Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1477

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/i...040224294.html

I think I agree with pretty much everything in this article
    Some points are good but way too much on a corny rehash of super hero Roy Keane pseudo philosophy about mediocrity - a player who was too good for us, our mediocrity got to him in the end, and we were not worthy to have him, etc etc
    And if a post match interviewer is thick enough to tag on a disparaging assessment of the strength of the opposition to a question, to a by then very príckly Irish manager, I would expect the idiot reporter to be rebuked and the Irish manager to pay proper respect to the opposition.
    What a piece of turd it is when our manager is supposed to demonstrate that he does not stand for mediocrity by agreeing with "lets face it, the Kazakhs are not up to much, are they? we should be doing better than that" on post match tv.

He also does not know about some of the examples he uses.
    There is no magic formula that countries have where the manager and players hold hands, think positive thoughts about their football prowess and banish mediocrity. It has taken some countries 8 to 10 years of hard work with transforming the way they coached and played the game.
    Probably that goes for Switzerland these days, who are finally looking to show the football world the results of all their input with underage coaching, into the success of the current senior team.
    Having a good manager is just one piece and no matter who we have, it's going to take time to instil a different game pattern to our play

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    We have the entire planet to choose from. Lets not rush to appoint a manager just because he has an Irish background or is a native English speaker.

Rushing to appoint a boss in time for next months friendlies is just pointless. We shouldn't be rushing to do anything.

Worldwide, would you put MON, Mick McCarthy or Roy Keane in the top 100 managers? Yet apparantly each of them are good enough for Ireland.

Lets get a good coach/manager - an ability to speak decent English would be nice but not essential. It certainly hasnt harmed the manager at Southampton whose English is extremely limited (although a lot of his players are spanish speaking).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I still think the debate about the 2-2 draw misses the point. We were hanging on by our fingernails at the end, we had no bench to draw on and even though it looked like we'd win for 40-odd minutes there was a spell where it was looking more like we'd lose. We barely touched the ball after their deflected winner. I think Keane was posing a bit afterwards, something he has been inclined to do. He's even admitted a lot of it was an act.
    Having an overriding feeling of relief at full time would have been reasonable enough, but celebrating a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 up did have an air of an inferiority complex about it. I have no problem with Keane over stressing this point and trying to induce a winning mentality, even if it was partially an act.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Having an overriding feeling of relief at full time would have been reasonable enough, but celebrating a 2-2 draw after being 2-0 up did have an air of an inferiority complex about it. I have no problem with Keane over stressing this point and trying to induce a winning mentality, even if it was partially an act.
    I don't remember anyone "celebrating" the 2-2 draw. Managers don't wring their hands and berate the players when they get a draw like that. They try to put a gloss on it otherwise they lose the dressing room. Not something I think Keane ever learned. I, like most Irish fans coming out of the ground, was disappointed we couldn't hold on to the win but was happy to take the draw in the end. I didn't see anyone "celebrating". The usual "I would have taken a point" before the game stuff but that's what you say to mask disappointment.

As for Kingdom saying "Keane (Robbie) is FAR from being our best player ever", I find that bizarre. He is not one of the greatest strikers in the world but he is by a long shot our greatest striker. Without scoring goals, you do not win games. Football is about winning games (well for me it is - not the aesthetics of the game as obviously I wouldn't otherwise be following Sheffield Wednesday). It is the most important position on the field since midfielders, wingers and defenders usually only score a handful between them. It is a huge talent to be able to read a game, be in the right place at the right time and then be able to finish. THAT is TALENT. It is a talent no other Irish forward has come close to having. Try putting any of the other Irish players you say are greater players than Robbie in his position and see how many goals they come up with. It is unique to him and he still never gets the credit he deserves . He is truly one of our greatest players ever.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Robbie is our greatest player ever, in my opinion. In terms of technique and having that awful buzz-word "x-factor", he is far and away above anyone we've ever had, including Roy, Brady, Giles, etc. McGrath was a totally different player and the only one who comes close, I think. I really think if Keane wasn't such a homebird (by which I mean living in England, close enough to go home whenever he liked), he'd have excelled on the continent. It's no coincidence he's done better in international football than he did in the pace and power-fuelled Premier League.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    We're gonna qualify for Euro 2016 with its stupid new qualifying format regardless who is manager.
    So its time to go for broke and build something for the future.
    Martin O'Neill and his boring football isn't the answer. He's never played with passing midfielders.
    Mick McCarthy though a lovely fella is just a step back to the past.

Roy Keane is never gonna get it and it probably not the answer anyway.
    Hughton isnt gonna leave his Premier League job.

But out there is a manager who Pep Guardiola reckons is the best in the world. He turned Chile into one of the most watchable teams in the world, finishing level on points with Spain in their World Cup group. Then he made Bilbao into one of the most exciting clubs in Europe, with a magnificent run to the Europa League final devastating Manchester United along the way. We could go the boring route and bring Mick back or we could go for broke and bring in Bielsa. The guys loves managing underdogs and is suited to international football. There's nothing to lose here as the Euro 2016 qualifying is a joke.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Charlie, can't agree with you about our greatest player ever, but all to their own choice. I remember McGrath as a freak, who with two shot knees, held a very mediocre Villa defence together and shone brightly on so many occasions for Ireland. Robbie is without doubt, our greatest striker and probably will be for a very long time. I do remember when people were shocked when big Niall forecast that Robbie would eclipse his record of goalscoring for Ireland, he has certainly demolished it!

Guardiola for Ireland? The reality is the sheer cultural difference in football philosophy would mean too much of a change by him and the Irish team, to be successful. It would end in tears. I think Mick has proven that he can put out a team which plays attractive football, Japan /Korea, showed this, and when necessary we played hoofball, like when big Niall helped Robbie equalise against Germany.

The controversy with Roy is history which would also help Mick.

Just on a sidenote, the Australians are now questioning their philosophy of following a Dutch style of football as they believe it has not helped them produce quality players. The point that is made here is that you can't impinge a style of play developed in one country directly to another. Worth considering in relation to the debate about our style of football.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/d...017-2vpsy.html
    Last edited by gastric; 18/10/2013 at 1:45 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Guardiola for Ireland? The reality is the sheer cultural difference in football philosophy would mean too much of a change by him and the Irish team, to be successful. It would end in tears. I think Mick has proven that he can put out a team which plays attractive football, Japan /Korea, showed this, and when necessary we played hoofball, like when big Niall helped Robbie equalise against Germany.

The controversy with Roy is history which would also help Mick.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/d...017-2vpsy.html
    He didn't say Guardiola for Ireland, he said Bielsa
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He didn't say Guardiola for Ireland, he said Bielsa
    Apologies, but I feel the same sentiment about him too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I don't remember anyone "celebrating" the 2-2 draw.
    Well they were embracing each other at the end looking pretty chuffed with themselves. There was no somersaults if that's what you mean.

Let's just say it was Germany, or even England. I'm sure they would have happily taken a point from an opening game in Amsterdam also. However, if they went into a 2-0 and ended up holding on for a draw in the end I don't think they have looked very pleased afterwards, even if they were a bit relieved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'm not a knocker of Keane. Do the Germans consider Der Bomber to be their greatest ever player? or Klose?
    What about Linekar for England? I don't believe so.

Is Robbie our greatest striker ever? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Try putting any of the other Irish players you say are greater players than Robbie in his position and see how many goals they come up with. It is unique to him and he still never gets the credit he deserves . He is truly one of our greatest players ever.
    That statement is more bizarre than what I said! I could easily say to you, Paul McGrath was our greatest ever player; try putting Robbie Keane in his position and see how many clean sheets we'd come off with.

If you're put out by my putting "FAR" into the statement fair enough. He's definitely in the top ten. But just off the top of my head, I'd have Brady, McGrath, Giles and his namesake ahead of him.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I'm not a knocker of Keane. Do the Germans consider Der Bomber to be their greatest ever player? or Klose?
    What about Linekar for England? I don't believe so.

Is Robbie our greatest striker ever? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
    The Germans and English have considerably more options. How many players would we realistically consider for our best ever? Five, maybe.

Keane's intelligence, ability and influence stands up to any of them.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Meanwhile elsewhere, someone is till trying to flog the proverbial can of dog food. And being shot down.
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-...t=20&start=460

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wonder why do some of them at (WSC) think Delaney is manipulating the appointment of McCarthy?
    What does Delaney do to effect that?
    something subliminal? employ extra terrestrials with mind control powers who whisper 'Mick is the man' into their (Rudd and Ray) ears.
    Last edited by geysir; 18/10/2013 at 11:11 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Could be down to an aspect of 'control-freakery' by JD. Maybe he perceives MMcC.as more of a 'Yes' man?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I wonder why do some of them at (WSC) think Delaney is manipulating the appointment of McCarthy?
    What does Delaney do to effect that?
    something subliminal? employ extra terrestrials with mind control powers who whisper 'Mick is the man' into their (Rudd and Ray) ears.
    You are deluded if you think that Ruud and Ray have any say in the final decision.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Meanwhile elsewhere, someone is till trying to flog the proverbial can of dog food. And being shot down.
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/27-...t=20&start=460
    That's it. I'm not posting here any more. You are freaking me out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    You are deluded if you think that Ruud and Ray have any say in the final decision.
    They won't have a say in the decision but it's their remit to suggest the shortlist.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    The premise for that part in the discussion was established with this gem and not challenged by a later reply
    "This (McCarthy) is not a good move and it's typical of Delaney, who is too stupid and lazy to go out and look for someone better."

Is it a national school debate society? I suppose there are some mitigating circumstances existing.

Page 60 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast