Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - who would you replace him with?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    And if we were only paying him half what we're paying him, he'd be paying back 16 years' worth of his own salary in prize money. Perspective.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's not really perspective, it's just unrealistic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Imagine if - hypothetically, of course - we had an English manager managing us against England? Sure we'd never win then.
    Also hypothetical, imagine we had an Italian manager and played Italy. Perhaps in Bari...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    How many campaigns did we miss out on at least the play-offs before Trap came in?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I'd probably go with Jesus considering some of the miracles he's performed, actually looking at the draw for the playoffs there might be some connection there already...

In all seriousness though, he has returned the team to one that is consistently challenging for qualification from one that was an embarrasment prior to his arrival. Yes it's negative at times, yes it's predictable but it's effective. If we had a world class, or even a top level premier division player in the centre of midfield the team would be so much better but unfortunately we don't have that at the moment. That's not any fault of Trap's, and with a bit of luck someone will emerge in spectacular fashion over the next six months and take the team to the next level at the Euro's.

Given his age and the stage he's taken the team to, it might be best to replace him after the Euro's but I don't think we'll really appreciate how good he's been until he's gone. It'll be very difficult to attract a top class manager to replace him, Tardelli stepping up seems the most likely.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 13/10/2011 at 2:58 PM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    How many campaigns did we miss out on at least the play-offs before Trap came in?
    Three in a row. Finished 3rd and 4th under Kerr, and 3rd - ten points adrift - under Stan.

That 4th place was achieved despite having Roy Keane, a slim-ish Andy Reid, a Chelsea-era Duff and a fit Steven Reid at our disposal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Three in a row. Finished 3rd and 4th under Kerr, and 3rd - ten points adrift - under Stan.

That 4th place was achieved despite having Roy Keane, a slim-ish Andy Reid, a Chelsea-era Duff and a fit Steven Reid at our disposal.

the fourth place is the one that really rankles for me.. those two ropey games against the israelies. SHould have walked that group...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    This situation reminds me very much of the situation of Benitez with Liverpool.

He has achieved success that the managers before have failed to do.Even though it isnt attractive and it isnt the very best but it is consistent and will a bit of help it could be very good.

Rafa won a champions league,made the highest points margin in premier league history to never win it.Won an Fa cup lost out in a league cup final and champions league final and 1 semi in both the uefa and champions league yet people still called for his head.He never quite won the League but alot of that had to do with two absolute idiots who took over the club and ****ed everything up untill the last few months.

Half the fans called for his head because of the media being very negative towards him and people couldnt just look at the cold facts and make their own mind up that he was a good guy.

Very similair with trap.

Since McCarty we have struggled to come close to qualifying for anything under anyone.Kerr had a very strong team on his hands and he couldnt do it (in I remember a weak group in Euro 2004?) same in 2006.We did very poor competitively with our best team in 15 years. In 2008 stauton was ****e.

In 2010 campaign under Trap we finished second in a group were we were third seed.We went unbeaten in the group also ,that is a very good achievement and as much as the football was not great that is success in my eyes. We got outplayed at home lost 1-0 and outplayed the french away and won 1-0 then got terribly unlucky not to at least get penalties after the handball goal. That was success with a bit of bad luck.

This campaign we have went 9 games without conceding .Finished second ,after being third seeds, by 4 points and now look odds on to go to euro 2012 ,the first tournament for us since 2002.All this and people still call for his head. Maybe it makes more sense in our eyes to play McCarthy Long Fahey and give Andy Reid a call up.But this man knows more than any of us and has got us where we wanna be.

Regardless of how good it looks its a job well done and done well.People woudl rather form and opinion by listening to drunken Dunphy.There is a reason he is not a manager.There is a reason trap is and with a relatively weaker team than the years before he has done a harder job .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Oh yeh,Replace him with Hughton or O Neill.They have both done good jobs with weak teams over the years.Hughton with less experience but he has already been part of the Irish set up so that would work in his favour

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Don't people remember that it was McCarthy who f***ed up 2004 after losing the first two games then quitting. Kerr was only responsible for 2006 really. That group was there for the taking and the two draws against Israel let us down in the end. But the three teams above us remained unbeaten. W4 D5 L1. Too many draws. Hmm. Sounds familiar.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    Don't people remember that it was McCarthy who f***ed up 2004 after losing the first two games then quitting. Kerr was only responsible for 2006 really. That group was there for the taking and the two draws against Israel let us down in the end. But the three teams above us remained unbeaten. W4 D5 L1. Too many draws. Hmm. Sounds familiar.
    the debate over who was really to blame for 2004 will rage on for a while yet I think. Kerr's relationship with the press had yet to detiorate, although some of the warning signs were there towards the end, so he didn't get pilloried the way McCarthy would have been following the 0-0 away to Albania, or the last minute winner from an OG at home to the same side.
    Looking back at the results - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Eu...fying_Group_10 - I don't think there's any that he got that McCarthy wouldn't have, although the shadow of Roy Keane would have still loomed large over each one had Mick still been in charge.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Incidentally, there's a similar debate currently raging on boards.ie here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2056418188
    Some of the opinions there beggar belief.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I remember Kerr being hailed as a miracle worker for getting Ireland back on track in that group, despite only getting results that anyone would have expected to get.

I was quite fond of Kerr actually. Some really lame performances when it counted was what did for him in my mind. Desperately unlucky at home to Israel mind.

Speaking of luck & Trap etc., people seem only to look back as far as Paris. I go way further back.

Examples include:

- Heysel '81 - avenged in '86?
    - Chris Woods not being penalised when England snuck a draw in Poland. Blatant penalty that would probably have qualified us instead of England. Still waiting on retribution for this one!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    I still think Trap will shake things up if we qualify, but I would think that a new manager would change the team and approach totally.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    While I agree we can and should play better football, the attitude of some of Trap's detractors is amazing. Spoiled by the Premier League, which itself is no pretty painting for the most part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I remember Kerr being hailed as a miracle worker for getting Ireland back on track in that group, despite only getting results that anyone would have expected to get.
    Pretty much, anything he did was because of the attention to detail that was lacking under Mick's reign, not because it was expected. Read a really good article years ago about how, when a manager is replaced, the media and fans focus on his biggest failing and look for someone who is strong at that, ignoring what (if anything) was done right
    AFAIR Newcastle was given at the example
    Dalglish - sacked because of low finish (13th) and uninspiring football
    Gullit - reputation for "sexy football" after managing Chelsea, sacked after alienating the crowd
    Robson - strong support from the crowd, sacked after being seen to not keeping discipline in the changing room
    Souness - reputation for being a strong disciplinarian

Applying that to Ireland
    Mick - reputation for not doing enough preparation
    Kerr - known for meticulous preparation, lost the dressing room
    Staunton - popular in the dressing room, terrible at, well, everything else
    Trapattoni - good at most of the aspects of game.

I think the public opinion of Trapattoni's eventual successor is that he will bring through younger players, and play more expansive football.

I was quite fond of Kerr actually. Some really lame performances when it counted was what did for him in my mind. Desperately unlucky at home to Israel mind.
    hmm, I would argue that replacing Keane with Kavanagh, moving Kilbane to the left, and Duff up front (when he had been destroying their left full all game) - effectively three changes instead of one (Elliott for Keane) - was the reason we didn't win that game.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    and then he sent out a team to put in the most awful lack lustre performance I have ever witnessed v the swiss in 03. after spending weeks chasing ebay tickets to get into the ground i just couldnt believe we could look so passionless

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I would argue that replacing Keane with Kavanagh, moving Kilbane to the left, and Duff up front (when he had been destroying their left full all game) - effectively three changes instead of one (Elliott for Keane) - was the reason we didn't win that game.
    Well, at least you haven't fallen into the trap of saying it was a defensive substitution!

I agree that it was a dumb move, but still think that the second half was a freak.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post

Personally I would love to see The Boy get it, but we all know, he wont!

Have the Boy lay out my formal shorts:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    While I agree we can and should play better football, the attitude of some of Trap's detractors is amazing.
    WTF??

The attitude of almost all of Traps detractors is that we can and should play better football.

Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast