Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wes Hoolahan

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Am I right in saying the only time we've played 4-3-3 was away to Italy when Folan came on? Have we played 4-5-1 aside from Robbie dropping deep? Otherwise he's put his best players out in the best postition he could. I'd like us to come up with an effective Plan B. Otherwise the other teams could just watch one of our games and figure us out, as Russia did in the Aviva.
    I wouldn't call that a 4-3-3 either. Robbie dropped deep and we played a weird 4-4-2 without a right winger. It wasn't really that successful, all things considered, but we didn't really have a wing option to make it more structured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    explain to me how it is not assuming? Until he sees him up close at practice it is an assumption. With regards to game time for other established squad members, its about seeing what Hoolahan (or anyone in the same position) can do in practice first.

People assumed the same thing about Keith Fahey and they were wrong. He played well in the system when he had the chance at games and now Trap always has him in the squad.
    Trap has already seen Hoolihan up close though and presumably decided he didn't fit the bill. Albeit it was over three years ago, but Hoolihan was part of the squad Trap took to Portugal in May of 2008 for a training camp, was an unused substitute a week or so later in a friendly against Serbia and made his senior international debut in a friendly against Colombia the following week, coming on as a substitute in the second half.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    explain to me how it is not assuming? Until he sees him up close at practice it is an assumption. With regards to game time for other established squad members, its about seeing what Hoolahan (or anyone in the same position) can do in practice first.
    As DI pointed out, Trap has taken a look at him up close. He's more than likely kept an eye on him on him since too (albeit from afar). He's made a judgement on Hoolahan based on what he's seen and a tactical system he knows intrinsically. It's hardly an assumption. And Trap clearly didn't feel similarly about Fahey since he did involve him. Plus Fahey had the advantage of at least playing centre mid for his club - far as I can see, Hoolahan doesn't play centre mid in a flat four (could be wrong, maybe he's played in that position for the odd period here or there, but certainly not regularly).

Trap has to weigh it up - parachute a guy in who presumably he feels won't work in the current system or look at introducing/developing options who will. No assuming there.

Seems to me the manager might as well give O'Shea another go in there on that logic. That might sound facetious but I don't intend it - I just find it bizarre any manager, never mind one as successful as Trapattoni, should buy into 'giving guy's a go'. He clearly has his reasons and they're likely solid ones.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 20/11/2011 at 9:48 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    yes DI definitely set me straight on that. To be honest i totally forgot his involvement at that time (as i suspect you did too) and thought he had just taken part in the B International. Anyway, i think it is a case of me picking my battles - Hoolahan, though i think he warrants another look during our pre tournament friendlies, isnt a "must" from my perspective.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I was only thinking he'd played in the B International too, in fairness, but thought he'd been in a couple of early squads. Nae matter - I more or less agree with you on where he should be in the lead up to next summer.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    How about you join in with the rest of us in not making pointless threads (this is basically the same as this one you made a month ago) and post in the player's usual thread, which I posted in your last daft thread.
    http://foot.ie/threads/58807-Wes-Hoolahan

Alternately, theres a place where you and this sort of off the cuff nonsense would fit right in and I'm sure you'd be more than welcome: www.ybig.ie/forum
    Pointless threads? Daft thread? You clearly haven't a clue about football if you can't see the value in Hoolahan's performances.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    [QUOTE=Murfinator;1554232]I like wes but he wouldn't add anything to our team. He's a 5-man midfield player, we don't play a 5-man midfield. It's as simple as that. The mild clamor for him seems to be from mostly ignorant folk who've conveniently forgotten absolutely every midfield Trap has lined out with in the past 3 years. Just the usual foaming at the mouth brigade because some lad is playing well in the premiership, calling for their call up without any reason or logic as to how they'd operate in the international team.

"Just the usual foaming at the mouth brigade because some lad is playing well in the premiership, calling for their call up without any reason or logic as to how they'd operate in the international team."

You're way off base with that comment. Wes Hoolahan has been class since this time last year at least (at Norwich). I've seen him play his part in pummelling Championship teams (admittedly a level lower than the Prem but we have such players in Trap's team).

Hoolahan has proved himself at the top level in England. He's the playmaker at Norwich. How many other playmakers does Trap have at his disposal? None. I take all the points being made about Trap having his system etc. and I have resigned myself at this stage to thinking that Wes will not make the Euro finals, but it's a crying shame.

We need people who can hold the ball up and make things happen (ie to take the pressure off our overworked defence). I just hope those who find it ok to go to Poland / Ukraine with Whelan and Andrews don't come crying back for Hoolahan when things go wrong. .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Since Trap's fond of idioms pertaining to domestic pets, it's safe to say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. It might let the cat out of the bag.

So in other words: I can't see Trapattoni changing his system for Ireland, meaning Hoolahan's chances are slim. For the Euros at least.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Pointless threads? Daft thread? You clearly haven't a clue about football if you can't see the value in Hoolahan's performances.
    He's not asking you not to share your views, but is asking that you to post your opinions on particular players in the threads specifically designated for them.
    Last edited by The Fly; 21/11/2011 at 6:52 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    So what part of daft and pointless pertains to posting in specific threads?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Eh?

He's asking that you post your opinion of the player in the player's own thread, as opposed to making a new one.

13. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Eh?

He's asking that you post your opinion of the player in the player's own thread, as opposed to making a new one.
    Not quite true. He followed up the telling off about not opening a new thread (with which I agree) with a bit of foot.ie snobbery.

Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Alternately, theres a place where you and this sort of off the cuff nonsense would fit right in and I'm sure you'd be more than welcome: www.ybig.ie/forum
    I saw the highlights of the Arsenal/Norwich game and I found it hard to catch a glimpse of Hoolahan. Like Andy Reid before him, it is hard to see how he'll fit in Trap's system without dumping the long ball. Shame because he looks great on the ball and can pass to his own players from the little I have seen of him.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    id like to see wes get a run in the next few friendlies. he would be a different option. albeit he isnt someone to fit into our current system he could be a different option if needed off the bench.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    If you cast your minds back to when Trap first got the job he was namechecking Greece, a country who had played defensive well organised football well enough to win a Euro Championship, and now that Ireland are playing defensive well organised defensive football and are about to go to a Euro championship what's the chances that he sticks with the tried and tested?
    I can't see anyone new coming in at all, even when managing Italy in Korea part of the criticism after exiting was for sticking too rigidly with the old boys. In a crisis, maybe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think he'll get a chance in the friendlies.

However, I doubt that will be enough to see him in the final squad, too much of a luxury player to fit into Traps system. Doesn't provide any defensive cover.

And for the record, I've liked him as a player since his Shels days and am delighted to see him get his chance in the EPL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    There are players ahead of him in the squad who will get game time in the up coming friendlies, James McCarthy and Seamus Coleman will the sum of Trap's experimenting. David Meyler may have an outside chance of breaking into the squad but unfortunately for Wes I don't see him in the 23 man squad going to Polkraine.
    Carrick United:
    Munster Junior Cup Champions 04,10 & 15, Munster Senior Cup Champions 2011, FAI Juinor Cup Champions 2008
    12 x Waterford Premier League Champions

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The clamour for Hoolahan is premature. Norwich (and their players) are enjoying a nice honeymoon period in the EPL due to pretty low expectations coming in but they will find it increasingly tough and that where you see if Wes & co really have it at this level. It won't be easy for him to force his way into the squad\team nor should it be as we have a successful side right now!! But I think if he does continue to play well over the winter he will get a chance in the friendlies. There is this notion out that Trap is reluctant to try players out, in reality this is complete nonsense. Plenty would have said that Keith Fahy was not Trap's kind of player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Not quite true. He followed up the telling off about not opening a new thread (with which I agree) with a bit of foot.ie snobbery.
    Its not foot.ie snobbery, this place certainly has it faults, its sheer disappointment/anger at what the other site has turned in to. I really don't think I was asking too much seeing as everyone else manages to follow the protocol.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 21/11/2011 at 2:25 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Don't think Wes will even get a chance to impress Trap. He doesn't fit into his perceived view of a central midfield player. Very similar type of player to Andy Reid.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I would be a follower of the 'one true thread per player' belief and won't stray from that by posting an opinion here.

It's besides the point that I haven't seen Wes play since his Shelbourne days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast