Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland's 23 man squad for Euro 2012

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Bit harsh putting Kenny in there. Also it's funny how about a year ago we'd be desperate for someone like Campbell to come in and now we have too many good strikers in the prem!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's amazing to think we could go into the Euros with 4 strikers starting in the Premier League and Robbie in MLS. How times change.
    On Newstalk this afternoon, it was mentioned that stubborn and all as Jack was, he was still flexible enough to change his system to a 5 man midfield at USA94.
    What they neglected to consider was, that Jack had little option with only Tommy Coyne and Aldo available.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    On Newstalk this afternoon, it was mentioned that stubborn and all as Jack was, he was still flexible enough to change his system to a 5 man midfield at USA94.
    What they neglected to consider was, that Jack had little option with only Tommy Coyne and Aldo available.
    John Sheridan, Roy Keane, and Andy Townsend - not a bad three-man central midfield. If Niall Quinn hadn't been injured then of course he would have played every minute of every match. The question is, who would have played up front with him? I still think that Charlton would have gone to the five man midfield anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Lonergan, McCarthy, Kenny

Naughton, Stearman, Pearce, Ferdinand, Chambers, Gerrard, Connolly, Tierney

Pennant, Ambrose, O'Hara, Noble, Maguire, Ireland, Shelvey, Hammill

Wickham, Campbell, Pilkington, Jutkiewicz
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    Bit harsh putting Kenny in there. Also it's funny how about a year ago we'd be desperate for someone like Campbell to come in and now we have too many good strikers in the prem!
    I'm surely having one of my more denser moments here but for the life of me I can't place who this fella might be..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Christ.. Must be a joke going on between the two of them or something. Sure didn't Meyler 'tweet' something sarcastic when Pennant's eligibility was being touted a while back?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    How many friendly games total will we have between now (excluding tuesday) and the squad announcement in May?

Don't really see there being time to bring guys out of nowhere. I think the experimenting will involve the likes of Coleman, Mccarthy. Even potentially important players like Ward, Gibson, Fahey, Walters, Westwood etc are relatively inexperienced and could do with the gametime.
    Last edited by Murfinator; 13/11/2011 at 1:09 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    G - Given, Westwood, Forde
    D - Dunne, St Ledger, Ward, O'Shea, Kelly, O'Dea, Foley
    M - Whelan, Andrews, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey, Coleman, Gibson
    F - Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters, Cox

I have a feeling Trap will go without an out-and-out LB cover, plump for five strikers and stick with Gibson over McCarthy but bring Coleman over Lawrence. Still eight months for these guys to play themselves in or out of the squad.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    just looking through the squad lists people have put up here has made me realise that no matter what squad is picked there will be controversial exclusions. The squad really has improved in Traps time
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I sincerely think that if Meyler can manage 15-20 starts between now and then that he'll make the squad.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    How many games did Steven Reid play for us before WC2002? Did he ever start for us in that World Cup? How many games did he appear in? It was nearly all of them, right?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    John Sheridan, Roy Keane, and Andy Townsend - not a bad three-man central midfield. If Niall Quinn hadn't been injured then of course he would have played every minute of every match. The question is, who would have played up front with him? I still think that Charlton would have gone to the five man midfield anyway.
    Jack had gone for Quinn and Aldo against Spain and home/away against Denmark.
    In the home game against Spain he played 5 at midfield and started Quinn on his own, Aldo was injured.
    If both Quinn and Aldo had been fit at USA 94, it's not likely that Jack would have started with 5 at midfield.
    It was when circumstances dictated, then Jack would appear flexible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Did that 5 man midfield + Coyne make its first appearance in the 1-0 friendly win over Holland?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    It's pretty silly to be making guessed at the squads at this stage. What about Leon Best? Flying at the minute, if his form continues until the end of the season Trap would be a fool to leave him out, putting in Cox who is getting no game time and looking like getting very little for the season.
    Seamus Coleman is one of the most promising young Irish players in a long time, him along with McCarthy have very big seasons ahead of them with the Euros in mind.
    Could yet see the likes of Jamie O'Hara making himself available for Ireland after realising he won't get into the England squad.
    The likes of Enda Stevens could force his way into the Villa first team, leaving the option for Trap to bring a decent left back.

There are so so many options, and to stick with Championship players and journeymen ahead of these players playing week in -week out in the premiership would be fairly criminal if we have any aspirations of getting somewhere in the Euros. Sure it would be nice to stick with the starting 11 that got us there in the first place, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Theres 8 months to sort out a good starting 11. There is a game on Tuesday worth experimenting with a few players and it should start from there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    If the tournament was next month I'd say that'd be substantially right. I have a sneaking suspicion Andy Keogh would find a place though.

Of course I reckon not everyone will be fit.

Others who'll be in with a shout are:

- Hoolahan
    - Best
    - Meyler
    - McCarthy
    - Clark

(those 5 being those with the most to play for I reckon)

Then:

- Cunningham
    - Stokes
    - Treacy
    - Delaney
    - Lawrence

I think Trap will be in charge for WC14 campaign so will have an eye on youth, so favouring Coleman over Lawrence for example, and Clark or Cunningham over Delaney.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    This is fun!I doubt Foley will make it which is a shame cause he has been unbeleviably loyal but Coleman has the advantage of been able to cover right back even if Trap does not fancy him so cant see logic in having foley. That frees up spot to take McCarthy. If clark can get starting at villa he might take O Dea s spot been more versatile although O dea has done great for us. Im not convinced Cox will be able to fight off best, stokes and maybe even Brady if he does not play a bit more. I think it looks a strong squad and hopefully Gibson is on the fone to his agent getting a move out of utd as we speak!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Given & Westwood + 1

Kelly, O'Shea, Dunne, Sledge, Ward
    McGeady, Whelan, Andrews, Duff, Hunt, Fahey,
    Keane, Cox, Long, Doyle, Walters

That leaves 4 places.

After that it's anyones guess. One place maybe between O'Dea, Clarke and maybe Marc Wilson as cover for left back. Another maybe as cover for McGeady, probably between McCarthy, Lawrence & Coleman, though Trap might consider Walters as cover for right midfield.

I can't get it out of my head that there is no obvious replacement for Whelan. I know there has been a bit of drama in the past but if bridges can be built in the next few months I think Marc Wilson could end up on the plane. His ability to play in midfield and right across the back 4 must give him a chance.

Trap took 6 strikers to both the Euro's and WC when he was Italy boss. So Best might have a chance.

It's a punt but I'm going to say Wilson, McCarthy, Coleman & O'Dea
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Talking

I don't really rate Best from what i've seen. I think he's on a Michael rickets/Marcus Stewart/Richie Humphries style scoring steak at the top level but that his level is actually below that..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    David Kelly and Tony Cascarino too (both of whom made appearances in the tournament)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Best has no USP (unique selling point), in marketing terms. He's a good player but not as good as Doyle & Walters who play a similar role.

I think O'Dea is nailed on. He stepped up to the plate and delivered when it counted.

Foley might struggle, but I don't see how Liam can claim he's been "unbelievably loyal". I see what you're saying but turning up when selected is the least you'd expect. OK, some haven't even given that much but still...

I forgot that Joey O'Brien might have something to play for too, though I reckon he's 4th choice RB.

A B international would be very interesting & worthwhile.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast