Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    What's the relevance to this thread, Spud...

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    What really annoys me is when people say we can't have a team that tries to keep the ball on the floor because we have limited players. What a load of nonsense. Professional footballers are able to pass a ball. To give an example local to me...Nottingham Forest were a direct team last season under Cotterill, long aimless balls to nobody. Sean O'Driscoll is now the manager & has got them playing football. This is Championship level, you don't need to be playing in the PL or La Liga to have the guts to pass a football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Now I feel contrary myself and want Trap to succeed further just to stick it up to the meeja.
    That's what I feel too now.

Trap had my qualified support last year but the signs are that things are getting worse and that "this man is not for turning". That said I think there is such an anti-Trap bandwagon building at home I'm inclined to offer him support again! I thought Tony O'Donoghue's RTE interview after the game was too aggressive and frankly insulting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That's what I feel too now.

Trap had my qualified support last year but the signs are that things are getting worse and that "this man is not for turning". That said I think there is such an anti-Trap bandwagon building at home I'm inclined to offer him support again! I thought Tony O'Donoghue's RTE interview after the game was too aggressive and frankly insulting.
    ya Tony thinks hes asking the questions "we all want to hear", when in fact all he did was interupt Trap every couple of seconds to ask another stupid qusetion. pathetic reporting. he does it after every game.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    What's the relevance to this thread, Spud...
    Jaysus, ArdeeBhoy, man from my rodina (homeland) - I've been accused of being other people in the past - my other half even once told me I reminded her of her cousin, which might have been okay (indeed normal if I were from Kerry), but it was a girl she was referring to! But I think you looked at the wrong post. Or mixed up me and shakerman.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    On TOD,on a personal level I like the man, he's very good, passionate about football and LOI to the core (as well as Irish sports in general) and I'd almost forgive him for who he supports, but the last interview - I think there was something like you'd experience on skype, a delayed sound. Also Trap was peed off and it was never going to go well. Overall TOD came out worse as he was too assertive and not polite enough. Then again, do we want to see him making amore with Trap? (BBC reference).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    On O'Donoghue's post match assault on Trap, I doubt if TO'D has the nous to or (moral?) courage to take the initiative himself for such an interview, probably he's just given the green light to take what has been said by the panelists and throw it at Trap and Tony makes an aggressive hames of it.

Trap looks to be stuck in a bad place in this 3rd campaign. If he makes a few changes then maybe, but after 5 years this recent talk of full backs who get forward is simply baffling.
    "the support from two full-backs going up and down can make it easier. If you watch Germany, their defenders never stop running up and down the line"
    It's as if he still doesn't know what the problem is and picking things out of the hat as if he's just discovered a possible angle to introduce, something which has been glaringly obvious for years. So, I'd say Trap is already looking lost in this 3rd campaign.

On a managerial level, I've been quite impressed with Lars Lagerback since he took over the Iceland job.
    He's a good organizer/tactician and as a bonus can articulate his thoughts on the game in the post match press conferences. I don't know what he's being paid, but he did say the reports of €430k p/a were greatly exaggerated. In the last game against Norway, the supposedly cautious Lars took a leaf out of Del Bosque's book, dropped the two decent strikers and filled out the midfield. This had never been done before with this team. The game plan worked fine and he put a striker on after the hour mark to seal the victory. The 'passing through midfield' to 'hoof it up front' ratio was about 5 -1. But of course, it's the players, their attitude and ability who make any plan work.

7. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Trap looks to be stuck in a bad place in this 3rd campaign. If he makes a few changes then maybe, but after 5 years this recent talk of full backs who get forward is simply baffling.
    "the support from two full-backs going up and down can make it easier. If you watch Germany, their defenders never stop running up and down the line"
    It's as if he still doesn't know what the problem is and picking things out of the hat as if he's just discovered a possible angle to introduce, something which has been glaringly obvious for years. So, I'd say Trap is already looking lost in this 3rd campaign.
    The thing is we already have a full back like that and he's discouraged from playing his natural game. Ward might not be a great defender but he is the quickest player we have after McGeady and will run and run all day. Some might even say his positional sense is so bad that he might as well be half way down the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    Stephen Kenny is free.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    For what?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I'd replace him with this guy from Airplane 2. He'd be a lot cheaper and nobody would be able to tell the difference

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    For what?
    weddings and bar mitzvahs...
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You'll have to do better than that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,695 Posts
    You'll have to do better than that...
    When I say everything you type in an Ardee accent, it all becomes clear.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    And??

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Clearly everybody is entitled to their opinion and, for what it’s worth, here is mine.
    Trappatoni is not the problem – he’s a symptom of the general malaise at the FAI. If we look at the managers during Delaney’s reign Mick McCarthy was turned on by the press, with Dumpty as cheerleader, and Delaney did not have the backbone to stand up and support him. He then treated Brian Kerr very shabbily and couldn’t wait to get rid of him, followed by the ‘World Class Management Team’ of Steve Staunton and Bobby Robson and finally (I hope) the marquee name of Giovanni Trappatoni.
    I think this says more about Delaney and the FAI than it does about the managers. When Staunton was appointed it was all about money – the cheapest available – in order to be able to afford Delaney’s inflated salary??? Following the implosion of Staunton’s term it was important to get a well-known name. Why? Because John Delaney needed to justify his position, needed to take the pressure off himself over the appointment of Staunton. So we were fed the bull about teams being appointed to find the very best manager available so nobody could blame Delaney if it went wrong again.
    The main point from all this is that we are not getting a manager appointed who is the best for Ireland and the Irish team – we are getting a manager appointed who is best for John Delaney and his ambitions or to deflect any criticism of John Delaney which is around at the time.
    At the same time the CEO salary had risen from €150k to €440k, later to be reduced by 10% on two occasions so poor Long John has to survive on €360k per annum. The FAI is being run as a Dictatorship with any dissent resulting in instant dismissal or being pushed out of the in-crowd.
    Trappatoni won’t go (without a payoff). The opportunity was there to wait until after the Euros to offer a new contract but Delaney wouldn’t wait although the dogs in the street could see Trappatoni was living on luck in the qualifiers. Delaney won’t sack him as if he does the guns will be out for Long John. At the moment Trappatoni is a buffer for Delaney – while Trap is there the press and fans will take aim at him rather than Delaney. As soon as he goes, until a new manager is appointed, John is in the limelight where he doesn’t want to be unless it is positive spin – “working 24/7 except while in Gdansk where he is entitled to some time off with his ‘extended’ family”. Remember the administration in the Euros was ‘world class’ with meetings at 9am every day (apart from when John had lost his shoes). Pity on-field didn’t run as much like clockwork.
    When Dion Fanning questioned all this it was Dion who’s judgement was questioned – the FAI marketing spin machine went into overload to try to stop the Indo from printing. The interview was stopped on several occasions when Delaney didn’t like the line of questioning while his PR man stayed in the room shaking his head throughout. The attempted bullying of Dion was reminiscent of the worst excesses of Dubya Bush.
    So when I say finally above I mean I hope it is the final appointment of Delaney. Trappatoni should go but there is no point is clearing out the monkeys until the organ-grinder is sorted.
    With regard to the domestic league – clubs are going by the wayside while Long John takes a 10% pay cut. There was an opportunity to create a single league for the whole island but Delaney rejected this – he recognised the IFA would never pay it’s Chief Exec more than the Taoiseach even if he could wangle his way into the top position.
    So we get rid of Pakie Bonner and Eoin Hand, people who had real jobs and worked hard for the Association while Long John surveys his ‘World-Class Administration’ and loses his shoes but his hands are perfectly manicured and there is not a hair out of place. But that’s what you need when you are hob-knobbing with such luminaries as Sepp Blatter (although Long John backed the wrong horse there) and Michel Platini.
    Time to go John and take your yes-men with you…

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Black View Post
    Trappatoni is not the problem – he’s a symptom of the general malaise at the FAI.
    Huh? I don't think anyone would disagree with there being a general malaise in the FAI, but their approach to Trapattoni is one of their more enlightened moves. Much as I disagree with Trap's general philosophy, I'm glad the FAI don't interfere in his running of the team and haven't sacked him on the back of public outrage.

They were definitely too hasty in giving him a new contract but that is a general problem in Irish sport across all codes - we are crap at negotiating and always cave in when somebody suggests they have alternative suitors.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Wow, great first post Pearl Black!
    Yeah charlie one of the FAI cheerleaders.......as always

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hardly cheerleading. I said they are crap apart from one specific thing they haven't ****ed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Great first post from Pearl Black, I have to agree with most of it. Its a sickening situation when you see Delaney milk the game in this country, while at the same time clubs up and down the country are starved of finances. The sad thing is that even when he is gone, the yes men who keep him in his lofty position, will themselves by vying to take his place, and all that goes with the job.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Who would I replace Trapp with?

Hmmm, with the current Welsh manager. Oh, hang on a second they lost 6-1 in Serbia.

Let me think, the Scottish manager. Oh, he has only got 2 points from the first two home games, including a game against Macedonia who Richard Sadlier scoffed at last Friday. I think we did the double over them last year.

I know, the Northern Ireland manager. Oops, they only drew at home with Luxemburg.

Perhaps the Swedish manager whose team led 1-0 at home over absolutely useless Kazakhstan who are 146 in the rankings up to the 90th minute. Hmmm, perhaps not.

Got it, the Portuguese manager whose team beat Azerbaijan 1-0 at home or the Spanish manager whose team won 0-1 in Georgia.

ANyone of these will do as a 2-1 in Kazakstan is unacceptable to mighty Ireland. Sack Trapp!!
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast