if we're chasing a game and need some offense in the middle why not have him on the bench if we're desperate and need to push for a goal?
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think he'd be worth having in the squad as a backup to Robbie. Different type of player obviously but if Robbie were unavailable *knock wood*, he could be an option in a 4-4-1-1 just behind the lead striker.

And as mentioned if we're chasing a game and need some offense in the middle why not have him on the bench if we're desperate and need to push for a goal?
    I don't think this makes any sense. If we were chasing a goal, why would we play Hoolahan at all? He's not exactly renowned for his goal scoring ability. He would never be included in the squad as backup for Keane or any other striker. That's what Long, Cox, Walters, Best, Keogh, Folan and Stokes are for. If he gets included, it will only ever be as a winger, and I think all of our wide options in the squad are better than him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    I guess someone's watching Norwich. And if Pilkington does go to Anfield in January, he'll have a big Thank You for Wes, I'm sure.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/soccer_irish/65836/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Can one of moderators merge the threads?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Norwich City trio on Republic of Ireland’s watch-list

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich...list_1_1135865
    Republic of Ireland coach Marco Tardelli last night revealed that Norwich City trio Wes Hoolahan, Anthony Pilkington and Marc Tierney are firmly on his international radar.

The former World Cup winner, who was at Carrow Road to see the Canaries take on Arsenal, admitted he and Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni were weighing up all their options with regards to their final 23-man Euro2012 squad.

It leaves the door open for an international return for Hoolahan who won his only senior cap under Trapattoni in 2008 in a friendly against Colombia.

“I know him (Hoolahan) from two or three years ago when we arrived in Ireland. He is a good player, good quality, a skilful player and I think now more experienced than three years ago,” said Tardelli, who has watched Hoolahan become one of the key players in City’s success story.

It’s Hoolahan’s ability to play a creative midfield role or as support to a lone striker in a 4-5-1 formation that works well in his favour.

Clearly, a lot will rest on the 29-year-old Dubliner’s performances for the Canaries if he is to break into the squad as the only international friendly lined up, possibly against England, is in February. The other warm-up matches come too close to the actual tournament for much experimentation.

“He (Hoolahan) can play in midfield but he can also play as the second striker. He sometimes plays in this position for Norwich which I think is good. Having many options is very good because there are many good young players and it is good for the team,” said Tardelli, who as well as weighing up who might feature in the team for the February friendly also admitted the Ireland management keep a constant eye on what goes on at Carrow Road.

He added: “We follow all players and we decide, Giovanni decides, when will be the right moment.

“Maybe it is possible they could play in the friendly but I cannot say for sure. They know that we follow them, if they play everything is possible.”

While all three City players will potentially be hoping to break into the Ireland squad for next year’s Euro Championship Tardelli also admitted he sees the likes of Pilkington, 23, and Tierney, 26, as the future.

Midfielder Pilkington has also worn the green shirt before, winning a solitary Under-21 cap against Lithuania in 2008, while left-back Tierney is also eligible.

“The Norwich team they are good players also Pilkington and Tierney is a good player. For us and the international team it is very good because they are young players for the future.”

The Republic of Ireland, who qualified for their first major finals since the 2002 World Cup, are in the fourth group of seeds alongside Denmark, the Czech Republic and France.

That means they cannot face the French, who knocked them out in a controversial World Cup qualification play-off two years ago, in the group stages.

There will be 16 teams in Poland and Ukraine, divided into four pots for the draw in Kiev on Friday, December 2, at 5pm.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Interesting, I occasionally post the Actim Index Irish players in these threads, I just took a look today and noticed Pilkington and Tierney at places 57 and 56 respectively, I am pretty sure I totally missed them off my list last time, as they were not 'obviously' Irish (to me) either that or they have jumped in at a high position. There are 10 Irish who available to pick in there. Hoolihan is not in there currently but then Duff isn't either.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Pl...rformanceIndex

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123