Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1477

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    But is the market for well paid jobs truly open? Oh, that's another debate. One I'd be happy to have elsewhere if anyone's interested!
    Me too, you Commie.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The money being paid is being focused on a little too much today in my opinion. Does it really matter? Its not much different that the previous management team and its not coming out of tax payers pockets so I dont see the big deal. If they are successful and get the nation behind them again then that is priceless
    Has there been any focus on the salary, apart from the reporting of the rumours of the amounts involved?
    Is finance (the lack of it) not an major issue in Irish football? Why not discuss it? I do have opinions about money and where it goes in Irish football.
    It's all fine and well for the FAI to put resources into an international team and get a good managerial team.
    But for a piddly little football association, in a country with one of the poorest leagues in Europe, yeah I think it does look a bit weird when there is a Eur2 -3 m golden chariot made available for the management of the senior team. It's out of proportion to the state of the football nation.
    As I wrote, I don't at all begrudge MON getting paid, by any standards in intl football, a substantial salary of EUR 1.2m, but the 800k bonus part is way over the top. Mick would have had us to 3 out of 3 tournaments with a top 2 finish. A top 2 finish is the minimum standard of expectation for a team who are more than likely to be 2nd seeds.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...-edge.html?m=1

Blog on upcoming appointments for those interested....

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    The opening shot from the initial can of the worms being squeezed open...
    http://balls.ie/football/eamon-dunph...ill-pain-arse/

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Has there been any focus on the salary, apart from the reporting of the rumours of the amounts involved?
    Is finance (the lack of it) not an major issue in Irish football? Why not discuss it? I do have opinions about money and where it goes in Irish football.
    It's all fine and well for the FAI to put resources into an international team and get a good managerial team.
    But for a piddly little football association, in a country with one of the poorest leagues in Europe, yeah I think it does look a bit weird when there is a Eur2 -3 m golden chariot made available for the management of the senior team. It's out of proportion to the state of the football nation.
    As I wrote, I don't at all begrudge MON getting paid, by any standards in intl football, a substantial salary of EUR 1.2m, but the 800k bonus part is way over the top. Mick would have had us to 3 out of 3 tournaments with a top 2 finish. A top 2 finish is the minimum standard of expectation for a team who are more than likely to be 2nd seeds.
    It was a topic talked about quite a bit on other forums and was mentioned here, my point was just that I dont care what they are being paid as long as they are successful
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Maybe we'd have been better going with either one or the other actually: http://balls.ie/football/how-oneill-...-with-ireland/

Or with Marcus Sorg!

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Cough, Denis O Brien is so kind to us
    The media mogul might be a fan of the team himself, but he's not the selfless philanthropist either.

my point was just that I dont care what they are being paid as long as they are successful
    Would such success ultimately be to the long-term benefit of Irish football as a whole though? Would it be sustainable? Arguably, and it's the point I think geysir articulates rather well above, throwing such a disproportionate wad of cash at the senior team managerial duo in the short term, to the neglect of the various other limbs of Irish football, could prove detrimental to the broader game and its future.

In saying that, it is O'Brien's donation (or investment, to look at it from another perspective) and the FAI are free to spend whatever cash they have as they wish so long as people are happy to give it to them. As interested and/or contributing Irish football fans though, we should still care and be prepared to cast a critical eye upon those with whom responsibility of governing the Irish game has been entrusted.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Of course success with the national team has a long term benefit to Irish football as a whole, look at the level of interest young lads have in rugby in recent years after the successes of the national team.It far greater than it was when I was growing up. Football competes with all the other sports in the country and so a successful national team is vital.

I dont want to get into a debate about where the money should be going because Im sure there are plenty of lads much more knowledgeable than me but say for example we offered 1 million to the management team rather than the reported 2 million. We certainly wouldnt have attracted managers of the stature of Trapattoni or O'Neill. So we have 1 million left over, where does that money go that would give the same impact for inspiring young fellas anywhere close to watching their heroes do well in a green shirt. I know when I was young I was hooked on the buzz of international football after watching Euro 88 and Italia 90.

And by the way Im sure theres some economist somewhere who will be able to say how good it is for the national economy to have successful national team,look at all the merchandise the Joe Duffy brigade buy when the team qualifies for a tournament

Now I know that we might have got a manager cheaper who might do well with us, I dont see any outstanding candidates though and I believe that you in general get what you pay for,I believe that we have done great business getting O'Neill and co on board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    I'm happy with this appointment. There will be ups and downs of course but I think this will work. Interesting times ahead. Seems like we're stuck with 4-4-2 for a while though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Of course success with the national team has a long term benefit to Irish football as a whole, look at the level of interest young lads have in rugby in recent years after the successes of the national team.It far greater than it was when I was growing up. Football competes with all the other sports in the country and so a successful national team is vital.

I dont want to get into a debate about where the money should be going because Im sure there are plenty of lads much more knowledgeable than me but say for example we offered 1 million to the management team rather than the reported 2 million. We certainly wouldnt have attracted managers of the stature of Trapattoni or O'Neill. So we have 1 million left over, where does that money go that would give the same impact for inspiring young fellas anywhere close to watching their heroes do well in a green shirt. I know when I was young I was hooked on the buzz of international football after watching Euro 88 and Italia 90.

And by the way Im sure theres some economist somewhere who will be able to say how good it is for the national economy to have successful national team,look at all the merchandise the Joe Duffy brigade buy when the team qualifies for a tournament

Now I know that we might have got a manager cheaper who might do well with us, I dont see any outstanding candidates though and I believe that you in general get what you pay for,I believe that we have done great business getting O'Neill and co on board.
    I'm not saying there is no benefit to the broader game when the senior team succeeds. There unquestionably is. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, however. It is important to note that the senior team isn't the be-all and end-all of Irish football. I'm just asking the question as to what respective distribution of funds between the various limbs that make up the game in Ireland might bring the greatest long-term benefit to Irish football as a whole. Throwing everything into the one basket whilst neglecting other modes of breeding success and development - perhaps more organic, self-perpetuating and sustainable modes - isn't necessarily the best way forward. It is only right for a supporter to cast a critical eye.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I'm not saying there is no benefit to the broader game when the senior team succeeds. There unquestionably is. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing, however. It is important to note that the senior team isn't the be-all and end-all of Irish football. I'm just asking the question as to what respective distribution of funds between the various limbs that make up the game in Ireland might bring the greatest long-term benefit to Irish football as a whole. Throwing everything into the one basket whilst neglecting other modes of breeding success and development - perhaps more organic, self-perpetuating and sustainable modes - isn't necessarily the best way forward. It is only right for a supporter to cast a critical eye.
    You have a fair point, and it would be a much more important point if Denis O Brien wasnt funding the national management team. The FAI are not blowing all their funds on this and while maybe people think that O'Brien should be putting his money into the youth structures I think that is a whole different argument.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You all could be up for some banner years as Linda Hogan is named Cardinal and MON leads Ireland to the World Cup in Oman. That would be our luck, finally making a WC in a country that frowns upon alcohol.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    You have a fair point, and it would be a much more important point if Denis O Brien wasnt funding the national management team. The FAI are not blowing all their funds on this and while maybe people think that O'Brien should be putting his money into the youth structures I think that is a whole different argument.
    And you also have a fair point. As stated, the FAI and O'Brien especially, as a private individual, can spend their money however they see fit no matter how others think it might be better invested or distributed.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    There is, of course, another way of looking at it, to which you perhaps allude; O'Brien's money frees up the FAI to spend the remainder of its money elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'm happy with this appointment. There will be ups and downs of course but I think this will work. Interesting times ahead. Seems like we're stuck with 4-4-2 for a while though.
    Why so? I actually think O'Neill's original 3-5-2 formation at Celtic would suit us perfectly, for the next campaign at least.

----------------Westwood--------------

-------O'Shea----Dunne----Clark--------
    Coleman-------------------------McClean

-----------Gibson------McCarthy--------

----------------McGeady---------------

------------Long------Keane------------

I'd like to see McClean tried there. Might be better suited to that role than Wilson, who has been pretty poor in recent matches in any case. Reid and Hoolahan would challenge McGeady for the free role off the front two.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/11/2013 at 8:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    There is, of course, another way of looking at it, to which you perhaps allude; O'Brien's money frees up the FAI to spend the remainder of its money elsewhere.
    You're give me more credit than I due there, after midnight last night I wasnt thinking of it that way But you are absolutely right.

Whatever peoples opinions are of O'Brien I prefer to look at him as a fan who had the cash to help out with attracting better managers, especially after the Staunton debacle. If I had his money I would love to be able to do the same.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I'd salivate at the thought of DeLorean's suggestion - or something similar to it. I'd probably only see it as a viable shape for home games against slightly weaker opposition - to begin with anyway. I think I recall Celtic playing away to a Portuguese team (Spoerting?) and the Portuguese wingers had a field day.

How did Celtic line up when Liam Miller played so well against Lyon and Anderlecht(?)?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    You're give me more credit than I due there, after midnight last night I wasnt thinking of it that way But you are absolutely right.

Whatever peoples opinions are of O'Brien I prefer to look at him as a fan who had the cash to help out with attracting better managers, especially after the Staunton debacle. If I had his money I would love to be able to do the same.
    Me too. And even Mick Wallace can be commended for giving something of value to his community.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Why so? I actually think O'Neill's original 3-5-2 formation at Celtic would suit us perfectly, for the next campaign at least.

----------------Westwood--------------

-------O'Shea----Dunne----Clark--------
    Coleman-------------------------McClean

-----------Gibson------McCarthy--------

----------------McGeady---------------

------------Long------Keane------------

I'd like to see McClean tried there. Might be better suited to that role than Wilson, who has been pretty poor in recent matches in any case. Reid and Hoolahan would challenge McGeady for the free role off the front two.
    Lovely looking side, and would see the best of McClean & Coleman most likely. Where would you place Brady in it, were he to feature ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd salivate at the thought of DeLorean's suggestion - or something similar to it. I'd probably only see it as a viable shape for home games against slightly weaker opposition - to begin with anyway. I think I recall Celtic playing away to a Portuguese team (Spoerting?) and the Portuguese wingers had a field day.

How did Celtic line up when Liam Miller played so well against Lyon and Anderlecht(?)?
    VS Lyon (from http://www.theguardian.com/football/...yminute.sport1 )
    Celtic: Hedman, McNamara, Balde, Varga, Agathe, Lennon, Sutton, Petrov, Thompson, Larsson, Hartson.
    Subs: Douglas, Gray, Sylla, Petta, Maloney, Kennedy, Miller.
    VS Anderlecht (from http://www.theguardian.com/football/...sstory.sport11 )
    Celtic: 21-Magnus Hedman; 17-Didier Agathe, 4-Jackie McNamara, 23-Stanislav Varga, 6-Bobo Balde, 43-Liam Miller, 18-Neil Lennon, 19-Stilian Petrov, 7-Henrik Larsson, 9-Chris Sutton, 10-John Hartson
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The FAI have confirmed they're in the "advanced stages" of talks with O'Neill and Keane, which inevitably means something is going to go wrong.

Page 73 of 74 FirstFirst ... 236371727374 LastLast