Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who do you intend to vote for in the 2011 presidential election?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gay Mitchell

4 9.30%
  • Martin McGuinness

14 32.56%
  • Mary Davis

2 4.65%
  • Séan Gallagher

0 0%
  • David Norris

6 13.95%
  • Dana Rosemary Scallon

0 0%
  • Michael D Higgins

16 37.21%
  • None of the above

1 2.33%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 2011 Presidential Election- Start of Campaign Poll

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Precisely my point, Spud. Governments here just don't want students voting - they're too unpredictable and anti-establishment! (The first mortgage knocks some of that out of them!) I don't know about prosecution without representation since the Inquiries wouldn't have had power of sentencing, so technically no prosecution, although findings of fact could be construed as a verdict on an individual's good name and reputation. Nobody mentioned what I thought was an obvious flaw: that when media reported on Inquiry findings it would be impossible for the DPP to prosecute a trial - get your barrister to shout 'adverse media comment' and you'd be off the hook.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    get off your high horse, I tried to, as did a few others I know, I didn't know the dates and inquired too late as I had assumed I would make it back (didn't realize it was on a Thursday until about 3 weeks before the election).

By then it literally was a choice of eating or voting so..
    You having a laugh?

We have a Presidential election every 7 years normally (See the thundering disgrace and Childers). So it was clear 14 years ago that all going to plan there would have been an election around now.

As well as that Norris was the first person to launch his campaign back in March so there was some media coverage since at least then.

There's also the fact that the next presidential has to be held no more than 60 days before the ending of the incumbents' term which narrows the window somewhat.

And then it was announced on the 27th July 2011 that we were to have an election on 27th October 2011.

This was the most media-obsessed election in history so really, there was no excuse. As well as that in the lead up to the October 3rd Supplementary Register deadline there was a lot of media coverage about the deadline.

So to be honest, I fail to see how I am on my high-horse because you and your mates weren't informed enough.

It's the typical Irish attitude of making excuses for this and that rather than man up and accept your own responsibility.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    By date I meant as in date, by where I could apply for the postal vote, I knew the dates of the election but did not realize it was on a Thursday, I could have gone home and voted and also worked, but I had committed to doing some voluntary work in the peoples park yesterday so I couldn't afford to go down and vote. Things aren't always as black and white as people like to paint it..

All the crap in the media overshadowed any vaguely useful information, and to be honest, I like to think I don't have my head so far up my arse that I don't generally know when things are happening I accepted responsibility a few posts back,I did however just state that I feel Thursday is a terrible time to have it and I do not recall much information stating said election was to happen mid week, sadly I don't know dates and days like the back of my hand.

I just don't like your tone. I have better things to worry about than who lied about something once upon a time so does not deserve a pointless yet prestigious position.(Hence why I obviously didn't have my facts right and led to the whole unhappy situation) I would however have liked to have a say no matter how insignificant my vote is, and its the first time I have not voted in anything since I became eligible actually so I don't like to be cast into the column of lazy useless people we seem to have so many of in our wonderful little country.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 30/10/2011 at 1:20 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Students could always have registered at their term time address. Whatever about justification for local and general elections - for the presidential election it really didn't matter.

And just to repeat, turnout was up compared to 1997 - so much for increased apathy this time around due to the candidate choices and disillusion with mainstream politicians. And 1997 had only 1 politician!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    I just don't like your tone.
    No harm, but your tone implies that everyone else is more to blame than you. Stuff like -

All the crap in the media overshadowed any vaguely useful information
    I knew the dates of the election but did not realize it was on a Thursday
    I have better things to worry about
    By then it literally was a choice of eating or voting
    I do not recall much information stating said election was to happen mid week
    (The latter is rendered void by the fact that I can't remember an election that wasn't on mid-week)

All this comes across as a very standard "shift the blame" attitude, trying everything to avoid saying that you simply messed up and didn't bother looking into things properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Mick arrives at his new crib...

Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    No harm, but your tone implies that everyone else is more to blame than you. Stuff like -..
    I did say I fecked up by not knowing below thou, but everything I said is true! And I was only 8 odd at the last election, so my knowledge of all this lark wouldn't be to the same level as the vast majority of you guys. I don't disagree with much of what anyone said in opposition to what I stated, just felt a bit like I was being pointed out as an example of everything that is wrong with this generation (believe me there is a lot wrong with some sections, just like in every generation) so felt entitled to at least try and justify myself.

I do still think Thursday is a silly day for it no matter what anyone says.
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 31/10/2011 at 11:49 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Acornvilla, I agree with you on the day of the vote. It should always be a Saturday, or at least a Friday. However I don't believe that a switch of days would have led to greater interest in voting. That was killed on Monday night and Tuesday morning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    (The latter is rendered void by the fact that I can't remember an election that wasn't on mid-week)

All this comes across as a very standard "shift the blame" attitude, trying everything to avoid saying that you simply messed up and didn't bother looking into things properly.
    The 1987 GE was held on a Tuesday. The 2002 Nice Treaty ref was held on a Saturday. The last abortion referendum was held on a Wednesday. They are usually on Thursdays and Fridays though, in order to follow the British tradition.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

11. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    However I don't believe that a switch of days would have led to greater interest in voting. That was killed on Monday night and Tuesday morning.
    Turnout was reasonable at 56% - up on the last one (47%), down on 1990 (64%). Last actual election before that was 73. You are attributing too much to Monday night and Tuesday Morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mypost
    They are usually on Thursdays and Fridays though, in order to follow the British tradition.
    I'd have thought it's also to do with having the counts over the weekend - not pulling people out day jobs for the counts (both election officials and candidate teams/ tallymen).

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    A leprechaun with a slightly effiminate affected voice as President. Sure what more could we want?

The Presidential race showed that it is more embarrassing now to own up to being a FF member than to being a murderer.

Then we had a tailor's dummy, a Eurovision winner that there were assassination attempts on, the Special K lady and someone who spoke as if they had not one but 10 plums in their mouth.

Great entertainment. Now back to reality. Jaysus, that was reality
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    The Presidential race showed that it is more embarrassing now to own up to being a FF member than to being a murderer.
    Nonsense. It shows that you'll get caught out telling porkies about your level of involvement with FF, and changing your story multiple times.

Before he was even an official nominee, his FF past was outed, which he downplayed and kept harping on about not being connected to politicians and talking about grassroots members. He still went to 40% in the opinion polls. He crashed when his version of his involvement was picked apart.
    Last edited by Macy; 01/11/2011 at 10:26 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    A leprechaun with a slightly effiminate affected voice as President. Sure what more could we want?

Then we had a tailor's dummy, a Eurovision winner that there were assassination attempts on, the Special K lady and someone who spoke as if they had not one but 10 plums in their mouth.

Great entertainment. Now back to reality. Jaysus, that was reality
    Showed that civil war politics hasnt gone away, that RtE and the Independent are a joke (but we knew that!), Ireland is still fairly prejudiced against the gaymen, and FF still have enuff knuckleheads to vote for them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    I'd have thought it's also to do with having the counts over the weekend - not pulling people out day jobs for the counts (both election officials and candidate teams/ tallymen).
    They still have the counts over the weekend anyway.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    They still have the counts over the weekend anyway.
    Yeah, that's my point. Thursday election, counts start on Friday, and then continue over the weekend. Even in a General Election, that means most counts are finished early the following week if they aren't concluded on the Sunday. Less disruption to council business. Saturday elections mean counts start on the Sunday, so they disrupt more of the working week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The Presidential race showed that it is more embarrassing now to own up to being a FF member than to being a murderer
    Being a FF man didn't kill off Gallagher (he had also said he was an ex-Party member who sat on their national executive)

LYING about the level of his involvement killed him off.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Being a FF man didn't kill off Gallagher (he had also said he was an ex-Party member who sat on their national executive)

LYING about the level of his involvement killed him off.
    He lied about it extensively long before the tide turned against him. There was a long run of inconsistent answers from him over when exactly he resigned from the party, when he left their national executive, his role on the executive, his reasons for associating with FF at all ... it was patently obvious that he was lying about his involvement with FF many weeks before he polled at 39%. What killed him was the evasion about money in an envelope for FF. That's a powerful image in this country.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I'd go along with Dodge's interpretation, certainly Gallagher was evasive and vague all along before that show, but he had not been so publicly nailed until that moment. The envelope image was the indelible icing on the drama.
    All in all, it was a classic tv drama/debate the way it evolved and all the better for Kenny not being aggressive.
    You can imagine all the rte crew doing high fives at the end of that show.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516