Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1477

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Johan Cruijff is a Grade A bull****ter. This could seriously end in tears.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Just threw down a tenner at odds of 16-1 in Paddy Power on Cruyff. While I remain 50-50 on his appointment and would be concerned about how opinionated he can be and would wonder how he could deal with the FAI, I might as well profit if he is appointed. Girl in there said I'm the fourth fella in the last 2 hours to stick a bet on him, so maybe a few of the taxi drivers at the airport have shares in Paddy Powers!!

Did hear the rumour that Keano was going to be his number two...no shortage of opinions with that managerial team!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Would Alan Curbishly impress anyone here?? I have no great recollection of his style of play but he was Reasonably successful with limited resources. Very meticulous when committing to new signings at Charlton too. They reckon that's what counted against him as their profile and budget increased. He was too slow to move for players because he wouldn't spend unless he seen first hand and was absolutely sure. It's the kind of diligence I want to see from our next Manager TBH.

All the big names bantered about, but I still think we need someone with a history of working with average (to good) players and making a team more than the sum of their parts.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I can't think of anything particularly bad about Curbishley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I can't think of anything particularly bad about Curbishley.
    He seems like a very boring man. We need someone who knows their tactics and can play to the media/fans. I'd rather have Steve Bruce doing his silly dance down the sideline, Fatih Terim with his sweaty armpits or Johann and Roy having a scowl off at the ref rather than have Curbs.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Actually I had a dream we appointed Bruce and he turned out a good manager.
    Though have had personal experience of the man and consider him on a par with a certain Corkonian.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Would Alan Curbishly impress anyone here?? I have no great recollection of his style of play but he was Reasonably successful with limited resources. Very meticulous when committing to new signings at Charlton too. They reckon that's what counted against him as their profile and budget increased. He was too slow to move for players because he wouldn't spend unless he seen first hand and was absolutely sure. It's the kind of diligence I want to see from our next Manager TBH.

All the big names bantered about, but I still think we need someone with a history of working with average (to good) players and making a team more than the sum of their parts.
    i find it slightly odd that he has applied for multiple jobs since leaving west ham without managing to get any of them.

he did sue the hammers, so perhaps that's putting club sides off. or maybe he is a bad interviewee.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    I get mixed up between Curbs and Pards.
    I though Curbs was at Newcastle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Will you guys be happy with Big Mick? Is he the safe fall back option?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Will you guys be happy with Big Mick? Is he the safe fall back option?
    A bit depends on if he wants it, if he was desperate for the job and ambition pouring out of every orifice then he should be seriously considered. Otherwise I'd say he should stay away, not touch it with a bargepole, move on with his life elsewhere but leave himself available for the caretaker gig should it arise

12. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    No-one knows the pressures of the Irish job more than Mick McCarthy and also how its a virtually impossible job. You can say a lot of things about Trapattoni but he was never afraid of a challenge throughout his career and taking on the Irish job in 2008 was a huge challenge. Credit to him for taking the job in the first place. Its still the same challenge today with the high expectations and the armchair pundits criticising everything and expecting us to reach every major tournament. If we play an attack minded team against the likes of Germany we'd get torn to shreds. We did as it was, but managed to keep it 3-0 only by defending en masse. In games against Spain and Germany it will always be a question of getting as many men behind the ball as possible because we simply aren't in the same league as them and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. Everyone in Ireland thinks they are an expert on the national team and how we should play and the people who claim to be the biggest experts are those who have achieved least in the game.

Getting back to McCarthy, I'd be surprised if he took the job as I doubt he needs the stress at this stage of his life. On balance he was probably the best Irish manager in our history but even he would struggle with the current squad. Before he had the two Keanes, Duff, Irwin and several other top class players at their peak.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 14/10/2013 at 8:02 PM.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Alot of buzz going round that Cruyff is to be appointed later this week................not sure what to make of that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Buzz comes and goes.
    No need to make anything out of it, just stay calm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Yes credit to Trap for taking €2m a year.

Hero/
    Yeah man, they call gambling a disease, but it's the only disease where you can win a bunch of money.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm sure Trap could have got similar money elsewhere. He's one of the world's most successful managers, he was hardly going to do it for peanuts.

He took the job when we were a shambles, steadied the ship, achieved qualification, ship started shaking again, left the job, hence this thread has become relevant. We move on.

Cruyff would be really intriguing. I know he's a bit of a loose cannon at times, but we would certainly find out if our players are in any way capable of playing a passing, possession game. Cruyff, I would think, would know no other way. Of course, this could be catastrophic if it turns out our guys aren't up to it but I think we have enough coming through to at least make a stab at it. Gibson is often hailed for his ball retention, McCarthy fitted in well in a passing Wigan side, obviously the likes of McGeady, Hoolahan and Reid are technically very good and Coleman and Clark are comfortable in possession. Wilson has been pretty disappointing of late but has looked fairly comfortable on the ball in the past.

I think he may be my new number one choice, despite knowing full well it could be brief and end badly, worst case scenario. On the flip side, good communication between him and the rude doctor could transform the way the Irish view football forever... best case scenario of course

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I'm sure Trap could have got similar money elsewhere. He's one of the world's most successful managers, he was hardly going to do it for peanuts.
    Was, cant seeing him managing any top team now tbf

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Curbs has been out of the game for quite a while. His CV contains Charlton & West Ham and no more. I always had time for him and he did an outstanding job at Charlton, despite overseeing a relegation but I think we could be aiming a bit higher.

I have great time for Mick McCarthy but they say you should never go back and I'd tend to agree with that in this instance. More of a gut feeling than anything else though.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    lads - wheres the cruyff speculation coming from? Cant seem to find anything on the internet about it
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Taxi drivers.

Page 55 of 74 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast