Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I guarantee you the majority of people think you're taking the **** and are talking about Brian.
    Clearly they know even less about soccer than even the average ManU 'fan'/'barstooler', then...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Trap is irreplaceable, that's a fact!
    Prior to the Euros everyone was slapping on the back, now because we lost to, two the the finalists and a Croatian side that were close to going all the way too. Everyone is now stabbing Mr Trapattoni in the back.

Shameful response! Not helped by the mindless hacks in the media.

So who could we get to do the job better? No one is the answer!

Time for everyone to shut up and put up!

No doubt it will be all doom and gloom as we have Germany next and most say we have no chance.

I actually think its a game we can and will win.

Never write the Irish off?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    The hysteria is a bit ridiculous, there was immense pressure on the FAI to renew Trap's contract just...what was it, 6 months ago? Had the FAI let it expire and hired the fellow who had just got sacked from the worst team in the EPL I cannot imagine the ruckus there'd have been from supporters. They'd probably be picketing the FAI offices in such disgust.

Since then we got zero points as everyone expected in the Euros and won our first game in the World cup campaign doing respectably in friendlies in the meanwhile. If he were sacked right now it would be viewed as the most farcical dismissing in the history of international soccer, the world would be laughing at us.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Brian Mc Dermott has done excellent work at Reading.

Trap has been a fantastic manager in the past. He had a tough job sorting out the mess after Staunton and qualifying us for the Euros was fantastic. I think though that a lot of people would admit that we qualified inspite of some terrible performances through out the group stages, and had we been drawn against teams of the level of Estonia in other play offs we would have been at more major championships.

During the Euros there were so many interviews with players where they talked about the fantastic opposition they were up against and almost a case of "what did ya expect" when we were beaten. It was almost like it had been drilled into them that they were inferior before the tournament even started. Yes, we lost against the two finalists , and they were brilliant( especially the Spanish) but I dont believe that Croatia are that far ahead of us. Yet we were lacking the one think throughout the three games that has always been second nature to any Irish team, fight! Im not saying that the players didnt try, but to nowhere near the levels that we have become used to in the past and they looked like a beaten team from kick off.

The constant "miscommunications" have gotten beyond a joke at this point. This week we had Trap saying McClean was ill only for McClean to say he wasnt. After the Serbia game Trap said Long wasnt fit only for Long to say he was. These are only the latest two, we've had issues with Stokes, Best, Wilson, Foley, McCarthy,Clarke amongst others. Even though I know some of these were not the managers fault it happens too often for him not to take a lot of responibility.I dont think a lot of these issues with players would happen if he actually spend his weekends travelling to watch players play and meeting up with them for a chat after these games.

His selections are becoming increasingly erratic too. Last night seeing 3 different strikers playing on the wing when he had 2 premiership wingers sitting on the bench was the latest in a long line of frustrating selections. John O Shea said only recently that his days playing at right back are done because he doesnt have the pace but yet continues to be selected there instead of his much better position of Center half. His baffling selection of Paul Green during the euro has (rightly or wrongly on the players part) cost us Darron Gibson who is developing into an excellent player in a position we are short. These are just the most recent in a long line of frustrating decisons that have seen the likes of Cillian Sheridan, Liam Miller, Andy Keogh, Paul McShane and Calleb Folan selected regularly in Traps squads and even starting when better players have been left on the bench or out of the squad completely.

I think its pretty obvious that Trap doesnt trust the Irish players abilities to play football and so we end up with the long ball to the front that we seen time and again last night. Id love to know what he does on the training pitch. I have images of the defenders just having competitions to see who can kick the ball the longest. We are consistantly tactically inept and it really isnt good enough from a manager who is paid so highly.

Last night on RTE Brady nearly came out with the usual rubbish we heard from the Joe Duffy callers after Staunton was sacked... we dont have the players and who else would ya get.Theres lots of managers in the world game that would take the job. No body would have thought about Trap before we suddenly went and got him.The likes of Martinez, Lambert, and Rogers proved just last season in the Premiership that you dont have to have a team of superstars to be tactically good, play decent football and get good results.... Christ we have a small pool of players so the first job for any manager would be not to fall out with so many of them.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

6. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Brian Mc Dermott has done excellent work at Reading.

Trap has been a fantastic manager in the past. He had a tough job sorting out the mess after Staunton and qualifying us for the Euros was fantastic. I think though that a lot of people would admit that we qualified inspite of some terrible performances through out the group stages, and had we been drawn against teams of the level of Estonia in other play offs we would have been at more major championships.

During the Euros there were so many interviews with players where they talked about the fantastic opposition they were up against and almost a case of "what did ya expect" when we were beaten. It was almost like it had been drilled into them that they were inferior before the tournament even started. Yes, we lost against the two finalists , and they were brilliant( especially the Spanish) but I dont believe that Croatia are that far ahead of us. Yet we were lacking the one think throughout the three games that has always been second nature to any Irish team, fight! Im not saying that the players didnt try, but to nowhere near the levels that we have become used to in the past and they looked like a beaten team from kick off.

The constant "miscommunications" have gotten beyond a joke at this point. This week we had Trap saying McClean was ill only for McClean to say he wasnt. After the Serbia game Trap said Long wasnt fit only for Long to say he was. These are only the latest two, we've had issues with Stokes, Best, Wilson, Foley, McCarthy,Clarke amongst others. Even though I know some of these were not the managers fault it happens too often for him not to take a lot of responibility.I dont think a lot of these issues with players would happen if he actually spend his weekends travelling to watch players play and meeting up with them for a chat after these games.

His selections are becoming increasingly erratic too. Last night seeing 3 different strikers playing on the wing when he had 2 premiership wingers sitting on the bench was the latest in a long line of frustrating selections. John O Shea said only recently that his days playing at right back are done because he doesnt have the pace but yet continues to be selected there instead of his much better position of Center half. His baffling selection of Paul Green during the euro has (rightly or wrongly on the players part) cost us Darron Gibson who is developing into an excellent player in a position we are short. These are just the most recent in a long line of frustrating decisons that have seen the likes of Cillian Sheridan, Liam Miller, Andy Keogh, Paul McShane and Calleb Folan selected regularly in Traps squads and even starting when better players have been left on the bench or out of the squad completely.

I think its pretty obvious that Trap doesnt trust the Irish players abilities to play football and so we end up with the long ball to the front that we seen time and again last night. Id love to know what he does on the training pitch. I have images of the defenders just having competitions to see who can kick the ball the longest. We are consistantly tactically inept and it really isnt good enough from a manager who is paid so highly.

Last night on RTE Brady nearly came out with the usual rubbish we heard from the Joe Duffy callers after Staunton was sacked... we dont have the players and who else would ya get.Theres lots of managers in the world game that would take the job. No body would have thought about Trap before we suddenly went and got him.The likes of Martinez, Lambert, and Rogers proved just last season in the Premiership that you dont have to have a team of superstars to be tactically good, play decent football and get good results.... Christ we have a small pool of players so the first job for any manager would be not to fall out with so many of them.
    Great post. Have to say I agree with all of that.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Yes, but no chance McDermott will take the Irish job at this stage. He'd be looking for another 5-10 years in club management first surely...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Yes, but no chance McDermott will take the Irish job at this stage. He'd be looking for another 5-10 years in club management first surely...
    My point was really that we can look outside of McCarthy, Keane or O'Leary for options.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    No. But your just a troll.
    What day shall I expect his dismissal if you're so adamant he won't be here next month. I don't want to miss the news story when it breaks.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    I said it before and say it again, His Royal Highness Lord Anthony O'Reilly, the answer to all Ireland's ills. He was a young rugby star don't you know. He'd have INM and RTE eating out of his toe cracks (jam and all) and he'd quickly move to appoint Eoghan Harris as media relations officer (with a focus on RTE, since they rejected him), Richard Sadlier as chief footstool (and player masseur) and Laughing Bill as chief toadstool (and junior media relations intern). Okay, with the new Indo editor it might be a bit tricky, but Neon Dion will make sure the new regime get top billing, so too with Dan the Man, while over in the Heddild the "inspired" decision by HRH to reside on the mainland means he can take in all the Premiership matches he needs, as well as 6 Nations and Autumn internationals. Gotta love Ireland. Can't way for Joooooeeee Duffy! on Monday.
    What in the name of divine Jesus are you on about?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    These two are looking for a new job apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Rafa Benitez?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Rafa Benitez?
    Why would he even consider taking the job?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    A conservative eccentric manager is hardly what we need to replace a conservative eccentric manager.

Personally, whenever the time comes to replace our manager I'd like an Irishman. I know it's naive but I think international football should be about one country's football culture versus another's. It just feels more appropriate to me.

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    A conservative eccentric manager is hardly what we need to replace a conservative eccentric manager.

Personally, whenever the time comes to replace our manager I'd like an Irishman. I know it's naive but I think international football should be about one country's football culture versus another's. It just feels more appropriate to me.
    What football culture? We have no players who play at home and half our squad weren't even born here. Our squad is a patchy representation of the country at best. We're in no position for having ideological requirements from our manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I'm not ready to call time on Trap yet, but if he were to go for whatever reason Benitez would be the last person I would want anywhere near our national team.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    What in the name of divine Jesus are you on about?
    BS - I should have written wait not way (for Joe Duffy).

You know how it is, INM have been leading the charge against Trap since the battle heated up between the O'Reillys and O'Brien, the reporters have been nodding dogs for their master and it's just because more ridiculous.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    The reason I mentioned Benitez is that he is available. Decent track record but would mean the end of Keane's international career!

McCarthy, O'Leary & Tardelli with Brady are the other options. The Irish managers in the PL like Hughton & McDermott are unlikely to be tempted just yet. Struggling to think of anybody else.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I know there's a thread on Pat Walker here from the post-Stan search days, but a couple of lads from this forum got one of the tabloids to run a feature on him in an attempt to get the holy trinity to interview him. I've been searching for that article but can't find it. It wasn't a link, rather a picture file scanned from the article. If anyone can dig it up I'd be grateful. I've tried the advanced search but got nothing. It might be buried in a 100 page "who next?" thread.

I'm not saying he's the answer to our prayers, it's more for my own personal research. Thanks.

26. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Lose the predictive text function spud

28. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast