Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1477

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Ottmar Hitzfield is leaving the Swiss Job after the world cup - to take up a tv position - could we wait till then? (i know, I know!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    As soon as McCarthy, if he gets the job, puts out his first unusual selection, the RTE panel will tear him to shreds and it will go downhill from there. In other words, the RTE panel want to pick the team and want to pick the formation and want their favorite players in, and if the manager doesn't go along with it, they start the usual Giles-Dunphy tag-team antics.

The truth is whatever an Irish manager does, Giles-Dunphy will make sure to take the opposing view, usually for the sake of it, particularly Dunphy, a man who never managed anywhere.

You could bring in Pep Guardiola as manager and Dunphy would be saying he knows nothing, not a great manager, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm not a knocker of Keane. Do the Germans consider Der Bomber to be their greatest ever player? or Klose?
    What about Linekar for England? I don't believe so.

Is Robbie our greatest striker ever? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
    I think only one person here has concluded that Robbie is the greatest irish player ever in his opinion. It's not off the wall that some people will reach that conclusion. I think he's top 3 and a living (playing) legend.

On the Holland result, listen to McCarthy after the game. Happy with the performance, disappointed to have thrown away a two goal lead, relieved not to have lost but not unhappy to leave Amsterdam with a point. I think what you see from the players is a combination of all the emotions McCarthy listed, with Roy focussing more on the disappointment.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    That's it. I'm not posting here any more. You are freaking me out.
    How so?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Ottmar Hitzfield is leaving the Swiss Job after the world cup - to take up a tv position - could we wait till then? (i know, I know!)
    A Swiss fan suggested him on the other thread, would take him for the Euros in the absence of any other credible candidate, but isn't he looking towards retirement?
    Though a mere decade younger than Trap! And we won't have any vital matches for another year, probably...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottmar_Hitzfeld

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't think we will wait that long but Hitzfield would be a catch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    If I'm not mistaken Hitzfield said he's retiring. Suppose Denis O'Brien can drive a rubbish truck full of money up to his house, see what happens.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I Said a few posts back that I'm starting to veer towards Roy Keane. I've noticed that a few more hacks are starting to mention him more. Probably because O'Neill and McCarthy are looking less likely and no continental candidate stands out.

I think we can over complicate things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together a modern football unit from the decent players we have. Trap didn't adhere to modern whereas King did but overthought things. I think the selection panel could overthink the process too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wouldn't want Roy Keane as manager, he would be the under-thought appointment.
    No problem though with bringing him in to be a part of the set up or the u21 set up and see how he shapes up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I Said a few posts back that I'm starting to veer towards Roy Keane. I've noticed that a few more hacks are starting to mention him more. Probably because O'Neill and McCarthy are looking less likely and no continental candidate stands out.

I think we can over complicate things. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put together a modern football unit from the decent players we have. Trap didn't adhere to modern whereas King did but overthought things. I think the selection panel could overthink the process too.
    Not if they choose RMK. Some people would want him to lose every game and make Trap and his predecessors look like a positive 'love-in'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    A lot of the other candidates have slowly been removed from the equation and I still think that if O'Neill wanted the job right now, he'd have it. Therefore, he doesn't want it right now, although that may change if expected positions in the Premier League do not become available to him. But Keane's name is still there, not the favourite (according to the bookies anyway), just there or thereabouts, and has yet to be firmly ruled out, either by Delaney, Keane himself, or the good Doktor and Houghton. The longer his name is linked with the position, or at the very least, not removed from the list of possible managers, the more likely I think it could be his. Right now, he's not being linked with any position in England when it comes available, so it could be a way for him to clear the slate after unperforming at Ipswich and emerge as a prospect for vacant club positions - think McLeish with Scotland, before going on to manage Birmingham
    Having said all that, his relationship with Delaney is no secret, and he may have the final say in any appointment.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Presumably Cruyff told his hosts at half-time last week that he was heading for a pi$s and then just never returned......

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Was he even in the country...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    If Keane does get it then he needs a good cop as his number 2. The FAI will expect his name alone to bring in the punters (some no doubt to see him fail if they are that way inclined) so Delaney may decide bums on seats is more important than their 'differences' from the past. It would also mean Keane vs Dunphy every couple of months.

Like Tets said if O'Neill wanted it he'd be in post now. He is probably waiting for Jol to get the boot & if Fulham lose tomorrow then he may be back in the PL by the end of the month.

We aren't left with many options, it's not exactly a sexy gig despite it paying well so it could be down to the last two men standing which will probably end up as Keane & McCarthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    We aren't left with many options.
    You can say that again. We may as well have Doktor Oetker picking the new man at this stage.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    With our options seemingly drying up, I am surprised no one has mentioned Steve Staunton! At least he would be less divisive than Roy. On the up, I could see Roy headbutting Dunphy if he continued with some of the sh#t he comes out with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    It would be almost worth Keane getting the job for his interviews with TOD alone!

Almost...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The latest is that Mick McCarthy is/was still the bookies favourite...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    From Paddy Power

Mick McCarthy 5/6
    Martin O'Neill 2/1
    Roy Keane 10/1
    Gerard Houllier 12/1
    Noel King 18/1
    Carlos Queiroz 18/1
    Johan Cruyff 20/1
    Guus Hiddink 25/1
    Martin Jol 25/1
    Alan Curbishley 25/1
    Neil Lennon 25/1
    Brian McDermott 33/1
    David O'Leary 33/1
    Chris Hughton 33/1
    Glenn Hoddle 33/1

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    From Paddy Power

Mick McCarthy 5/6
    Martin O'Neill 2/1
    Roy Keane 10/1
    Gerard Houllier 12/1
    Noel King 18/1
    Carlos Queiroz 18/1
    Johan Cruyff 20/1
    Guus Hiddink 25/1
    Martin Jol 25/1
    Alan Curbishley 25/1
    Neil Lennon 25/1
    Brian McDermott 33/1
    David O'Leary 33/1
    Chris Hughton 33/1
    Glenn Hoddle 33/1
    Martin O'Neill appears to have drifted over the horizon and Roy and Mick only realistic candidates. Both have their baggage however. Roy in the fact that, although he has a brilliant football mind, he cannot work with others who are not on the same page as him. And Mick in that he is a great guy and a great motivator and all that, but he would go straight back to hoof ball football.

Glenn Hoddle would be worth a look, and to a lesser extent so would Martin Jol, but we could do a lot worse than employ King and the Dokter (Dokter as manager and Noel as assistant to eliminate any possibility of miscommunication as was the issue with Trap).

We need to start at the beginning again and employ a completely different style of football and why not go with these lads. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

21. Thanks From:

Page 61 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast