Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Goal of the season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Goal of the season

Heard in Finn Park last night that the Longford Town goal of the season is only going to be open to the nomination of goals scored at HOME ! How can this be ? Considering we play and SCORE away from home ! Is the major point here being that the "important people in deciding it" do only be in Flancare Park and the odd game here and there ? Well I have been to all but 1 away game this year (which I missed doing my coaching badges) and we have seen some wonderful goals ie. Crawley in Monaghan, Walshe in Wexford and Skelly in Cork. What does this say to the players ? Don't bother trying or scoring away from home cos there is only a handful of people there so it doesn't matter ! The same people would be the first to criticise when the lads lose even though they don't see the great performance or even the bad decisions that have cost us more than once this season. It is very easy to sit and criticise but it takes alot for the players to take time off work, time away from their kids and family and so on to get no recognition from the people they try their best to represent.
    De groot nummer 10

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    That's stupid alright if true. Now clearly goals scored at home will have been seen by more people but it should be an open vote and if people saw a great goal away from home they should be allowed nominate it. Wouldn't go reading too much into what it does or doesn't tell the players however. I'm not sure it's a massive priority for them either way.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    As a representative of the supporters club, I have mentioned on numerous occasions to all the committee about Aussie's goal in Cork. I know the player of the season is by poll. The goal of the season was always decided by a vote by committee members but I would like to see that change and get members of the supporters club nominate their own choice either home or away. I will be meeting up with a few of them at the table quiz this weds and will feedback yer concerns and I will keep ye posted as I dont want anyone penalised for scoring a spectacular goal away from home and not being rewarded for it.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Have to agree with massop10's post that away goals should be counted. We have has an amazing season for spectacular goals.....Walsh free kick V athlone, Morley corner V Athlone, Deans V Mervue , Aussie over head V mervue, Don V Harps and a few others from him too. But for me Crawleys in Monaghan was as Massop said at the time and exactely what I was thinking after ge hit it 'worth the admission alone'