Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: RTE Secret Millionaire

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

RTE Secret Millionaire

Does anyone know a way I could watch the episode of this that was on last night? It's not on the RTE Player that I can see and not sure if RTE has any plans of repeating it anytime soon. My cousin apparently is one of the people that got a cheque at the end of it, hence me asking.
    Last edited by horton; 04/10/2011 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Fiddle sticks. I checked boards.ie and it seems it can be watched on RTE Player. Does anyone know how to get around the RTE Player boundaries as I'm only able to see the international version[I'm in Derry].

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Fiddle sticks. I checked boards.ie and it seems it can be watched on RTE Player. Does anyone know how to get around the RTE Player boundaries as I'm only able to see the international version[I'm in Derry].
    It could end up on Irish Torrents if you're up for signing up there (I can invite you if you'd like). Other options would be using a proxy to access RTE Player (not that complicated) or a top secret one with me helping you out though would be a bit time consuming. Any of those sound good to you?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    It could end up on Irish Torrents if you're up for signing up there (I can invite you if you'd like). Other options would be using a proxy to access RTE Player (not that complicated) or a top secret one with me helping you out though would be a bit time consuming. Any of those sound good to you?
    are you the secret millionare worm?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    are you the secret millionare worm?
    I hope so, if so its so secret that I don't know it and haven't seen any of the money yet.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Irish torrents?! Never heard of that site, PM sent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Lads was going to post on this - I have never ever seen anything as awful as this show. It is crute, vulgar and is essentially the rich person lording it over the working class types who clearly have not been as successful as our brilliant knight in shining armour

But he is now coming along to wave cash in their face, and if they are lucky, he will drop a few quid from his wallet as he swings by. And we get to watch it all on tv - look, congratulations for being rich - happy for you. Now, you probably pay more tax than most - thanks. If you also want to donate to charity, I think I speak for everyone when I say - From society - thank you.

But that in no way allows you to strut, showboat or to wave your cash around like you can fix some disease that you have seen in deprived areas. You are not better than these folks - you are luckier / better at business / have taken risks / have inherited money / have genuine skills that society values. Whatever it is - but in what parallel vortex did someone approve this mawkish, horrific load of dreck to be made into a TV programme

There is bad TV, then some distance beyond that there is voyeuristic TV (eg Kerry Katona), then eons beyond that we have Jeremy Kyle (where all us middle class types get to laugh at the underclass) - but a million miles into the absolute nadir of tastlessness and classlessness is the Secret Millionaire.

I am genuinely delighted that some folks get cash out of this that they otherwise would not - but I find it utterly reprehensible that it comes along with the baggage of making a "celebrity" look good.

www.getitthehelloffmytv.com
    DB Cooper is alive !

9. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Whilst I get that criticism of the show, I think for many in the country it is a real eye opener as to the conditions that some communities still live, and what a waste was made of the boom. In that respect, I think the show's good probably outweighs the bad.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Lads was going to post on this - I have never ever seen anything as awful as this show. It is crute, vulgar and is essentially the rich person lording it over the working class types who clearly have not been as successful as our brilliant knight in shining armour

But he is now coming along to wave cash in their face, and if they are lucky, he will drop a few quid from his wallet as he swings by.

But that in no way allows you to strut, showboat or to wave your cash around like you can fix some disease that you have seen in deprived areas.
    I haven't seen the Irish version of the show, but the Channel 4 version is nothing like that. It's up to the individual to put money in at the end to anything he/she sees fit. And there's no showboating or strutting. You make out as if the person watches all this on telly from a distance in their palace and decrees who gets what. They go there, meet people, do the dirty work for a week.

You don't think that the self-made millionaires who are successful in business are just going to hand out their own money for vanity, do you? They're successful in business for a very good reason and it's not for throwing money away. There are some who go into it determined not to give anything, but do.
    Last edited by dfx-; 10/10/2011 at 1:45 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I watched a few of the C4 episodes and they were excellent. Not a hint of lording it at all.

I watched the first Irish show and didn't like it much. There was something just not right with it - can't really describe it, the C4 seemed grimier or something. On RTE there was too many distance shots of TSM sitting watching tv in the front room of the 3bed semi. Also, and I'll qualify this by saying I can't remember how the C4 TSM sourced their charities, but I found it odd that the driver who picked him up in the station was the recipient of the 25k.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!