Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Irish World Cup matches rigged

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts

Irish World Cup matches rigged

World Cup qualification matches may have been fixed by the international gambling syndicate at the centre of the British football scandal.
    The alleged fixer arrested earlier this week claimed he fixed World Cup games and matches in Europe and Australia.
    During a secretly recorded meeting earlier this month, he said “I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier”

“I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier,” he said.

Today in the Daily Telegraph
    Last edited by Paddy Garcia; 28/11/2013 at 7:18 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    That would explain a lot!!
    Spain certainly seemed to lay off the gas once they were 4-0 up.

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Sure he did.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    That would explain a lot!!
    Spain certainly seemed to lay off the gas once they were 4-0 up.
    Except that was in the Euros

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Jack was fond of a few bob. Maybe this explains the "Harry's Challenge".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The quote's very general and ambiguous. It doesn't specifiy that the Irish games he's claimed to have rigged were actually in competition.

I'd also imagine that such a dubious character might well be prone to talking a fair amount of sh*te.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Let's hope it's true though...

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Wait a second...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    During a secretly recorded meeting earlier this month, he said “I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier”

“I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier,” he said.
    ...Trap?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Could this not be about football games in Ireland?
    For instance that dodgy looking game where Shels were beaten by Sheriff, in the cup?
    There were some weird bets on Shels to be ahead at half time and behind at the final whistle. And Shels happen to get through to the next round on a (Shels style) objection.
    Looked bad on paper, but if there really was a sting, I think we would have heard more about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Could this not be about football games in Ireland?
    Exactly. Not that we can necessarily assume his casually extravagant claims to be true either even if he was referring to club matches within Ireland, mind.

Some more on it here: http://balls.ie/football/ireland-amo...fixing-claims/

Quote Originally Posted by Balls.ie
    The match fixing allegations that came to head in the UK over the last few days implicated Ireland after the alleged match fixer told an undercover investigator ‘I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier.’

However as reported by RTÉ, the FAI has reiterated that there is no evidence of Irish football in the current investigation by the National Crime Agency in the UK.

They said, ‘We have regular contact with this issue with Uefa, Europol and Interpol and none of them have indicated any Irish connection at this stage.’

The Irish Independent spoke to Minister for Sport, Michael Ring TD, who said:

‘Match-fixing in any sport is a hugely serious issue and it must be addressed immediately if discovered in an Irish context. The Department of Sport has spoken to the FAI which confirmed that no issues have been raised about such activity in Ireland by Europol, Interpol or UEFA.

‘However, should any evidence emerge to the contrary, the Government will provide immediate assistance. We will not tolerate this in Irish sport.’

Meanwhile The Telegraph reports that at least four of the six people arrested in the UK in relation to the match fixing allgeations were released on bail yesterday.
    There was also this in the Irish Independent, from were Balls.ie sourced their info: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-29794070.html

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Independent
    Sports Minister Michael Ring told the Irish Independent: "Match-fixing in any sport is a hugely serious issue and it must be addressed immediately if discovered in an Irish context. The Department of Sport has spoken to the FAI which confirmed that no issues have been raised about such activity in Ireland by Europol, Interpol or UEFA.

"However, should any evidence emerge to the contrary, the Government will provide immediate assistance. We will not tolerate this in Irish sport."

The FAI earlier spoke with officials at the English FA after Ireland was brought into the discussion about match-fixing. "The FA told us they don't believe there is Irish involvement at this stage, but we'll have to keep an eye on it and watch it," said a spokesperson from the FAI.

In recent years, the Irish football authorities have worked closely with UEFA, FIFA and Interpol as part of the global attempt to curb the influence of betting.

Several League of Ireland games have come under suspicion, with the authorities conscious that large amounts of money are being staked on Irish football from abroad.

They are in regular contact with a special Interpol unit concentrating solely on the issue, but are waiting for more information to emerge from the latest allegations.

The 'Daily Telegraph' launched an investigation into match fixing after being approached by an investigator with links to FIFA who said that English games were being targeted by Asian betting syndicates.

Material collected by the newspaper was handed to the UK police earlier this month.

The alleged fixer arrested earlier this week had claimed that he had "bought" World Cup games as well as matches in Europe and Australia.

During undercover meetings recorded in Manchester, the fixer told a former FIFA investigator that he could pay referees and players to manipulate the results of games. And during the course of the conversations about English matches, the fixer also said he could rig matches "all over" the world -- except in Singapore where the penalties are very high.

"I do Australia, Scotland. Ireland. Europe. World Cup. World Cup qualifier," he said.

"What, the World Cup?", asked the investigator.

"At least, at least 15," the alleged fixer claimed. "I bought the match."

The Singaporean national claimed that he controlled one African country's "whole team".

The fixer said he worked closely with a registered FIFA agent, which meant he could organise matches throughout the world.

In a series of secretly recorded conversations in England, the alleged fixer was asked how the trade worked.

"I'm (the) one who's sending money... he can organise any match around the world ... .that's the reason why I say I can organise any game, any tournament ... " In a later meeting, the fixer boasted about the teams he could use to control matches in Europe. "I got team in Belgium. France as well I got," said the alleged fixer.

"Good teams. Their country, most of these place their salaries are very low... Germany, the players, they pay high ... France not so high. Very moderate. But Finland, Belgium, Sweden, all everybody all [earn] very less."

Northern Ireland's Jim Boyce, the vice president of FIFA, said: "FIFA is fully aware match-fixing is a very serious problem and is one that has to be tackled at the very highest level. Anyone found guilty will be banned for life -- there's absolutely no doubt about that.

"FIFA has many investigators working throughout the world to try to erode the game of this cancer. It has got to be stamped out."

Bookies Paddy Power told the Irish Independent that an Ireland World Cup game could attract hundreds of thousands of euros in bets.

But unusual betting patterns -- the first sign that "a fix " is on -- are very rare in this country. "If there is something unusual, even something small which sometimes happens, we report our concerns to the European Sports Security Association (ESSA)."

But he said that betting on Irish football is small in terms of their overall business.However, the revelations of match fixing revealed in the last 48 hours were a wake up call for the sport. "We would hope that the book is thrown at these people. Integrity in sport is a cornerstone of our business," he said.