Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff Hendrick M Sheffield Wednesday (loan from Newcastle) b.1992

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    One would assume Burnley are a bit strapped for cash, or are they planning on getting better players?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    O, Roma, Roma, wherefore art thou, Roma?

We live in hope! If not Serie A, at least for a decent ball playing team that gets the best from him.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    He should leave England.

Might be a nice player for the likes of Ajax or PSV. They could take a punt on him...

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    You've never given an employer notice and immediately went on holiday? (And this is their normal holiday period!) You've never swung the lead on your last week at a job?

What's your point here? They should have signed for someone else and spent the last six months swinging the lead? I doubt it does much for a player's motivation to perform at an elite level if he knows he's leaving. The club has had years to negotiate a new contract; they haven't.

6 days left vs 90 days is a 1500% difference.

Three months of access to an elite sports club's medical staff and facilities, and three months to recover before potentially failing a fitness test for a contract worth millions of quid. What do you want from Hendrick? Go out an bust a nut and risk millions for a company that's told him they don't rate him enough to pay him what he's worth?

Notions of honour and all that are all well and good, but a wealthy corporation doesn't give a **** about you any more than they are required by law to. Some of that comes back around once in a while.

I know all about working for wealthy corporations who don't care about their employees and I've never been one to question any play making a move for more money. I understand how the financial side of the game is played, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone, least of all a hometown hero like Jeff Hendrick, from maximizing his income over what is a short career for even the best players.

However, with that said, he signed a contract until June 30, not May 5, and I don't think Burnley are out of order expecting him to play until his contract is up. July 1? Sure, no problem, he's not under contract and is under no obligation to turn out for them. If he gets injured playing in a couple of meaningless matches for them, that's the risk you take when you decide to run down your deal instead of signing a pre-contract agreement. That's a choice he and his agent made and he should have to live with the consequences. Refusing to play for a club that has paid you millions of pounds over the last four years whilst still under a legal contract to them is disgraceful. It would be no different than a club not paying him because the matches were suspended due to COVID-19. They were under obligation to pay him whether the matches were played or not, and they paid him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I know all about working for wealthy corporations who don't care about their employees and I've never been one to question any play making a move for more money. I understand how the financial side of the game is played, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone, least of all a hometown hero like Jeff Hendrick, from maximizing his income over what is a short career for even the best players.

However, with that said, he signed a contract until June 30, not May 5, and I don't think Burnley are out of order expecting him to play until his contract is up. July 1? Sure, no problem, he's not under contract and is under no obligation to turn out for them. If he gets injured playing in a couple of meaningless matches for them, that's the risk you take when you decide to run down your deal instead of signing a pre-contract agreement. That's a choice he and his agent made and he should have to live with the consequences. Refusing to play for a club that has paid you millions of pounds over the last four years whilst still under a legal contract to them is disgraceful. It would be no different than a club not paying him because the matches were suspended due to COVID-19. They were under obligation to pay him whether the matches were played or not, and they paid him.
    Stop on.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I don't think any of us know what has resulted in Hendrick leaving the club a week or two early. It may not even have been his decision to do so. Burnley have nothing to play for.

It is clear from Dyche's comments that Dyche is very unhappy with the situation. Who is to say that he didn't tell Hendrick to bugger off and that he wasn't part of his medium or long term plans so he may as well not be part of his short term plans?

However, some have reverted to the reliable narrative that a selfish and rich footballer is being disrespectful to an establishment as usual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    He should leave England.

Might be a nice player for the likes of Ajax or PSV. They could take a punt on him...
    Why would he go from almost £40k a week to likely half, and in a woeful league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    pretty much guaranteed european football every season, challenging for at least one medal in the domestic season, and a much higher profile?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Is he in fact an Upper championship level player. His recent form would suggest that .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    pretty much guaranteed european football every season, challenging for at least one medal in the domestic season, and a much higher profile?
    Ajax aside, don't see PSV players as attracting a higher profile. Dusan Tadic is the last good player I recall going over there from the English Premier League.

I think he'll end up at another bottom 10 club in the Premier League. Could see him at Villa, even if they go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Is he in fact an Upper championship level player. His recent form would suggest that .
    really? he has started 22 of burnleys 28 games before the shut down and chipped in with a few goals for a decent mid table EPL team.
    Most media comments I have seen suggest he will be a loss for Burnley.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    really? he has started 22 of burnleys 28 games before the shut down and chipped in with a few goals for a decent mid table EPL team.
    Yes, and 22 of the last 23 since he won his place back in the side. The only one he missed was through suspension. I don't watch Burnley very often but he must be doing something right, in Dyche's eyes at least. I also think this starry eyed notion of our players dropping to the Dutch league is a bit unrealistic. Serie A though, that's a different story.

You'd imagine himself and his agent must believe they have very good options, if he's willing to give up regular football for a stable PL club. Either that or Burnley's offer was way below their own expectations.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    His Irish form suggests otherwise. How hard did Burnley try to keep him ? ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    His Irish form suggests otherwise. How hard did Burnley try to keep him ? ?
    Offering him a new deal is trying to keep him. His manager said he wanted to keep him, they could have just let him go if they weren't bothered. His Irish form is irrelevant really, and it's not like many of our other players have been setting the world on fire for us either, he's one of many we know can do better.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 25/06/2020 at 11:52 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Offering him a new deal is trying to keep him. His manager said he wanted to keep him, they could have just let him go if they weren't bothered. His Irish form is irrelevant really, and it's not like many of our other players have been setting the world on fire for us either, he's one of many we know can do better.
    Its not as if we will really find out but I wonder how hard Burnley did try to keep him.

Anyway in a case like this lets see the quality of Club that wants to sign him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He had a good season with Burnley. As a free agent, I'd say he already has a better offer from elsewhere which presumably would include a signing on fee.
    He's not a gamble signing like McCarthy was for Palace.
    It's hard to tell what Burnley's bean counters are doing, whether it's par for the course or just poor business to let players like Hendrick go on a free or not offer a good enough contract.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Could see him at Villa, even if they go down.
    Would hope not Villa already have Grealish, Hourihane, Douglas Luiz and John McGinn in there and despite that are bleedin’ crap. Would not be a good move imo I am not convinced by Smith/Terry’s ability to get anything like the max out of talent at their disposal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    Ajax aside, don't see PSV players as attracting a higher profile. Dusan Tadic is the last good player I recall going over there from the English Premier League.

I think he'll end up at another bottom 10 club in the Premier League. Could see him at Villa, even if they go down.
    Dusan Tadic became twice the player he is when he went to Ajax. He could finally start playing football...

The English leagues of attrition have been destroying our best players for decades.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    An article in a paper called Calciomercato, mentions the remote Roma interest in Jeff, also mentions 'born in Dublin a strong catholic'.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    Would be interesting to see what would happen if one of the teams at the bottom signed him now.

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast