Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Trap we trust

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts

In Trap we trust

Just thought we'd begin the run in to the games with a good article (in my opinion) below:

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/7299220/F365-Says

Not everyone will agree with it but it pretty much echoes my sentiments.

Let's hope he's correct.

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a man who has managed AC Milan, Juventus (twice), Inter, Bayern (twice), Fiorentina and Italy. In nearly 1200 games he has lost approximately 230. He has won 23 major titles spread over the continent of Europe. Only Alex Ferguson and Jock Stein have won more trophies. He also had an enormously successful playing career. He has been involved in football for over 50 years at the highest level.

Think about that, those from whom I have heard the error of Trap's ways so vehemently criticised. Twenty years before you were born he was winning major trophies. Again, just really, really, think about that. But your knowledge extends beyond such trivial representations of facts. Sure, statistics can prove anything, right? You have an innate understanding, cultivated through years of five a-side kickarounds down the park, pub teams, astro-turf tournaments and involvement in grassroots football on a hungover Saturday morning, trying not to be kicked up in the air by some mouth-breathing culchie taking a break from the GAA. Let's not forget your commitment to Champ Manager, Pro-Ev, Football365, tabloid sports sections and Match of the Day. Quite the CV.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course, but some opinions are weightier than others, no? I mean, you don't have people taking oaths in court and swearing expert medical testimony because they have the box set of ER and have been to hospital on a number of occasions, both as an observer and active participant in the ins and outs of the healthcare system, do you?

"No, your honour, I have never once practised medicine, per se, but I like to think of myself as a 'student of the profession'."

"Proceed."

No, I'll take my chances with the guy who's been working in the profession for five decades, but thanks anyway sonny. Good hustle.

"Sure, he doesn't know what he's doing, that fella, he's ancient, he's lost it." What's that? Two games away from qualifying for a tournament we have been shy of since 1988, out of a group with Slovakia and Russia which we all believed was an extremely difficult draw from the outset?

"But he can't even speak English." His translator must be one hell of a coach.

"I'm depressed by it all, they can't play football, they don't pass the ball." This is true. Why don't we adopt the Spanish model, move from hoofy-haffa to tika-taka? Even the English get the ball down from time to time. Italy, France, Holland, Germany...come on Trap! Now, after this little bleat, scratch the surface and have a look at the club teams of those squads. Milan, Barca, Madrid, United, Bayern, Ajax, PSV, Juve, Inter, Arsenal, PSG, Liverpool...noticing a pattern here? From clubs and national leagues, these players are trained, from an early age, to play in this particular way. What this means is that a national coach can adopt that style of play and if one or two of his players drop out, he can replace them, more or less, like for like, without having to adapt or restructure his tactics.

Now, take a look at the clubs with the Irish players come from. Wolves, West Brom, Stoke, Leicester, Villa, Blackburn, Celtic for chrissakes. So a national team manager, in this instance Trap, is supposed to break players of decades of habitual football, and inculcate a rhythmic, stylish form of football during the dozen or so training sessions he takes in a year. You see, unlike Germany, we don't have the luxury of going around the Premier League and ordering clubs to train in a particular way as Klinsmann did a few years ago. We have to take what we can get in terms of footballers, and more often than not, they are not the silkiest of brothers.

"Why doesn't he play Coleman, McCarthy and Fahey? They can pass the ball!" This is true. They can, and I would love to see it, but that, in the end, would be a bonehead play. Three, possibly four, if you count McGeady (wait, maybe five or six, I am sure I left out one or two), can get the ball down and pass it. That's around 20 to 25% of the squad. How easy is it to get injured in football? To pick up suspensions? Now, following your theories, knowledge-hoarders of football lore, we have a style of football dictated by the abilities of 20% of the squad, with no-one to replace them if they get injured. No like-for-like here. No tournaments, no green army. But pretty football. Yay. The last manager we had who realised their limitations was Jack Charlton, coinciding with Ireland's greatest period of sustained success.

Eamon Dunphy slithered out the sentence that he would be ashamed to bring a child to watch that kind of football or something to that effect in the aftermath of our qualifying for the play-offs. What would a child take from watching that? Watching 11 men achieve results greater than what is expected of them. Fighting for each other, never giving up, chasing lost causes until the dying minutes, blood and sweat poured into fraternity and the honour of representing their nation. Doing their best with what God has given them and teaching that talent is not something that everyone has, but if you place your trust in others, and you have faith, patience and belief may overcome whatever natural imbalances life has pitted against you. Yeah, Eamon, I'd be ashamed to have those values instilled in my children too. Dead right.

Let us teach them of superficial beauty and the importance of looking good ahead of achieving your dreams through teamwork and the gritting of teeth. See how far that gets them. It's not the Irish way, is it Dunphy? Yes, how very inappropriate for a nation that overcame the might of the largest Empire the world had ever seen on frikkin bicycles. Was it beautiful football in 88 against England? Was it in Italia 90, when we progressed to the quarter-finals without winning a match? Did Ray Houghton score against the Italians in '94 on the back of a sweeping, two-touch move from back to front? Did he f*ck. WAKE UP!!! Support your team. Get behind them.

Those lads are on the brink of achieving something for me and for you that we have been dreaming about since Stuttgart - being there.

Two games more, and we will be. In Trap I trust.

Peadar Clancy
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    The article is just entirely a rant of a pro Trapattoni supporter. If Trapattoni gets us to the Euros then fair play but if he doesn't then au revoir. It's that simple to me anyway.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 10/11/2011 at 7:56 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He will be judged on Tuesday night. If he guides us to the promised land, give him another 2 yrs. If he does not then it's goodbye Trapper. Two failed qualification campaigns is unacceptable. Simple as

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I met Denis Irwin at a work do recently. He was laughing at how Trap was perceived at home, he couldn't believe the criticism.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I dunno.. I wouldn't dare critcize certain thing given his experience and previous record... I think things like his presence at club games over his tenure is fair game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I things like that are seized upon by his critics as a rod to beat him with, and probably over emphasised in the grand scheme of things
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Nah!! It's the reason why he was slow to introduce players he later leaned on when he actually got to see them first hand.. Lawrence for example.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    there is no excuse for an international manager not watching players/possible call ups playing in the flesh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Is it just me or is the standard of English plummeting on this site of late? I almost broke into a sweat trying to decipher some of these posts. The quality of posts are consistently higher on Foot.ie compared with YBIG, which is why I don't really bother with the latter. Perhaps it's just me in my tired state

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Is it just me or is the standard of English plummeting on this site of late? I almost broke into a sweat trying to decipher some of these posts. The quality of posts are consistently higher on Foot.ie compared with YBIG, which is why I don't really bother with the latter. Perhaps it's just me in my tired state
    wat r these comets mean lol tb x

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'm sympathetic to Dr P's comment, but I think what Dinny Irwin was referring to was that we are criticising the lack of artistic merit.

I love how an afrointroductions.com "African dating & singles" ad comes up when joe_d types in bad English.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I love how an afrointroductions.com "African dating & singles" ad comes up when joe_d types in bad English.
    I think that's just your computer Stutts, the adverts coming up for me are 'Virgin' and 'Mini'. I wouldn't read anything into it.....

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I don't understand how this intelligent advertising thing recognises that I'm interesting in fertile females of any race with big boobs. Is that how Mike Lynch made his $800mm from Autonomy?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Given Walters has been ever present all year for Stoke ye'd wonder if Trap had frequented the Britania once or twice would he have this selection dilemma?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Is it a dilemma or is he playing mind games with Estonia?

Trap knows full well the merits of each. Cox has had more pitch time than Walters for us simply because he has always been fit or not expecting a new family member.

I take your point, but equally I think it's stretching it to think he doesn't know exactly what each player brings to the party.

That said, I'm fully expecting Walters and would be disappointed otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    and wasn't Walters on fire!!! (tache or no tache!) :-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Two year contract for Trap. It's not for discussion anymore.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koneinc View Post
    and wasn't Walters on fire!!! (tache or no tache!) :-)
    Without the 'stache he was on fire, with it he was flaming
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Without the 'stache he was on fire, with it he was flaming
    sweet jesus, where do we go from here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I dunno, i just think we could have really done with Andy Reid last night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast