Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I don't think the info in the article is tripe just by association with the Indo and Fanning.
    The article over-eggs the drama but there is enough there to suggest that Trap was making public noises about a new contract before the play offs, some mild hissy threat and we know the FAI are not rushing in with a new contract before the play offs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    I think the public opinion of Trapattoni's eventual successor is that he will bring through younger players, and play more expansive football.
    Everyone wants to play like Barcelona/Spain, but they don't realise we can't do that. We try to play open, attacking football against the best in Europe and the goals will fly in, only in our net though. The two best teams have got out of the group, and the other teams in the group who tried to play like Barcelona, will watch the tournament on the sofa next year.

The game isn't only about one-touch, two-touch passing though. Team spirit, grafting, and a refusal to give in are as important. Sure, some teams can outpass our midfield. But can they stick at it when under pressure? Have they got the resilience not to buckle? Russia did to an extent at Lansdowne. However, there was a huge contrast between the Russia of the first hour and the Russia of the last 20 minutes clinging on to a game they looked to have well won. On another day, they wouldn't have.

We have come on leaps and bounds in the past 4 years. It should be appreciated and congratulated.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Everything else being equal (OK, which is a stretch) the wicked deflection off Dunne for Russia's 3rd goal was what stopped us winning that group. Luck goes the other way too.

2-2 and we were straight into the Euros.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Consider this

To data, I have regarded the qualification for 2002 as the greatest of our qualification successes, primarily due to the quality of opposition in our group. Sure 88 was the breakthrough but for a period of 5-8 years, Carlton had some serious talent at his disposal.

If we progress pat Estonia and qualufy, I think it will be of greatest, not because of the quality we faced in our group, more so the level of quality possessed in our squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Everything else being equal (OK, which is a stretch) the wicked deflection off Dunne for Russia's 3rd goal was what stopped us winning that group. Luck goes the other way too.

In my experience, you get lucky in individual games, or even individual incidents (e.g. Macedonia missing a penalty) but over a season, or a series of qualifiers it has very little bearing on the final result, compared with organisation and preparation
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    hmm, I would argue that replacing Keane with Kavanagh, moving Kilbane to the left, and Duff up front (when he had been destroying their left full all game) - effectively three changes instead of one (Elliott for Keane) - was the reason we didn't win that game.
    I agree that it was a dumb move, but still think that the second half was a freak.
    I saw a televised interview with Kerr where he rationalised his non introduction of Elliott.

To paraphrase Kerr, he said that he'd been severly criticised for this decision but that the supporters or the media had not seen Elliott's performance in training.

Kerr effectively stated that Elliott was not playing well and that he'd put in a very poor display in training.

I still think he should have had enough faith in the player to deliver in the game itself. This was the man who bailed him out in the Faroe's fixture.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Add to that Keane's double f*ck up against the Slovaks home and away - missed peno (Away) and free header with minutes to go (Home).

That said - the charmed life our goal had against Russia away and some key decisions falling our way against Armenia balance it out somewhat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I saw a televised interview with Kerr where he rationalised his non introduction of Elliott.

To paraphrase Kerr, he said that he'd been severly criticised for this decision but that the supporters or the media had not seen Elliott's performance in training.

Kerr effectively stated that Elliott was not playing well and that he'd put in a very poor display in training.

I still think he should have had enough faith in the player to deliver in the game itself. This was the man who bailed him out in the Faroe's fixture.
    Which was the following wednesday!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

10. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Consider this

To data, I have regarded the qualification for 2002 as the greatest of our qualification successes, primarily due to the quality of opposition in our group. Sure 88 was the breakthrough but for a period of 5-8 years, Carlton had some serious talent at his disposal.

If we progress pat Estonia and qualufy, I think it will be of greatest, not because of the quality we faced in our group, more so the level of quality possessed in our squad.
    That said, at least 4 of our current starting 11 would arguably be many punters shout to make an all-time Ireland XI.

Given, Dunne, Duff and Robbie Keane.

Some would possibly add John O'Shea as well.

Fair enough, all of the above are past their prime but this squad are not the motley crew they're sometimes painted as. There is still quality there, its just the individual quality must fit into the system.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I don't think the info in the article is tripe just by association with the Indo and Fanning.
    The article over-eggs the drama but there is enough there to suggest that Trap was making public noises about a new contract before the play offs, some mild hissy threat and we know the FAI are not rushing in with a new contract before the play offs.
    I wonder is Fanning going to renew his "El Tel for Ireland" campaign!!

A Paul Hyland article in the Herald last week was making reference (Hyland didn't substantiate the reference, of course) to Martin O'Neill waiting in the wings if Trapp leaves. No finer detail provided bar referencing O'Neill's name.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I would guess that Mick McCarthy is the one that the FAI will approach if Trapatonni walks/is fired (I don't believe Trap will still be in charge come the Germany game). Mick is available. Knows all the players and knows international football. Might well be happy with a short term contract. Will be within the budget of what the FAI can afford to pay. Team sure to give away at least three last minute goals if McCarthy does get the job. Bradys performance tonight on RTE won't have helped his chances and I really hope he is not even considered. Keane might be the popular choice and I would not completely rule him out. And I have no idea what O'Leary is doing at the moment but he might be considered. Redknapp might be interested if O'Brien stumps up the big bucks but huge longshot. For me it is between McCarthy, Keane and O'Leary in that order.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    O'Driscoll should be ahead of the latter two, both of whom would be a disaster.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    I can't see any manager leaving a club job to manage Ireland. Not enough money this time around. Will have to be somebody out of work and who won't be looking for a big payday.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I don't believe Trap will still be in charge come the Germany game
    Are you actually insane?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Are you actually insane?
    No. But your just a troll.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    No. But your just a troll.
    He has a valid point on this thread. There is no way Trap will be gone within the next four weeks. Sacking him would be insanity from a financial POV, and in pragmatic terms there is no grounds for sacking, seeing as we have three points. The FAI didn't sack McCarthy after our loss to Macedonia in '98, after all. Or our 0-0 draws against Lithuania and Iceland at home in the same campaign. Or our draw with Macedonia two and a half years later, which cost us a place in Euro 2000. Or Kerr after the shambolic 2-1 win at home to Albania, when we needed a 90th minute own goal. Or Staunton after Cyprus. What makes you think the FAI are going to change tack now?

After today, I don't think Trap should be in the job; he's taken this team as far as he can, and some of his selections are getting increasingly bizarre. But he's not going to be sacked, so talk of a successor should be deferred until November 2013.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    I guarantee you the majority of people think you're taking the **** and are talking about Brian.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    The only way Trap will be gone before the end of this campaign will be a string of defeats. Defeats to Germany and Sweden will be tolerated. It's a crying shame and, again, you have to question the contract extension or at least the timing of such.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I said it before and say it again, His Royal Highness Lord Anthony O'Reilly, the answer to all Ireland's ills. He was a young rugby star don't you know. He'd have INM and RTE eating out of his toe cracks (jam and all) and he'd quickly move to appoint Eoghan Harris as media relations officer (with a focus on RTE, since they rejected him), Richard Sadlier as chief footstool (and player masseur) and Laughing Bill as chief toadstool (and junior media relations intern). Okay, with the new Indo editor it might be a bit tricky, but Neon Dion will make sure the new regime get top billing, so too with Dan the Man, while over in the Heddild the "inspired" decision by HRH to reside on the mainland means he can take in all the Premiership matches he needs, as well as 6 Nations and Autumn internationals. Gotta love Ireland. Can't way for Joooooeeee Duffy! on Monday.

Page 5 of 74 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast