Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sligo attendance row

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts

Sligo attendance row

Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    Rugby is overtaking soccer in the City and with Connacht now being in the Heineken Cup will only grow stronger to the detriment of all strands of soccer in Galway. Their is a thread here about the future of the league after the last 2 weeks I despair for the future as common sense is gone out the window and unless we all work together we are goosed.
    Don't know what planet you're on... Galway was never and will never be a football town. The place is full of blow ins, roasters, and crusties all of who just jump on what every bandwagon is going. The gah, rugger, and even you lot for a short while all get their moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    Don't know what planet you're on... Galway was never and will never be a football town. The place is full of blow ins, roasters, and crusties all of who just jump on what every bandwagon is going. The gah, rugger, and even you lot for a short while all get their moment.
    Now that makes me smile .Limerick hasnt been a loi town for nearly 25 yrs and your support has been abysmal .Even with a sugar daddy now ye are still struggling to get get in the top three and yere attendances are hardly setting the world alight.

We are trying to rebuild a club after 5 years of mismanagment and with the fans at the helm. Its not going to happen overnight and none of us know whether we will be succesful at it but it wont be for lack of effort.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Now that makes me smile .Limerick hasnt been a loi town for nearly 25 yrs and your support has been abysmal .Even with a sugar daddy now ye are still struggling to get get in the top three and yere attendances are hardly setting the world alight.

We are trying to rebuild a club after 5 years of mismanagment and with the fans at the helm. Its not going to happen overnight and none of us know whether we will be succesful at it but it wont be for lack of effort.
    ill excuse your ignorance

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    We've been rebuilding a club for the last 5 years that for about 15 years previous had been mismanaged. We have not
    had the extra attraction of playing in the premier to help us. The only reason we have a "sugar daddy" as you call him now is because of the hard work that was put in over the last number of years to try get the structures right and try get more professional off the field. I love the way everyone thinks overnight Limerick just suddenly became more stable.

I agree though that Limerick probably isn't a LOI town but Name one club in the country that could spend more than 4 or 5 years in the first division and sustain crowds of over maybe 800-900, I'd say none.

On the Mervue match, we had about 70 on the side we where on and Mervue had about 100 to 150. The only way they had anywhere near the attendance mentioned was if there was a few hundred in their clubhouse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post

I agree though that Limerick probably isn't a LOI town but Name one club in the country that could spend more than 4 or 5 years in the first division and sustain crowds of over maybe 800-900, I'd say none.
    Sligo.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Sligo.
    How long where Sligo in the first division and what kind of numbers did they have regularly?

edit: 5 years was their longest run but attendances?
    Last edited by Jofspring; 02/10/2011 at 3:24 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

That joke shop you're all trying to desperately pull out of the fire up there has done alright out of Limerick and our "sugar daddy" in the last eighteen months.

Think before you fire your toys around on the internet.

Sligo.
    I remember the mighty Sligo bringing 2 (two) fans to Pike Rovers for an end of season game when they were struggling in the First Division.

Couple of years later they brought 100 to Rathbane when they were going well.

Swings and roundabouts.

SEVENTEEN unbroken years the city of Limerick has been represented in the First Division, always playing in the worst ground in the country, be it Pike, Rathbane or Jackman.

No other town or cities experienced it so meh.

If Limerick have a "sugar daddy" now, it's the result of some bloody hard work done off the field in the last two or three years.

So you know where I'd like ye all to stick the oul lectures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I remember the mighty Sligo bringing 2 (two) fans to Pike Rovers for an end of season game when they were struggling in the First Division.
    Neither poster claimed we were bringing hundreds to away games so that point is fairly irrelevant.
    The darkest period of our stay in the first division, in the 4th season when Don O'Riordan was finally given the bullet I think crowds were averageing about 700 or so.

As for the Galway game, would have said 2500.
    We are never going to average over 2500 in the medium term unless there is a colossaul change in Irish football because we simply dont have the population centre, the town is only about 20000-25000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    The darkest period of our stay in the first division, in the 4th season when Don O'Riordan
    A full thirteen years short of a seventeen year stint.

Good stuff. I WASN'T HAVING A POP OFF Sligo. I wouldn't dream of it, I know there's hundreds of them on here. Was just pointing out, for those that need it pointed out to them, that teams that do well tend to have larger crowds than teams that don't do well. Was only in The Showgrounds twice so the away games were an easier comparison.

Limerick, as a city, hasn't done well at senior soccer for a generation, with the team togging out in various hovels. Therefore..... well we can all figure it out.

We are never going to average over 2500 in the medium term unless there is a colossaul change in Irish football because we simply dont have the population centre, the town is only about 20000-25000
    Never going to average much more no matter what happens I'd say.

Easily (along with Dundalk) the best supported club in the country.

For various reasons, not because you're all special or anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    A full thirteen years short of a seventeen year stint.

Good stuff. I WASN'T HAVING A POP OFF Sligo. I wouldn't dream of it, I know there's hundreds of them on here. Was just pointing out, for those that need it pointed out to them, that teams that do well tend to have larger crowds than teams that don't do well. Was only in The Showgrounds twice so the away games were an easier comparison.

Limerick, as a city, hasn't done well at senior soccer for a generation, with the team togging out in various hovels. Therefore..... well we can all figure it out.
    Nothing there I disagree with, it would be pure fantasy to suggest the 700 or so brave souls enduring Don O'Riordans muck would all still be there in another 13 years in the graveyard.
    Being in the first division per se isnt always going to murder your crowds, an exception would be a promotion season but its been a long time since Limerick has had a real chance of promotion.
    Hence why I dont buy the whole rising from the ash's fairly tail story Shams have crafted over the past few seasons, 1 season in the first division is easy, a club surviving over a pro-longed period in the first division is quite the opposite.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Boll**ks. Sligo never had crowds of 700 when they were struggling to get out of the first division. Never had more than 300 or 400 at games tops. Remember Harps fans going down there every season outnumbering Sligos home crowd. Disagree if you wish Sligo fans, but it is most definitely the case as I'm sure any Harps fans on here will back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Boll**ks. Sligo never had crowds of 700 when they were struggling to get out of the first division. Never had more than 300 or 400 at games tops. Remember Harps fans going down there every season outnumbering Sligos home crowd. Disagree if you wish Sligo fans, but it is most definitely the case as I'm sure any Harps fans on here will back up.
    I would say you are on the money but it's of little relevance to us now as we challenge for the league and cup and those crowds are a distant memory for us but a reality for yourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    I would say you are on the money but it's of little relevance to us now as we challenge for the league and cup and those crowds are a distant memory for us but a reality for yourselves.
    Spot on, it's irrevelant either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Harps never outnumbered Rovers in the Showgrounds, they brought on average when pushing for promtion of about 300, although on one occasion brought 500 or 600 and no way was there only 300 or 400 in the home support. 700 or 800 was the average during O Riordans era, crowds would be decent for the start of the season thinking this would be the year and dip accorrdingly due to the teams form. Some crowds would of been 400 or 500 but never against Harps.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Ahh ya good man yourself.
    Like I said around 700 during the darkest days and ya nice story about Harps fans outnumbering the home support, your good craic.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I do recall attending Finn Park last FAI and Sligo fans outnumbered a tragic number of Harps supporters. Harps fans outnumbered Rovers in the Showgies? -- you must have banged your headed walking in and seen triple vision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by red bellied View Post
    Harps never outnumbered Rovers in the Showgrounds, they brought on average when pushing for promtion of about 300, although on one occasion brought 500 or 600 and no way was there only 300 or 400 in the home support. 700 or 800 was the average during O Riordans era, crowds would be decent for the start of the season thinking this would be the year and dip accorrdingly due to the teams form. Some crowds would of been 400 or 500 but never against Harps.
    Take it from one that knows, Red Bells is right, the only team whoever outnumbered the home support in the Showgs were Derry, TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.

TBH the only clubs with any meaningful constant support in the LOI in Sligo over the last 40 years are Bohs, Corks, Derry, Dundalk, Pats, Shels and Shams, the rest had their days and faded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    , TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.
    Could have looked at the pitch tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pietro
    I think that says everything that needs to be said about where we should be.
    Ugh, it's back.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Turners Cross.

Tuesday night.

First Division.

Opposition: Monaghan United.

Attendance.

I think that says everything that needs to be said about where we should be.
    Nope it says you have a loyal following in a city where there are no other teams. Results will dictate were you should be. It must be very exciting to be on the verge of promotion after only 2 years of existence....

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,359 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Take it from one that knows, Red Bells is right, the only team whoever outnumbered the home support in the Showgs were Derry, TBH we saw so few Harps fans over the years I used to forget what colours they Played in.

TBH the only clubs with any meaningful constant support in the LOI in Sligo over the last 40 years are Bohs, Corks, Derry, Dundalk, Pats, Shels and Shams, the rest had their days and faded.

Hah! That really did make me laugh. Very very much. In first division matches through the early 00's and late 90's in Sligo v Harps, I never saw less than 200 Harps fans travel down. If you say otherwise you sir, are a fool. Seriously, your statement about so little Harps fans really is hilariously off the mark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast