Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 52 of 74 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1477

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    No Dutchmen. Full stop.

Look what happened the last time they interfered in Ireland...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Jol takes over clubs with money and plods along before getting sacked after two or three years. But people are impressed by him because he's managed some big name clubs. But what exactly has he ever achieved? He's Harry Redknapp.
    Redknapp is a good manager by EPL standards.
    Jol resigned from Ajax and had good seasons with Spurs before he got the boot. His last full season was probably their best ever season in their modern history. I supposed he chanced upon that with lucky result after lucky result. Where do you get the idea that Fulham is a money club? This is Jol's 3rd season there and the club has sold more than it has bought, to the tune of £4m. Less of the biased, one sided, chancer type assesments please
    Co Adriaanse, on the other hand, took Willem II to their highest league finish in the entire history of the club, and brought them to the Champions League/European Cup, for the first and only time in the entire history of the club. He led AZ Alkmaar to their second most successful European campaign in the entire history of the club. These are massive achievements. He was in charge of the Ajax youth setup in the early 1990s, and reorganised and modernised the whole thing. This is something he could also help do in Ireland - to look at the big picture, together with Ruud Dokter.<br>
    <br>
    We have to look beyond Premier League managers and other big names like Trapattoni
    Co Adriaanse is interesting but he could be a washed up chancer like Rikjard, who knows? He rarely lasts a year with each recent contract, some psychological problems perhaps?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Apparently it's going to be MO'N, after he gets sacked by Fulham in March....

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    His tactic was give the ball to Luis Suarez. Most people here know how good a player Luis Suarez is, so imagine how he took the mickey out of Eredivisie defences. I think another manager would have done fairly well. At Fulham his tactic has been to give the ball to Berbatov. It's effective, but the Jol is no tactical genius and he has no Plan B. His Ajax hardly functioned without Luis Suarez.

Martin Jol went against Ajax policy to sign six players by himself, without the Ajax scouts ever having looked at them. Those players were:

Atouba
    Kerlon
    Mido
    Pantelic
    Tainio
    Hyun-jun Suk

They made something like 35 appearances for Ajax between them. 25 were by Pantelic.

Sure, international managers don't have to sign players, but they have to judge a player's quality and if they'll be any good for the international team. So I'd be very worried about a manager who signs a load of duds, because it's an indication of bad judgement.

Jol takes over clubs with money and plods along before getting sacked after two or three years. But people are impressed by him because he's managed some big name clubs. But what exactly has he ever achieved? He's Harry Redknapp.

Co Adriaanse, on the other hand, took Willem II to their highest league finish in the entire history of the club, and brought them to the Champions League/European Cup, for the first and only time in the entire history of the club. He led AZ Alkmaar to their second most successful European campaign in the entire history of the club. These are massive achievements. He was in charge of the Ajax youth setup in the early 1990s, and reorganised and modernised the whole thing. This is something he could also help do in Ireland - to look at the big picture, together with Ruud Dokter.

We have to look beyond Premier League managers and other big names like Trapattoni.

Did Co Adriaanse not lose the players and staffs confidence in him during his time at AZ through over experimentation though which led to his sacking? Same issue at Ajax I believe which led him to be fired - known for making controversial stmts to the press about players and staff and his training methods were at times...obscure.

Do we want a manager like that?

I agree with you in that we should be thinking outside the box for the next ireland manager but disagree on your Jol comments...Good Manager, Good Coach, seems to be liked by players and staff and plus has experience of the British and Irish Players mentality through his time at spurs and Fulham.
    Last edited by back of the net; 04/10/2013 at 11:16 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Did Co Adriaanse not lose the players and staffs confidence in him during his time at AZ through over experimentation though which led to his sacking? Same issue at Ajax I believe which led him to be fired - known for making controversial stmts to the press about players and staff and his training methods were at times...obscure.
    Co Adriaanse left AZ for a better paying job at Porto. He wasn't sacked. He then won the double at Porto and left after one year.

He was sacked at Ajax because Ajax is a basket case of a club. In fairness to Jol, that's also why he was sacked at Ajax. If you get on the wrong side of Johan Cruijff, for whatever reason, you are out the door at Ajax.

Quote Originally Posted by geysir
    Co Adriaanse is interesting but he could be a washed up chancer like Rikjard, who knows? He rarely lasts a year with each recent contract, some psychological problems perhaps?
    Rijkaard is good at managing big stars. That's why he did well at Barca, but got Sparta Rotterdam relegated.

Co Adriaanse is good at managing underachieving clubs and getting the most out of a limited group of players. He does everything on his own terms and likes new experiences, that's why he's been going from club to club. So if we appointed him as manager, it might only be for one campaign, yes. But at least you know he won't stick around when the writing is on the wall, like Jack, Mick and Trap did near the end. Adriaanse knows when it's time.

Adriaanse's achievements in football management dwarf those of Jol. Jol is a more skilled politician, though. He'd know how to sweet talk Delaney in a way that Adriaanse doesn't.
    Last edited by brine3; 04/10/2013 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Redknapp is a good manager by EPL standards.
    Jol resigned from Ajax and had good seasons with Spurs before he got the boot. His last full season was probably their best ever season in their modern history. I supposed he chanced upon that with lucky result after lucky result. Where do you get the idea that Fulham is a money club? This is Jol's 3rd season there and the club has sold more than it has bought, to the tune of £4m. Less of the biased, one sided, chancer type assesments please
    In his 1 year at Hamburg he took them to the semis of the UEFA and German cups - first time they had got that far in either competition since the early 80's it seems
    My Country is My Club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I've no doubt he'll be applying and he's certainly worth considering. You'd imagine the Dokter will have a decent insight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Co Adriaanse left AZ for a better paying job at Porto. He wasn't sacked. He then won the double at Porto and left after one year.

Sorry Brine - typo on my part. I meant Twente. Did he not lose the players and staffs confidence there?
    My Country is My Club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I've no doubt he'll be applying and he's certainly worth considering. You'd imagine the Dokter will have a decent insight.
    Was thinking re: Robbie Keane and the fact that he is coming to end of his fantastic career - Jol and him had a fantastic relationship so I believe.

Thoughts on Jol as manager with Keane as a part of his staff. Robbie would be a useful addition in the sense of giving Jol a deeper insight into irish football at all levels...just a thought i had
    My Country is My Club.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I don't think Robbie should get any sidekick gig just because he's been around and gets on with Jol. If we went for a foreign manager I'd sooner give the sidekick / bridge-to-Ireland gig to someone with coaching credentials, Kilbane maybe. In fairness, Noel King probably has all the attributes. I hope his stock rises this month.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

He was sacked at Ajax because Ajax is a basket case of a club. In fairness to Jol, that's also why he was sacked at Ajax. If you get on the wrong side of Johan Cruijff, for whatever reason, you are out the door at Ajax.

Was it not the decision of Beenhaker and not cruyff that ended Co's time at Ajax?
    My Country is My Club.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Was it not the decision of Beenhaker and not cruyff that ended Co's time at Ajax?
    Did someone mention Leo
    Again the guys with the stats - jeez. All I know is anytime i see a Jol team its tactically all over the place. Would be a terrible appointment for a potential EPL cast off

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Cruijff has his fingers in the pie all over the place at Ajax. He's also very good at getting people to do his bidding for him. Cruijff is very accomplished in never taking responsibility for anything but still having a say in everything.

Ajax is a well known snake pit. They've gone through 9 full-time managers and four caretakers since Van Gaal left in 1997.

The worst was probably when Morten Olsen was sacked six months after winning the double in style. He achieved the highest goal difference and points tally in the history of the club and beat PSV 5-0 in the cup final. Gone six months later.
    Last edited by brine3; 04/10/2013 at 12:25 PM.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hence my earlier post!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29636264.html

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29636256.html

....All are back-up options, though, because the real contenders are Irish. Martin O'Neill, the chosen one, has told the FAI – through a third-party – that this is a dream job
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    For some reason i just can't get excited about Queiroz or Meulensteen.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    I don't know much about Meulensteen, other than he was assistant at Old Trafford, but Quieroz wasn't great when he was in charge of Portugal, and lasted less than a year in charge of Real, with a team including Beckham, Zidane, Figo, Raul, etc.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I think it's very unfair on the managers being considered and interviewed for the job that their names etc... are being leaked to the media. Today the word was that Cuper was interviewed during the week and that a call was to be made to Hiddink to canvas his interest... that's just some of it.....
    Someone in the FAI needs to keep a lid on things IMO

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Hardly a surprise in this day and age though...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    For some reason i just can't get excited about Queiroz or Meulensteen.
    For very good reason I can't get excited by them.

Page 52 of 74 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast